Arcair on smaller machines
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Arcair on smaller machines

So, I was interested in the arc gouging process, but had been hearing ya need at least 300 amps and a big compressor to do it.
    Well, ya, if you work in a shipyard, but since I dont have the jingle to buy a plasma, and have a couple oxy/acet rigs that work fine for cutting, I thought the 55 bucks I bought a arcair torch was worth a go.
    It came with a box of 3/16 ac rods (looked the price, man the ac rods are spendy bits to use) and were about as much as my 200 amp AEAD legend could push, blowin more than my air compressor could do, I did my usual and set to thinking of how I could modify the situation to fit my resources and needs.
    Got a box of 1/8 rods, and as I read a couple threads, I plugged off the outer two of the three air holes on the torch head.
    Not quite but almost working, the 1/8 rods were easy on my machine, but too slaggy and too small a gouge to be worth it.. Got a box of 5/23, better, but still slaggy, just couldnt get a clean cut.
    Light bulb comes on, it's the air stream that needs improved.
    So I cut off a 3/4 inch long piece of 1/8" copper tubing, and brazed that to the middle hole of the shoe, and bent, tapped, and finessed it to where it would focus the air to about a 1" jet of air at the tip of the rod at about 4-5" out.
    With a regular head the air fans out 5-6 inches, I set mine so the air blast is about a inch around the electrode tip, feeling it with my finger.
    Eureka!, man, running at tap 6 (of 7 taps) and 80% fine current control (180 ampish), not lugging the machine at all, it gouges beautifully.
    No, you dont need 600 amps and a diesel screw compressor to arc gouge, the torches are just designed for that.

Re: Arcair on smaller machines

Great, post some pictures.

Man, I prefer dealing with welding equipment than puter stuff, my old camera wont work with win10, and I aint buying another.
    I used to post pics, but prefer typing. I know, pics or it didnt happen, but if what I say makes sense to anyone, maybe it was worth the post...
    Let alone becoming a youtuber with half my day, tho I appreciate those that provide that, as they can.
    Last edited by Poleframer; 06-07-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Poleframer

You are not the only one - that can type - faster then you can think . . .

I have taken the liberty of seperating your text for readability - without editing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Poleframer View Post

So, I was interested in the arc gouging process, but had been hearing ya need at least
    300 amps and a big compressor to do it.

Well, ya, if you work in a shipyard, but since I dont have the jingle to buy a plasma,
    and have a couple oxy/acet rigs that work fine for cutting, I thought the 55 bucks I
    bought a arcair torch was worth a go.

It came with a box of 3/16 ac rods (looked the price, man the ac rods are spendy bits
    to use) and were about as much as my 200 amp AEAD legend could push, blowin
    more than my air compressor could do,

I did my usual and set to thinking of how I could modify the situation to fit my resources
    and needs.

Got a box of 1/8 rods, and as I read a couple threads, I plugged off the outer two of the
    three air holes on the torch head.

Not quite but almost working, the 1/8 rods were easy on my machine, but too slaggy
    and too small a gouge to be worth it . . .

Got a box of 5/23, better, but still slaggy, just couldnt get a clean cut. Light bulb comes
    on, it's the air stream that needs improved.

So I cut off a 3/4 inch long piece of 1/8" copper tubing, and brazed that to the middle
    hole of the shoe, and bent, tapped, and finessed it to where it would focus the air to
    about a 1" jet of air at the tip of the rod at about 4-5" out.

With a regular head the air fans out 5-6 inches, I set mine so the air blast is about a
    inch around the electrode tip, feeling it with my finger.

Eureka!, man, running at tap 6 (of 7 taps) and 80% fine current control (180 ampish),
    not lugging the machine at all, it gouges beautifully.

No, you dont need 600 amps and a diesel screw compressor to arc gouge, the torches
    are just designed for that.
    This possibly - is the best testimonial, of Self-Learned/Process-Development - on the WW . . .

Opus

ps -

Poleframer

Don't get a big head . . .
    I toothed on 3/8" and 1/2" Arc-Air rod's - with unlimited amps.
    and air . . .

3/16" is the bare minimum to do anything effective - and has to be juiced with at least
    with 200/250 amps . . .

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 06-08-2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: . . . more punc . . .

You ever think of buying a scarfing/gouging tip for your O/A rig?
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I have been running a K2000 arcair torch and a 1.5 hp air compressor off of my TB302 for a couple years now. Depending on what I am doing 200-300 amps with 5/32 and 1/4 " carbons. No problems. I could run it that way all day but usually I only need to air arc for a few hrs at a time and it works fine for me. If I needed to do it day in and day out I would buy a gas compressor but so far I have not had the need for more than what I have.

Check out Chamfer Arc Rods. Low Amp, Cut, Gouge, Pierce ferrous and nonferrous with no air needed.

interesting i'm running from a tb325 and a 13hp compressor. its okay... looks like i'll be messing with the torch a bit the next time i get it out.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Interesting mod, poleframer. I've been using chamfer rod and gouging and flushing tips, but I picked up an ArcAir K3 for $100 to see if I can use it with a Ranger 9 and a 2hp 230V garage compressor. Gotta look at it and see about using your copper tube deal. Thanks for the tip!!

Get a big old tank and build up a reserve and a pressure regulator in line.

if you take the brass piece off the arc air and solder in the big air holes you can then drill much smaller holes to increase the force of the air coming out and the amount of volume needed, this eliminates the need for any tubing to get in the way when your gouging....and that piece can be made back to original by just melting the solder out, if the solder melts from gouging for longer periods, you can braze the holes closed and then drill smaller ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Poleframer View Post
    Man, I prefer dealing with welding equipment than puter stuff, my old camera wont work with win10, and I aint buying another.
    I used to post pics, but prefer typing. I know, pics or it didnt happen, but if what I say makes sense to anyone, maybe it was worth the post...
    Let alone becoming a youtuber with half my day, tho I appreciate those that provide that, as they can.
    Put a copy of Linux beside WinBloze 10 and fire up the camera.,no problem