Soil/Sand/Compost screen - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Soil/Sand/Compost screen

Not sure how to post a video, but it works. About as well as I expected. With dry material it does a reasonable job and some agitation from the bucket helps keep things clear. No doubt a motor would help significantly. I’ll probably try to mess with that at some point.

Now it seems I can’t even do pictures. I’ll try again later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it works great with the little loader feeding it yes, dry material is a big plus!!!

Working great!! If you want you can rescreen the oversize and get a little more product out of it. The hardest part about feeding a grizzly with a bucket is making it dump slow and steady. Try 1/2 buckets.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I’ll give the 1/2 bucket thing a try. At first I was dumping fast and while the screen didn’t load up I was getting quite a bit of good material off the back. I tried lowering the angle and it took a lot more jostling to clear so I went back to the original angle and slowed down. I think that’s probably the best way to go, although dumping quickly and screening twice might be just as efficient. I think the angle is about 35 or 40 degrees - I was shooting for a 3, 4, 5 triangle based on some hand shoveling tests with the screen.

Now to start thinking about a vibrator...

Ive seen pneumatic vibrators for a similar setup used for feeders. I dont remember much about them tho.

I think the name for your formed angle is L angle. Thats what I think its called anyways.

An old washer or drier motor with a pulley attached and some 3/8" bolts bolted to the pulley will work. Start out with only one bolt and check the motor amps and work up to just short of full load amps. Even the commercial vibrators with adjustable stroke can be overloaded with too much stroke. You'd need a sheetmetal cover over the motor in order to mount it under the deck. If you could mount springs under the lower end then the entire deck will get an even stroke otherwise the lower end will be dead. Maybe lengthen the hinge straps a little too.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker

Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Here is a pic of the screen I am going to copy.. it is a bit more complex than your grizzly style screen but still fairly simple

The main drum is made from an old 1000 gallon fuel tank 12'x 4' then just some 2" rod for the main shaft with pillow blocks and a gearbox reduction driven by a HF 5 horse motor. I started making a smaller version of this years ago using an old butane tank I think it was about 16 inch OD x 4-5 feet long.

The guys that made this one were using it to screen topsoil for a bark yard and had no problem making a couple hundred yards in a week.

Do you know what angle they run it at? In the picture it looks dead flat. Pretty slick though.

If I remember right it was about 3-5 inches of slant in the 12 feet but it wouldn't take much in the way of experimentation to see what works best depending on what you're feeding it. I do remember they would up size the screen in the winter when stuff got wet. on my screen I plan on a brush to keep things going, like this one.

Alrighty... found some of the pics I took when starting my 'garden trommel' project!!!

Here is the butane tank I had laying around, I think it was 14-16 inches OD and 5-6 feet in length:

And here is the frame, just more scrap I had laying around... the center shaft is 2"(I think) and has some short pieces of 1 inch drill rod fixed to the ends for the pillow blocks:

here's the tank getting mounted up:

had this reduction drive laying around from something... can't remember what it was off of...:

that's about as far as I got with it... was going to put a small electric motor on it( 1/2 horse) or so... still need to round up some screen and do the cutouts on the tank... then the hard part... making a conveyor to feed it, although a shovel would work for starters If I ever get any play time when the weather is decent will have to put some hours into finishing his up

Ok, so got my curiosity up just posting about this couldn't remember the exact size of the drum??? so I rummaged around in the back behind a few dozers and found my trommel!!! it's a little rustier than when I last saw it... probably should have painted it.. oh well.... it is 16" OD and 77 inches long my plan was to only have 2 inch slope and it was going to spin about half the speed of theirs because of the smaller diameter.

Name:  sifter.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  209.0 KBon a smaller scale i modified an old mortar mixer for wheelbarrow sized loads to sift my compost

Hmmmm, interesting redesign I am guessing you put a bucket in front of it to catch the rocks and oversize... I wonder if you could go a foot or two longer on the screen to get more production out of it if the bearings would take it??? I actually have a few old cement mixers laying around here... might be a quick test project to add to my list of things I can't seem to get to

it has no bearings, metal on metal with lots of grease, i bought it used and its at least 40 years old, main drum bearing ok, drive bearing in bad shape, this was a mortar mixer so it used to have a wet slurry of sand and cement in it, so designed for heavy use.
    it has a wooden ring on the front to keep things from falling out and to stiffen the mesh, I just reach in and catch rocks with a shovel, i find having 3 or 4 fist size rocks in the drum help break down harder lumps

Simple and efficient setup, Eloewen!! From what you describe it's a nonstop operation until the pile gets full. Can you park a contractors wheelbarrow under it and pickup any spillover on the ground. Maybe a piece of 4" pipe in it to roll over any oversize and break it up.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker

Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

mine is to low and the frame is in the way for a wheelbarrow under it, but it could probably be modified to allow that, or raise it and add a chute to direct it into a wheelbarrow
    a 4" pipe could work but I found leaving 3 or 4 large fist sized rocks in the drum did the job of breaking up lumps