taper bearing setting how to?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

taper bearing setting how to?

I have a gear box that Im wanting to double check the load on the bearings. the bearings were replace 500 hours ago and Im thinking the mechanic just threw the old spacers back in without checking my problems is I haven't ever dealt with shimmed bearing gear box how do you tell how much preload they have? I dont think that plastigauge would work so how is it done? there is some welding I had to weld a nut to one of the allen headed bolts they had stripped out trying to get it to quit leaking.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: taper bearing setting how to?

They do not get preload. They should have .000 to .002 clearance. Some are hard to check but if there is an access door on the gearbox you can remove the door and set up an indicator on the shaft and pry it back and forth to get your clearance. If there is not an access door you can use a heavy gasket like .060 thick to make too much clearance . The use an indicator and pull the shaft back and forth and see what clearance you get . Subtract that from the .060 gasket material and that will give you your gasket thickness you need. Some use steel shims , some you set the clearance with the correct thickness gasket. It is better to have too much clearance than not enough. I would not be concerned with anything up to .005 clearance. I have also used the plastic shim material to set clearance on gearboxes. Some gearboxes can be time consuming to set. If he used the old shim it is probably very close to being correct. New bearings are usually within .0002 of being the same size. If the shaft can not be pulled back and forth for an indicator to read clearance and the bearings do not get hot when in operation it is probably fine.
    Last edited by thegary; 06-04-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Not to start an argument, but the amount of end play and or preload depends greatly on the application of the gearbox and the position of the shaft. High speed input shaft may have upto .008 end play. While the output shaft may have preload on the bearings. Typically the faster the shaft turns the more clearance. Pictures of the box will help with how to check the end play. Have specs for quite a few different gearboxes if you can provide make and model i can check to see if i have.
    Mike

Not that you're gonna listen to anybody (so why post this horse...…)

Gearbox, running in oil...…...less clearance.

If you got fingers, you got the gage you need.

Slight preload should be felt. Forget all that other crap. You can set it by feel.

Very slight drag, and you're good to go.

What is a slight drag??????????? That's your problem, not mine. If you've set bearings, and ruined a few, and had a few run well...…….then you know the feel.

Learn like the rest of us, and have fun

okay here is some pictures the motor is the blue one its a dynex planetary shims are on the outside the motor mounts on the end that is sitting on the pallet as you can see by the 3 bolt holes one with the stub in it that it broke the bolts again
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I'd invest in a set of left hand drill bits for that broken bolt.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

What is this driving? Do you know the max rpm of the output shaft of the gearbox? What is the broken bolt retaining to the shaft? Is there a second bearing on the gearbox shaft?
    Mike

those 3 bolts hold the gear and a pilot spacer that is in a pilot hole in the box, on the spline. as for rpm I dont know probably in the 300 range, final drive is 100 rpm but there is a big bull gear off of that gear. it has 50 gpm going to it up to 4000 psi so its fairly heavy duty
    there is a bearing in the side that is sitting on the pallet that the spline from the motor goes into so it is a one piece unit with spline in and spline out. I got hold of the somebody that works on dynex and they are going to walk me through it when my new shim kit gets here. Im hoping, that the reason the bolts keep breaking is that someone in the past ordered a shim kit and through the whole thing in and called it good. it has almost a .100 of shims
    Last edited by idacal; 06-05-2018 at 09:36 PM.

idacal

When you take pics - hold your device horizontally - your
    text will make more sense, and easier to follow . . .

If: you are delving into depth - and backlash clearances,
    you might consider acquiring . . .

http://www.google.com/search?q=dial+...HVkUB0cQ_AUIBQ

http://www.google.com/search?q=depth...HanvD08Q_AUIBQ

Opus

Opus, I truly hope you hold yourself to the same criticisms as you do of everyone else!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

mla2ofus

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Opus, I truly hope you hold yourself to the same criticisms as you do of everyone else!!
    Mike
    I don't criticize - I critique . . .

http://abacus.bates.edu/~rrichar2/le.../critique.html

You must have fallen - back on the 'Hooper Water' . . .

Opus

I don't think the gearbox is a dynex product, but i could be wrong about that. I also do not think that the shims being in correct would cause the bolts holding the gear on the output shaft to fail. I would expect damage to the planetary gears if it was not shimmed properly. I would check the fit of the splines.
    Mike

I talked to the distributer and he didn't have any written specs on this one. its a brand reich drill bought out and some parts are obsolete I measured the shim stack and the old shims were .064" pulled them out then I used 3 feeler gauge sets and started measuring and torquing down the bolts at .040 the bearings were way to tight started working my way up at .045 I still had some drag when rotating the shaft at .046 there was no noticeable drag more than when it was at .064. the shim kit I got nothing lined up and they told me I was out of luck that was the only one still made so I have a guy going to laser cutting me a new shim stack. Im just wondering how much extra play a good rule of thumb would be on something like this. would a .002 extra be good for when it warms up? I took those picture with a new phone of course it has to be held different than the last one here is some picts it is a dynex its upside down didnt want to flip it to heavy. my table is dirty when it goes back together for good it will be cleaned up the last picture is the gear on the splint does have a small amount of wear. the updated design has a bearing on the end that rides in the tophead case and that cures the bolt breaking problem but I can't afford a new setup right now

There should be a spec from CP to set that bearing, If not, I would snug the bolts to a firm drag and add .005 to the shim pack, that's how we did the rear dropboxes on twin engine Wabco scrapers. Those were high speed/high torque applications.

thanks thats what I will do. this is not real high speed but definitely on the high torque side. but its lubracated by the case drain of the hydraulic motor so hot oil.

my shims got here today I had a shop, this place, https://www.theshimshack.com cut me new ones. I shipped him an old one he drew them up and cut me a stack of different thicknesses had them back to me in 4 days totally impressed. I got to get used to this new phone have to hold it different
    Last edited by idacal; 06-14-2018 at 11:20 PM.