cast or forged steel to mild questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

cast or forged steel to mild questions

I have a large discharge spout to fix. its the anvil in a casing hammer that I need to add a mild steel extension to. I have no idea of the metal composition but the edges will roll over when its hammered long enough. also when I welded chains to it welds break off. I have done a build up on the inside of it and to rebuild the spout for that I preheated to 450 and just kept it hot. companys out of business so I can't call. what Im thinking of doing is pre heating to 450 I have that stick, welding it on with 7018 then cooling slowly. we have been jury-rigging it for a while and I want to fix it right. the one thing I was wondering about would I need to post heat it to relieve any stresses. its the upper seam in the photos the lower one is mild on mild and hasn't cracked for years
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: cast or forged steel to mild questions

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    I have a large discharge spout to fix. its the anvil in a casing hammer that I need to add a mild steel extension to. I have no idea of the metal composition but the edges will roll over when its hammered long enough. also when I welded chains to it welds break off. I have done a build up on the inside of it and to rebuild the spout for that I preheated to 450 and just kept it hot. companys out of business so I can't call. what Im thinking of doing is pre heating to 450 I have that stick, welding it on with 7018 then cooling slowly. we have been jury-rigging it for a while and I want to fix it right. the one thing I was wondering about would I need to post heat it to relieve any stresses. its the upper seam in the photos the lower one is mild on mild and hasn't cracked for years
    cast steel often is high carbon, ductile cast iron is also often is mistaken for cast steel.
    nickel rod made for welding cast iron is usually recommended. if weld breaks at the HAZ zone or heat affected zone next to weld it usually cause of wrong rod used, not following low hydrogen procedure, not using preheat and post heat

I machined a chunk of schedule 80 10" pipe out to were it would fit over the drive section with a rough press fit heated the section up to 500 degrees and put it on of course it went crooked about halfway on and started transferring heat to the female piece before it was in place. grabbed a drive plate and started whaling on it with a 16 lbs fiberglass handle sledge, broke the epoxy holding the head on, head went flying across the shop by then we had been transferring heat for 5 minutes so time to reevaluate. fished out my press from behind the shop reset the table and got it ready to press. tied a rope to the control lever and hid behind a tractor started tightening it up finally saw it straightening out then with a pop it was in place. I haven't used it enough that I trust it. but a press sure saves the day when you need one. I preheated everything and welded it up I will see how long it lasts.

pictures never seem to go in the right order the first one is preheating to weld
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I like that press.

why cant you just make a whole new piece from malleable iron pipe?

I have repaired some of those also I think they get really work hardened from all the hammering I had the last one sandblasted to get it clean enough to weld on got it all cleaned up and welded it with 11018 still using it as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by hddnis View Post
    I like that press.
    That is a cool press. Now make yourself a rake ! My anklez are twitching just looking at those rocks !

I dont think mallable iron would take the beating its getting hit with a several hundred pound hammer 20 hits a minute. and yes it work hardens, I priced out a piece of 4140, which is what the machine shop said I should use, to build a new one piece head about 2800 and by the time the machining and heat treat upwards of 5 grand if this doesn't work that is what I will do.
    the work pad is horrible working on. I do all my loading with a skid steer so even if I put road base on it the skid steer just pops the boulders loose and brings them to the surface. Im looking to get a forklift for loading then I can fix the yard, but I put down 1100 yards of pit run, and need about 600 of topper to clean up the yard and just haven't got it done.
    The press is handy only used it 4 times since I built it so I still dont trust it. it has 4' legs on it so I can store it behind the shop until I need it. grab it with the skid steer and put it in place. 1.3 gallon per minute pump on it with a 7.5" bore very slow until the pressure starts building then stuff seems to happen too fast wish I would have got a 2 speed .5 gallon high pressure, 3 gallon low pressure pump for it. I want to put a wireless remote and a quick adjustable relief gauge on it . just add that to my list of gettoits.