Old Compressor Deal Or Free Bomb - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Old Compressor Deal Or Free Bomb

If its going to make you lose sleep sell it then go buy a new one. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over a used air compressor.

If really worried, empty the tank, and as someone else mentioned, do a tap test with a hammer. You will def hear a different sound if you hit a weak, rusty area. Best way to look for weak areas. Unless you find an obvious spot use it. Otherwise, are we paranoid about our propane tanks, car wheels, oxy tanks, etc, any pressure vessel? I know compressor tanks hold more moisture, so a tap test is the fastest way to test for potential imminent failure.

Endoscopes cost 10 bucks on ebay and they plug into that vital life support device called a smart phone cause it's smarter than the person carrying it.

Pull the inspection bung, slap the snot out of the tank and vacuum out the dust. Scope it and see how it looks for a cost of $10-

Then you can read up and learn the difference between Hydrostatic testing and high pressure testing while you check around the culdesac for somebody with a pressure washer you can use to do a pressure test. When you do that, wrap a couple strips of newspaper around the tank so you can tell if it bulges.

This crap ain't rockes science boys.

If you want a 60 gallon vertical tank, just buy a new one and be done with it. They sell for $380 in Canada ( https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...nk/A-p8680340e ) so I'm sure you can find a better deal in the US. If not, the Canadian dollar is currently at .75 US so the difference in exchange should cover most of the shipping. I know free is nice, but this really isn't a lot of money if you're thinking this thing could turn into a time bomb for you or your family. At these prices, I don't know why you would waste time with a hydro test.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    todays steel is much stronger than steel of years ago.

depending on the make up of the steel when its made..

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I would be almost willing to bet that the exploding tanks we keep hearing about have all been run at pressures way above their certification specs. I keep my tanks set to the factory 125 psi and don't worry about them exploding (rupturing ... whatever). What devices are you people using that you need more than 125 psi?
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Factory (tank) PSI on my Quincy is 175
    I regulate the line pressure to 120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    thats right, depending on the ingredient list at the time the steel is melted and made at the factory, and now with technology and better metallurgy steel can be made stronger while being made thinner...example are pre stressed auto body panels....

60 gallon tanks are all over the place. I have one sitting in my shop now. One of my customers dropped it off. They can be had for $100 most of the time. I know the past of the one in my shop. Thats why I took it. A lot of the compressors do not last more than a few years so they are common. If you have more time than money it is ok. The one I have has been sitting there for 2 years because I have no time to mess with it. I have a brand new compressor that has sat for 2 year not hooked up for the same reason.

Sure they have better grades of steel today if your willing to pay for it but what do you think they're using on these cheap compressors. You used to need a forklift to move a 5 hp compressor, now a couple of guys can carry one around no problem.

CR

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    what do you think they're using on these cheap compressors.
    Exactly.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Hydrotest it your self, it's quite simple and not very expensive if you get creative. Use your pressure washer for the pressure source, if you have one, if not then borrow one from the neighbor. fill it with water, hook up the pressure washer and run it up to 1.5 times max pressure. If it stays together it passed. Or what I would do is do a corrosion thickness UT test on the bottom, but I have the gear to do that, and not many hobbyists do. Just my .02--Whatever you decide, keep us posted--Matt
    6 Miller Big Blue 600 Air Paks
    2 Miller 400D
    6 Lincoln LN-25's
    4 Miller Xtreme 12VS
    2 Miller Dimension 812
    4 Climax BW-3000Z bore welders
    Hypertherm 65 and 85
    Bug-O Track Bug
    Pair of Welpers

Why not just ship it off to NASA, those guys can certify anything, I have them do my watches so they're synced with Cape Canaveral time.

CR

Got any old tires?

Make yourself a blasting blanket. wrap it up and you R good to go.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Cut the thing in half with a plasma cutter, clean it up by blast or wire wheel, wrap it with a band of 10 ga and weld it back together.
    What's the problem ? " OOOOOO never weld a tank"... Someone( or something) did it the first time ? Can't you weld ?

what is your life and health worth, don't even chance it if you think it is week. not in the garage, not outside the garage. Get another compressor for a grand or less. A new compressor of good quality, not the best quality should last a home shop guy, what , 10 yrs easily. that's $100 bucks a year over 10 yrs. what's a face full of shrapnel or a severed leg worth?
    and don't pawn if off on some other poor guy that doesn't know better , cut the tank and discard it.
    only my advice, but when you post here, isn't that what your looking for.
    Last edited by kolot; 06-28-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

So didja make a smoker?

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

…. still orbiting...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

After 20+ years, I decided to pressure test my compressor. I filled it with water (actually, I put it in my swimming pool). I rigged up a hose & fittings to hook it to my grease gun, along with a pressure gauge with a usable range. Gave it a few pumps with the grease gun, released the pressure, drained and dried it, put it back into service.

I would definitely recommend testing it, either yourself or pay someone to do it. After that, install one of those automatic drains! I did this on my newer 80 gallon compressor. Every 45 minutes it vents for 15 seconds.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

That is not how hydrotesting works! The idea of filling the tank to pressure is that it's in a fixed capacity water tank, submerged and they check for water displacement (rise of water level) by the expansion of the tank under pressure. All you did was get your tank wet.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Pressure testing tanks with water is easy. I was never able to get the grease gun trick to work right, but the airless paint sprayer did a great job. I buy my tanks at auctions and pressure test them before placing into service. It's not hard. Do that at least if you're not going to buy new.
    Miller 330 A/BP w/ WP-18 torch / WP-26 torch
    Miller CP-200 Haas / Kamp'd / CP-300 in process
    Homemade tig cooler
    Miller 30A /S-52E feeders

At the body shop, our liability insurance required us to have our air tanks ultrasonically checked for wall thickness. Its fast, doesn't require disassembly, and wasn't too expensive I don't think. Might be some good peace of mind. Its pretty accurate too, take it from a guy who's late model got DQ'ed for too thin a cage. Our ball mic and the trac'ks ultrasonic were dead on!
    Last edited by jmmorriso; 07-19-2018 at 10:23 AM.

When I checked into ultrasonic checking it was more than I paid for the compressor by multiples!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Miller 330 A/BP w/ WP-18 torch / WP-26 torch
    Miller CP-200 Haas / Kamp'd / CP-300 in process
    Homemade tig cooler
    Miller 30A /S-52E feeders