Is this a class b truck, and is the license worth it? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is this a class b truck, and is the license worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    N2 do u know how to float gears?
    Yes like you I use to race dirt bikes so it comes natural to me but not every one has that experience.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

It's should make almost no noise when get good and u can feel the gears in there really good once u get good( it's cool). That will take some time tho. I only use the clutch one time to take off. I don't u it to stop either. I pull it out in 1st or 2nd about 200 rpm above idle. U got come to a stop slowly when doing this tho. 4th to 5th is the most easy. When up shifting u gota let of then take it out of gear in rythem right after u let of darn near same time, going from 4th to 5th it usually not much difference from going to 2-3,3-4. I pull out from first fast tho but can't quick shift my 2nd like I could my dump truck. So I pull it out quick especially going up with then light pressure going into gear and when the rpm drops enough it will open up. I shift my Toyota pickup at 3000 or less so it doesn't take that much time to drop, maybe a secound. If your reving higher u will need to wait longer. And a down shift Is little more tricky. But easy if u can remember the mph to shift at. I learned with no mph and only rpm gauge. But I go off mph on when to shift and whatch rpm gauge when reving. U don't wanna come up short. To short it won't do anything but just under and it will grind. U wanna rev 100-200 rpm over and let it drop down while pressuring the desired gear just like a up shift. This is the most simple way to put it and how it's done. If your going down the road in 4th gear at 32 mph and 1900 rpm and u bump the stick in neutral, then that means you would want to rev the engine to 2000-2100 rpm and pressure fourth gear when the rpm is at 2000 rpm, not before or it will be a grinding mess lol.thats how u learn your down shift if by looking and the mph and rpm coordinate at. U can actually put it in gear as the rpm is going up to but harder to do but comes in handy when going up a steep hill having to downshift. You don't wanna Over rev going up hill and trying to down shift or it will get u in trouble. And u will lose lots of speed. So a up hill rev down shifting is the tuffy.

I usually don't even use my brakes much and keep it in gear all the time. Same with traffic, never use my brakes or come to a stop. Leave a gap pulling it in and out. I've got super good eye and distance feel for cars and can pull it right up on them with in couple feet with out having to use brakes then they will take off again after being stoped for 8 secounds or just secound. They will stop 30 times to my 1 or 2 in a 6 miles distance and I just float the gear the whole time and whatch never worry about changing lanes. And if your good at it cars will see and not get in front of you
    Look pretty bad n2?

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Yes like you I use to race dirt bikes so it comes natural to me but not every one has that experience.
    U can't float a gear in a dirt bike like a car. Every gear is stacked on top each other. No neutral in between each one to rev so not sure what that comparison comes from. It's super easy to up shift a bike. Nothing like a car. So I'd say this post makes u look bad and lends me to believe u do not no how to float gears in a car or truck

Btw I'm Toyota has 285 k on it and I've floated the guys since I got it at 236 or 239 I think 236 or less tho. And it's finally getting difficult to get out of third, goes in just fine but getting hard to getting out. I'll rebuild it or stick my other one in there and float it.

Btw u don't even need the clutch if u don't need to come to a full stop. It will go in at about 1mph. U wanna come up on it slow tho or u can miss it or bang it in gear. So when I come up on a street light and I'm coming in hot I'll brake and bring it down to 3 mph or so 50' from the light and start pressuring into 1st and whatch the mph gauge come down slowly and put it in first rolling 1 mph in gear up to the stop light hoping it will go green so I don't have to come to complete stop and re use clutch to take off. This is the way most good truckers drive and u will school people off the line and be ready. I usually don't down shift to first every time but somtimes I do and that's how I do it if don't down shift 1st.If ur going down hill u can do it to if in traffic. If u miss it u will have to do a little rev or bigger depending on hill. That's were the diesel is easier becuase it operates at a low rpm and has very good throttle response ! U can do max rpm down shifts in a diesel. Reving a gas engine to 5k pry not good in it tho so I got to 3500 max on down shift. Pry get a little worse gas mileage tho since the rpm drops down while shifting but idk. I get 27-30 mpg
    Last edited by motolife313; 06-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.

When you take the driving test for class A

You will fail immediately if you start floating years like a hot shot.

The inspector will want to see you double clutch every gear.

At least that’s how it was when I took the test 100 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I seen a YouTube where instructor was telling the student in school to double clutch. Another reason I don't want to go to a school. the main reason I use don't use clutch is because bad knees. It will pop a lot when pushing the clutch even just to start it or need to use it when taking off. I'd do the double clutch when taking the test then

I wanna get a cummins soon and put a exuast brake on it. I wanna a 12 valve and think they only have 30 pound closed pressure on the ex valve and it needs 60 psi springs to run a brake

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    When you take the driving test for class A

You will fail immediately if you start floating years like a hot shot.

The inspector will want to see you double clutch every gear.

At least that’s how it was when I took the test 100 years ago.

That is still their policy. One of my friends just got his CDL, he drove truck for 20 years on a farm exemption and is a good safe driver but got nailed with 5 demerit points on his test for floating one downshift. His inspector was a woman who drove school busses and never drove a stick in her life.
    Myself I never had to take the driving test with the DOT, I was grandfathered in from the days of the old combination license, had to take the written for hazmat and doubles when the CDL came out.
    In 1982 I drove tankers for Conoco and company policy was NO FLOATING and the supervisor could tell by your tachograph cards if you did. that guy was sharp as a hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Myself I never had to take the driving test with the DOT, I was grandfathered.
    Same here.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

U can't float a gear in a dirt bike like a car. Every gear is stacked on top each other. No neutral in between each one to rev so not sure what that comparison comes from. It's super easy to up shift a bike. Nothing like a car. So I'd say this post makes u look bad and lends me to believe u do not no how to float gears in a car or truck
    To float a gear. Shifting with out a clutch. You are right I look bad. How many times have you climbed or decended a 80k load in a big truck up the sierras or down the Sierras from reno to sacramento or Redding to Oregon or any steep grade for that matter. Tried it in the snow???

Only time I ever used the clutch was from a dead stop to get rolling or when coming to a stop. No need for the clutch much after that.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-17-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

I've hauled some heavy weight down hills. I much prefer to go up them. Trick is hit it slow from the top

I've hauled some heavy weight down hills. I much prefer to go up them. Trick is hit it slow from the top
    Try taking 200K over White pass to Chehalis.

yes and keep the engine spd high to generate max air for your air brakes. Use a low enough gear so the engine in combo with jake works to slow the truck instead of your foot/hand operated brakes. Worse thing that can happen is over heated brakes or not enough air in the tank to use them. In snow it gets a little more interesting. You have to listen to the jake at all times. No goofing around on the radio etc. If the jake goes quiet you can be in trouble really fast if you dont catch it quick enough. It means your sliding the drive wheels. Not good.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A