Forney's lousy customer service
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Forney's lousy customer service

Awhile back I purchased a Forney 235 AC/DC welder from Forney in Colorado. I later
    ordered a wheel kit from them. After putting the wheels and bracket on the front when
    I tried to put the handle on it I found it wouldn’t fit. I needed the handle that would fit
    the round holes in the top of the welder and the handle in the wheel kit was square.
    So I contacted Forney customer service and asked them to send a round handle and
    I would send the square one back. Also I included a picture of the top of my welder
    so they could send the right one. Well after several emails back and forth and getting
    nowhere with their horrible customer service I gave up and had my credit card company
    reverse the charges. At least I’m not out any money. So I just want to let forum members
    know my dealings with Forney and so be warned. They must be using a lot of that
    Colorado weed in their customer service department. Needless to say I won’t be buying
    any more Forney products and wish I had bought some other companies welder.

Re: Forney's lousy customer service

Their business model is mostly point-of-sale displays at hardware stores. For what they get for that buzzbox I'd track down a used industrial transformer machine or get a new Lincoln or Hobart buzzbox. (My Lincoln AC-225/DC-125 is probably the best welding investment I ever made and it's still going strong after thirty years.)

++ on the chargeback! I've only had to unleash the wrath of Visa twice, but it was well worth it both times.

Well I already bought the Forney and have used it. Looking back I probably should have bought the Lincoln ac/dc. However the Forney is a transformer based welder made in Italy. It welds
    good and I guess I will keep it. I made a handle for it and don't do that much stick welding. I prefer mig with gas, it's cleaner when you are welding in a closed garage in winter.

Fourney had a good reputation back when every
    service station had a Fourney stick welder. Now
    they seem to be using that reputation to sell some
    mediocre welding products. Most of the stuff on the
    “welding” rack at the hardware store seems ok (except
    the tip cleaners, which came apart in my hand the first
    time I used them).
    It’s a little like Black and Decker. They made big,heavy duty,
    power tools way back when. Now they sell crap using their
    strong brand name.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Yes and most of their stuff is foreign made, mostly chinese. You might as well go to HF.

Quote Originally Posted by Podman View Post
    Awhile back I purchased a Forney 235 AC/DC welder from Forney in Colorado. I later
    ordered a wheel kit from them. After putting the wheels and bracket on the front when
    I tried to put the handle on it I found it wouldn’t fit. I needed the handle that would fit
    the round holes in the top of the welder and the handle in the wheel kit was square.
    So I contacted Forney customer service and asked them to send a round handle and
    I would send the square one back. Also I included a picture of the top of my welder
    so they could send the right one. Well after several emails back and forth and getting
    nowhere with their horrible customer service I gave up and had my credit card company
    reverse the charges. At least I’m not out any money. So I just want to let forum members
    know my dealings with Forney and so be warned. They must be using a lot of that
    Colorado weed in their customer service department. Needless to say I won’t be buying
    any more Forney products and wish I had bought some other companies welder.
    My self I build all wheel kits
    Even if it was Miller or Hobart
    I get what need large wheels no air tires

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

I made my own wheel kit for my (purchased new in) mid 1960's Forney AC

Large wheels in back. Swivel casters in the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

That's a nice wheel set. I plan to do something like that this coming winter. Temps here in OK are going to hit 100 next week! Too hot to work much in shop. I guess I will spend time
    this summer planning on projects for the fall.

This doesnt surprise me. I too was interested in this unit and i couldnt even get anybody to pick up the phone or email me back. Email 3 times.

I wish you luck

I've given up on Forney and built my own handle and plan to add wheels on the front like Lis2323 did on his. Will be a good fall or winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I made my own wheel kit for my (purchased new in) mid 1960's Forney AC

Large wheels in back. Swivel casters in the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I need to do that with my Thunderbolt. I foolishly ordered the Miller wheel kit and when it came the wheels were tiny and the handle short, you have to tip it waaaay back so it'll roll and with that short handle and me being 6'3" I look like Chuck Berry doing the Chicken Walk when I roll it around.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.