Bobcat 225nt onan p216 no spark
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bobcat 225nt onan p216 no spark

First time posting.. my bobcat shutdown in a middle of a rod 3 days ago. I tried to restart but nothing pulled plug held to side of block and no spark. Searched web for this issue ran test for Coil primary and secondary resistance checked out good ( coil was just replaced a month ago ) ran test for module behind flywheel it checked out good also. So I got 2 new plugs tried to start and I noticed after spinning the motor over a couple times smoke coming from behind flywheel cover.. pull the cover and found a wire had been rubbed by flywheel teeth and arced to flywheel. Fixed wire put all back together still no spark!!!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Bobcat 225nt onan p216 no spark

Are you getting 12 volts of battery power to the coil?

Here is a link to a no spark issue on a very similar engine P218G. http://www.mytractorforum.com/11938713-post2.html

Here is a more extensive test procedure.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attach...1&d=1527019270
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

2.8-3.2 volts when cranking.. so is it the stat or that’s bad?

Idk atm. Others should come along to help. My tractor forum has a lot of knowledgeable members that should be able to help you pinpoint the problem if you can not get to the cause here.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Ok... thank you for replying N2 this things got me puzzled on why it lost spark the way it did. The wire that the flywheel chewed up was for the voltage regulator if that helps anyone

Does it have spark when starter is turning it over?

Oil level high enough? Don't those motors have a low oil pressure shutdown sensor?
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 06-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

No spark when starter is turning it over yes it does have low oil pressure shutdown i do have 12 volts at low op shutdown I also tried jumping around low op sensor but not 100 percent sure on how to test low op sensor I just changed oil and filter about week before it shutdown. Thanks for the replies

There should be a way to run a hot wire directly to the coil to see if you can get it to start. If it starts then it may be something in the 12 volt circuit that supplies the ignition coil. Safety switch or sensor etc.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

If I hook a jumper wire around the O.P shut off sensor I got 12 volts at top of coil when switch is on run/idle and run 10.25 volts when cranking..

Without the jumper on O.P sensor I have 0 volts at coil when switch is on run/idle or run but 10.25 volts when cranking...

Still no spark either way

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Johnson View Post
    2.8-3.2 volts when cranking.. so is it the stat or that’s bad?
    Instructions state to turn flywheel "slowly by hand".
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I did Duane to check the module behind the flywheel and I got a reading of 12 volt for 1/2 the revolution and 1.5 volt for remainder of revolution. Which I think this is correct the post I made stating I wasn’t getting 12 volts at coil was incorrect do to I was trying to hold meter and crank all by myself I got some alligator clips and fitted on my meter to get a better test result

When I get home from work I’m going to re run the module and coil test and I’ll repost the results

I had that issue with my 225nt a while back. Coil tested bad. Replaced and no more issues.

What happen one time is there were some screws sitting on top of machine and one fell and landed on top of coil and ground it out. Then engine died and would not start, after some searching found the screw removed it and up and running.

Did this ever get resolved?
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

No n2 I’ve been super busy at work!! I’ve got my buddies Hobart champion elite trying to finish the job my bobcat went down on me on I’ll run test and respond ASAP

There's a little black thingy attached to the crankshaft under the flywheel with a magnet in it that triggers the ignition module. If it gets weak you wont get spark.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Thanks mike I think that black box is the ignition module. From my interpretation of what I’ve read the way to test that box is connect a jumper wire from the positive post of the battery directly to positive post of your coil. Then connect a meter black lead to engine ground red lead to negative side of coil. Roll the motor slowly by hand or 5/8” socket. Your meter should read battery voltage for half the revolution (12volts) then 1.5 volts for second half of revolution. Over and over again slowly looking for any changes or misses in volts.

I got to run the module test and the actual readings I got was 12.44 VDC for 1/2 of the revolution and .88-1 VDC for rest of revolution. From my understanding this should tell me that the module on the bottom of the crank is working properly. If anyone sees I done something wrong or didn’t test properly please reply. I’ll run test on coil tomorrow evening when I get home.

I thought it is suppose to be in a range between 1.0 to 1.5 volts ?
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

There is not a whole lot to it. Either the coil, spark plugs / wires, electronic module magnetic pick up, bad or loose wire connections or wiring, bad safety sensor or ignition switch or low battery voltage.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I think your right n2 about 1.0-1.5 vdc I’m getting just a touch off from that but idk if it’s enough I’ll test with another meter before I buy a module cause I’m defiantly getting the 12 vdc which should be enough to get the spark.. idk I just don’t want to waste money where it’s not needed. I also agree it’s a simple system that’s why I’m so pissed I can’t figure out why I’m not getting spark.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Johnson View Post
    I think your right n2 about 1.0-1.5 vdc I’m getting just a touch off from that but idk if it’s enough I’ll test with another meter before I buy a module cause I’m defiantly getting the 12 vdc which should be enough to get the spark.. idk I just don’t want to waste money where it’s not needed. I also agree it’s a simple system that’s why I’m so pissed I can’t figure out why I’m not getting spark.. lol.
    Those do go out on occasion, especially when the engine has been run hot. This can happen from oil or dirty air cooling fins or blocked air passedges that supply fresh air to the engine. If you suspect the module to be bad replace it and all necessary parts that accompany it. Clean the engine real good and fix any oil leaks if they exist. If you have to tear into the engine to get to the module you might as well go the extra mile and make sure the engine will stay cool and healthy.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Because of the dusty condition I work in i constantly clean my fins and use proper oil for outside temp conditions but yes I agree since it’s down I need to fix a few minor things and clean before firing it back up if I can get spark again. I’d really like to switch to a Kohler eventually but now is not the time