Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

I purchased a couple of these torch sets (which arent cheap if youre familiar with them) and wanted to know just how thorough the customer service is with the company handling them, Detroit Torch.

Now, the sets themselves are really well made, but for such an investment--even though they lack the handy boxes they once had as Henrobs and Dillons--, i was curious how accessible their warranty ("lifetime") and service dept. is, and it turns out with my experience, not very.

I've been unsuccessful at receiving a call back from leaving voice messages on their phone line and the warranty number on site is literally an unavailable number. 'Not exactly instilling brand confidence there; i get people are busy, but thats just sloppy.

I did manage to finally contact somebody on their Facebook page, but only after numerous messages over a span of days, and was... sort of... informed that "that page handles the warranty work". Again, less than inspired, and I dont think sending my gear to some dude on a Facebook page in the event that something goes bad seems very smart on the customer end.

I heard good things about this company and the owners, and theyre all american made (and great torches by the way), but my experience has been shaky at best. What do any of the other DHC2000/Henrob/Cobra users make of this? Surely i'm not the only one!

Feedback very welcome.
    Last edited by Jonathan Bradley; 06-16-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

Cobra torches are a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Cobra torches are a scam.
    Would you care to elaborate?

I've used my Cobra torch for awhile and purchased several tips, etc from Detroit Torch. Very happy with both but I've never had a service requirement so I can't vouch for their warranty. George Goehl and Kent White (both have YouTube videos) use them and Kent even lightened his up by removing the cast handle assembly since he uses his for welding/brazing but apparently not for cutting.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradley View Post
    Would you care to elaborate?
    No reason to. I bought one and unloaded the POS three weeks after.
    Ya see. Crap like that won't make you a welder you aint.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    No reason to. I bought one and unloaded the POS three weeks after.
    Ya see. Crap like that won't make you a welder you aint.
    Well, "OK" is probably the most appropriate answer to that. . .

Anybody else with company input and/or experience?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    I've used my Cobra torch for awhile and purchased several tips, etc from Detroit Torch. Very happy with both but I've never had a service requirement so I can't vouch for their warranty. George Goehl and Kent White (both have YouTube videos) use them and Kent even lightened his up by removing the cast handle assembly since he uses his for welding/brazing but apparently not for cutting.
    Jimbo, thanks for the feedback.

That's the thing, these torches are top-notch (i think the price point and practice required to use them turns some people off/brings haters), but the service people behind them just had me scratching my head when i looked into it. I'm just hoping my experience with them was an errant one.

Yeah, some aircraft guys who use this torch, from what I understand, prefer that aluminum casing off the handle to keep the weight down. However, I enjoy its cutting ability, so mine stays on.

I watched a YT artist making a sculpture out if rebar and he was welding and cutting using the Cobra with the cutting head. Small enough to maneuver within the artwork.
    It startled me when I got MY first good cut on sheetmetal. Narrow crisp cut. Does have a learning curve but I enjoy mine.
    I keep watching the TIG welding videos but at my age Oxy/fuel meets my hobby/DIY needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    I watched a YT artist making a sculpture out if rebar and he was welding and cutting using the Cobra with the cutting head. Small enough to maneuver within the artwork.
    It startled me when I got MY first good cut on sheetmetal. Narrow crisp cut. Does have a learning curve but I enjoy mine.
    I keep watching the TIG welding videos but at my age Oxy/fuel meets my hobby/DIY needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I enjoyed GTAW a lot in school, and I bet you would too (it was pretty choice for most aluminum), Jimbo, but I will say, unless its a funded situation, ponying up for the Argon mixes, 7+ lenses, various tungsten sets and torch heads expense is already sounding "old" as I type this. (Lol) This TN heat makes it tough to do much torch welding though!

Still welcoming any input on Detroit Torch's service dept./experiences., if only to save others some grief.

A buddy of mine just bought the DHC2000 the other day at the Carlisle. Show. He's in the process of starting to play around with it. If his experience turns,out well, ill be buying the,same kit. I saw the precision cuts that torch made, as well as the super nice welds he did (the show guy) with both sheet metal and aluminum. There was almost zero distortion of the metal when he was finished. It was really amazing at,the quality of the welds made buy the little torch. This would have saved my *** a few months back when I needed to weld a door frame in an area with no electric. Running my 600 lb generator out there sucked donkey balls, and I would have. Paid whatever to have had that kit, back then
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradley View Post
    Well, "OK" is probably the most appropriate answer to that. . .

Anybody else with company input and/or experience?
    OK, my experience is limited to one use about 20 years ago. A coworker of mine had one and never used it, so he brought it into work when we needed to cut some nuts off of a bad valve that drained the ponding water from a retention area around our fuel oil tanks at that employer. These were 3/4" or 1" bolts, but we were only trying to cut through the nuts, so the thickness should have been well within his Henrob's capabilities. It was slow going and everytime there was some blowback, it blew out the torch. Finally we plugged the torch tip and he only had one with his kit, so we got the normal cutting torch out of the shop and finished the job in no time. Never used it to weld or braze with. My personal opinion, is that if you're using it at the bench so that you're not out of position, as we were in the field (we cut a slit in the top of a couple of the nuts, then tried to cut a slit in the bottom of the nuts, requiring an out of position cut), it would likely work as well as any torch in that size (Not sure how Victor's are currrently sized, but back in those days, the "100" series was their small series, the "200" was the next one up, etc.), just for comparison, I believe the Henrob was equivalent to the Victor 100 series as far as capacity in cutting and welding. But, the one issue may be the comfort of the pistol grip configuration that the Henrob and its successors use. Personally, for me, once I used the Victor 100 series in the Oxy-fuel welding class I took after that experience with the Henrob, I found I prefer the pencil style grip of the Victor over the Henrob. The ONLY advantage of the Henrob, and its not necessarily an advantage as I never tried it using a traditional cutting torch, is that you can use it to cut aluminum. Essentially, it just heats the ally up to molten temperature and the excess oxygen blows the aluminum out of the way. You may be able to use a standard cutting torch to do the same thing, I have never tried it. IMHO, you would be far ahead if you went with a small Victor or equivalent from someone else vs. the Henrob equivalent.

I've been consistently trying to get solid info. On the warranty, with my own seller and 3 other places, including their own page on Facebook and have yet (over a month!) To get any solid correspondence back.

If anybody runs into anything, by knowing somebody that actually bought from or talked to a Detroit Torch rep., please let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by pprobus View Post
    It has advantages on using less gas (oxygen namely, but also Acetylene), especially cutting equal to and below 1", by sometimes over half and emits less turbulence, making certain metals easier to work with. Its pretty obvious.

I have pairs of j-28's 100fc's and journeymans of various models and the Henrob has definite advantages over all of them in certain things.

Im no spokesperson for DT, as if I were, i wouldnt be having such an issue with their warranty dept... (lol)
    Last edited by Jonathan Bradley; 07-24-2018 at 05:02 AM.

Ok, good news! I FINALLY got some movement in the water (check the time stamps...) with their warranty dept., and I think they're updating their info on site.

My sale rep. Talked to the the owner, Mark, and got some contact info. And sorted it out. Hopefully it happens soon. Im much more confident in their management now.

If you run into an issue and happen to read this and need contact info. Before it changes, PM me.

I have one, comes in handy for holding down blueprints on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by makoman1860 View Post
    Best use for the Cobra/Dillon/whatevertheyare callingthemthisweek POS’s I have ever heard of.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    Best use for the Cobra/Dillon/whatevertheyare callingthemthisweek POS’s I have ever heard of.
    Ha, well its either that or a tack hammer. I will say though that the tips on the torch are nicely made, and I do use them on other torch handles at times. Its not that they are anything special, they are just made the way they used to be in relation to the garbage sold by the mainstream torch companies today. Honestly for most of my torches I have got to manufacturing my own parts just due to the low quality of what you can buy.

Double post ("preview post" is evidently the same as "save post"...)
    Last edited by Jonathan Bradley; Yesterday at 12:38 AM.

It sounds like somebody couldn't set the flame right. 😅

Ha, well its either that or a tack hammer. I will say though that the tips on the torch are nicely made, and I do use them on other torch handles at times. Its not that they are anything special, they are just made the way they used to be in relation to the garbage sold by the mainstream torch companies today. Honestly for most of my torches I have got to manufacturing my own parts just due to the low quality of what you can buy.
    My J's, FC's and Journeymans all sit in a nice, custom drawer while my Henrobs do all the work, and they're all older, rebuilt models.

One "special" thing about these torches is the action within the mixing head. I'm not sure how you could argue after comparing the gas use and flame turbulence back to back with older torches.

It seems like a lot of dust gets kicked up with these kits (usually due to the entry fee) but for those checking this site for intel. on them, they really are pretty slick, guys.
    Last edited by Jonathan Bradley; Yesterday at 12:41 AM.