question re Procon pump gph and psi for tig water cooler
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question re Procon pump gph and psi for tig water cooler

I've been reading the threads on here about folks building their tig water coolers and as a result have been acquiring what I will need to make one for myself. I bought a brand new pump from Procon based upon a recommendation from this site, and ordered one that pumped 25 gallons/hour @ 45psi. Unfortunately when it got here it had a shraight extended shaft instead of the flush mount slotted one, and a three bolt mount rather than the flush to the motor clamp mount system. I contacted Procon and they will exchange it since I just got it and never touched it other than taking it out of the box, but told me to call their tech center in Nashville to be sure I ordered the right pump in exchange. What Nashville told me I should get is model 101B100F11BC060 which is what Lincoln buys from them and uses in their water coolers. The 100 after the B and 060 after the C means this model pumps 100 gallons an hour @ 055 psi. They said Miller orders a pump with the same throughput but with a different case since they have their own mounting system. I don't want to build a cooler and then have the hoses burst because I've got too much pressure, so does anyone have a reaction to this? Seems kind of silly for me to ask because if Lincoln and Miller both use these flow rates you would think they have to work, but I want to get the right pump this time.
    Last edited by jerje; 06-11-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Re: question re Procon pump gph and psi for tig water cooler

So the procon pump tech center tried to sell you a pump with the same specs as Lincoln and Miller...and you decided to check with random internet guys instead?

That makes my chuckle
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

blush
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684

You don't need 100gph.
    I run 230 amps natural AC and my open loop cooler when it's over 100°F out side and it flows more like 15 gph and the discharge water is barely warm.
    I hook my wp18 up to utility water which runs 95 to 100psi, and I use a needle valve on the outlet to control flow to save water.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

I withdraw the question I've clicked around some more and there are lots of threads about building coolers on several forums including this one and 2 gallons per minute @ 50 psi and thereabouts has been touted many times. 100 gph just seemed like a lot to me but I guess that is what it is. I shipped the wrong pump back to Procon for the correct one today.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684

100 GPH sounds way high. My Coolmate 3 has an IEC cooling capacity rating of about 15 GPH with a maximum of 60 GPH. That's not to say what the actual flow rate is, just a cooling rating.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

1 to 1.5 quarts per minute. Remember the flow will get choked off at the torch anyway, and that teenie hole can only flow so much. 1.5 gallons per minute is much.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

shovelon I ordered the model recommended on this site, which pumped 25 gph, because it was consistent with what you said was needed in one of your posts. Why would both Lincoln and Miller be putting pumps with a throughput of 100 gph @ 45 to 55 psi if all that is needed is 15-22.5 gph? 1-1.5 quarts per minute = 15-22.5 gph, right?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    shovelon I ordered the model recommended on this site, which pumped 25 gph, because it was consistent with what you said was needed in one of your posts. Why would both Lincoln and Miller be putting pumps with a throughput of 100 gph @ 45 to 55 psi if all that is needed is 15-22.5 gph? 1-1.5 quarts per minute = 15-22.5 gph, right?
    Because the flow pressure can be adjusted. I believe they were trying to cover all sizes and flows of watercooled torches. For example my Speedway 320 torch has standard water lines of less than 1/8th". My Speedway 450 has much bigger water lines and flows more coolant under the same pressure. That is what I think. I have had nothing but trouble with Miller coolers. On hot days they have a tendency to throw the temp switch and stop flowing coolant and fry a power cable. I had to install CK fuselinks upstream of the power cables to save the power cable. I also learned to adjust the flow for the least pressure to get 1 to 1.5 quarts per min by backing out the screw until it just dribbles, then work it in to get the right flow.

I have a multitude of procon pumps and some that I have the screw nearly falling out of the body. Basically full bypass.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

What would you suggest I do when I get this pump? I've got the 1/3hp Marathon electric motor, plan to buy a 3 or 5 gal air tank to use as a reservoir, a little fan for the radiator, and use a heater core out of a '60s car (of which I have several), and use clear tubing I suppose as lines between everything, and the proper water line connections of course.

How do I adjust the flow? Or will the 100gph work, and everything live, even if it is way beyond what is really needed. I do not know the diameter of the water lines in the torch because I haven't acquired the water cooled torch yet.

I am not a commercial welder and will not be camping on this thing every day.

I appreciate your help here.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684

Ideally, your going to want to use a plastic or stainless steel tank for the reservoir.

I would also go ahead and spring for a new radiator as well to make sure the system doesn’t end up with contaminates in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    What would you suggest I do when I get this pump? I've got the 1/3hp Marathon electric motor, plan to buy a 3 or 5 gal air tank to use as a reservoir, a little fan for the radiator, and use a heater core out of a '60s car (of which I have several), and use clear tubing I suppose as lines between everything, and the proper water line connections of course.

How do I adjust the flow? Or will the 100gph work, and everything live, even if it is way beyond what is really needed. I do not know the diameter of the water lines in the torch because I haven't acquired the water cooled torch yet.

I am not a commercial welder and will not be camping on this thing every day.

I appreciate your help here.
    I would bet it works fine out of the box. But you want to adust it. Only word of caution is to prime the pump before powering up as to not let it run dry. That is supremely important to me. As a matter of fact a few months ago an employee blew up a power cable and somehow drained the pump. This pump has been working for some 20 years trouble free but is showing some wear. Anyhow he powered up and went to lunch, when I came out I heard a wierd noise and immediately powered down. Powered back up to feel the torch hose had no pressure. I primed and it sucked coolant from the sump again. Geez!

Anyway there is a little acorn nut cap right next to the big strainer acorn nut. Remove the nut and you will see the screw that tensions the bypass spring. Some screws are sealed and show through the nut for adjustment. Roll it out until the spring gets loose then tighten against the spring for some flow. Hook up some hoses to a fillet water pail, remove the strainer and fill the pump with water/lube, close the strainer, and power up. This will make sure the system flows. If not tighten the screw against the bypass spring. If all is well connect up your torch. With the intake drawing in water, fill a jug for a minute, then power down and measure the fill. Adjust screw to suit. Then build your system.

Thank you sir.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684

guess you can make a poor mans version with a 5 gallon homer bucket, a transmission cooler, and some old computer fans... just depends on the duration of your welding sessions.

I have an old Bernard cooler with a procon pump. I have a CK18 torch for my tig welder and Prince XL gun on a Cobramatic wire feeder. The Bernard cooler takes care of both torches.

I bought a couple flow meters designed for monitoring spray nozzles in ag herbicide spray booms. These are calibrated for 1 quart per minute of water flow. The pressure from the pump goes to a T. At the T, I installed a ball valve in line with the TIG torch. I use this valve as a throttling adjustment. I have the pressure output of the pump set at 50 psi and use the throttling valve to equalize the flow between the two torches. The flow meters are on the return side of the torches just before the coolant returns to the sump. I also wired a relay to start the cooler whenever either welder is running, so I don't have to remember to start the cooler by itself. I only use one welder at a time, but sometimes switch processes several times on a job.

I weld a lot of 1/4" aluminum and the TIG process will put more heat into the cooler. Even after welding for a solid hour, the sump water temp has never gotten above 95 degrees. Both torches remain cool in operation.

"

I know some of you are finding these procon pumps for a song, but all the ones I’ve seen so far are a little on the pricey side for my bank account.

There are several submersible fountain pumps out on the market however, would there be any problem using these in a DIY recirculating cooler? They list specs in GPH not PSI however, how would you purchase the appropriate size based on GPH alone? I’ve seen listed that around 2 quarts per minute is recommended, so if I can get that much flow through the return of the torch, I shouldn’t need to worry about the PSI number correct?
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    I know some of you are finding these procon pumps for a song, but all the ones I’ve seen so far are a little on the pricey side for my bank account.

There are several submersible fountain pumps out on the market however, would there be any problem using these in a DIY recirculating cooler? They list specs in GPH not PSI however, how would you purchase the appropriate size based on GPH alone? I’ve seen listed that around 2 quarts per minute is recommended, so if I can get that much flow through the return of the torch, I shouldn’t need to worry about the PSI number correct?
    Right. 1 to 1.5 quarts per minute is/was the industry standard for the 20 series water cooled torches. Any more than that puts undo stress on the hoses.

The bigger torches may recommend 2 quarts per minute. My Speedway450 for instance has much bigger ports and hoses and pressure drops, and flow increases.
    Last edited by shovelon; 06-26-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Right. 1 to 1.5 quarts per minute is/was the industry standard for the 20 series water cooled torches. Any more than that puts undo stress on the hoses.

The bigger torches may recommend 2 quarts per minute. My Speedway450 for instance has much bigger ports and hoses and pressure drops, and flow increases.
    Thanks Shovelon,

Think I’m going to build one with a Desktop PC Radiator, homebuilt tank, and one of those submersible fountain pumps. I’ll just buy one 100% oversized and should be able to adjust it to where it’s hardly breaking a sweat.

Just need to figure out how the lines on the different water cooled torches work. My machine uses a gas thru Dinse connection, not sure if that’s going to complicate matters yet or not.

Do you guys utilize quick disconnects or valves on your water hoses? Was thinking that when the Tig Torch is not in use, I could probably just leave it connected to the cooler, but if I should need to disconnect it, don’t want the tank and hoses emptying all over the floor.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Thanks Shovelon,

Just need to figure out how the lines on the different water cooled torches work. My machine uses a gas thru Dinse connection, not sure if that’s going to complicate matters yet or not.
    Here is the Dinse connector you need. $40 is a bargain actually. http://www.usaweld.com/Lincoln-TIG-T...1622-4-htp.htm

Just leave the system hooked up. Where can the water go? Mine stays in the system. You are going to leave the lines submerged I reckon.

Since you are in the experimental phase with your system, your powercable could be at risk, and those are pricey and a PIA to change. I have CK Fuseblocks installed on my dinse connectors. They fit right between the dinse connector and torch end. I have been able to fit them in the standard clamshell covers. Or CK may sell you the extended clamshell. I just a dinse connector already configured with the fuse block and extended dinse connector. http://weldfabulous.com/content/CK/C...semblyInfo.pdf

Thanks again shovelon, I appreciate your advice.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Since you are in the experimental phase with your system, your powercable could be at risk, and those are pricey and a PIA to change. I have CK Fuseblocks installed on my dinse connectors. They fit right between the dinse connector and torch end. I have been able to fit them in the standard clamshell covers. Or CK may sell you the extended clamshell. I just a dinse connector already configured with the fuse block and extended dinse connector. http://weldfabulous.com/content/CK/C...semblyInfo.pdf
    I could have sworn that I had called CK awhile back asking about those fuse blocks and they told me that they quit making them?? They sound like a great idea..
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    I could have sworn that I had called CK awhile back asking about those fuse blocks and they told me that they quit making them?? They sound like a great idea..
    Well nuts. I just got a Dynasty back on line and could use another. I keep a spare in my desk and may have to install it. I like to keep the spare ready to swap if needed. I will have to call my LWS tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    My LWS just got off the phone with CK and said same thing, discontinued. Bummer. The still offer the copper strip fuses though.

Darn! Good thing for you that they still offer the replacement fuses, too bad they discontinued such a handy item.. I did a little hunting around and it doesn't look like any other company is currently making them.
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3