Western Arctronics 190A
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Western Arctronics 190A

'Western Arctronics 190A' stick welder. 20% duty cycle @ 25 volts 190 amps. Presume AC since not specified. 240 volts/37 amps or can be wired for 120. Extremely heavy for its size.

Anybody ever heard of this?

It's a green cube on wheels, about 15" each dimension, with a plunger on top which I presume adjusts amps but it's not calibrated. The plunger depth lock was too stiff to move.

Would this serve for general use or was it designed for set-once production work - ? Cables with rod holder and clamp included. How much should I pay for it?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Re: Western Arctronics 190A

Wow. Over 40 views and nobody ever heard of this one? It must be a really obscure model.

I see some mentions of Western Arctronics spot welder consumables so at least the company exists, or did. Maybe the unit I found is the power supply for that, and then someone put stick-welder cables on it? The cables go to slight-taper rod/tube connectors, which I think are standard.

Anybody?

Well....It's simply more garbage. If it's quite heavy it will probably live a while. Not "obscure" > Just a China boxx with a different hat

No, not recent Chinese. This is old-school American industrial gear, likely from the two-digit zip code era. (pre 1956?).

It is extremely heavy, more than I can lift. Maybe its best application is sell the heavy stinger and ground cables/clamps on Ebay, and scrap the copper windings.

I don't like the un-calibrated top plunger for adjusting the core and thereby the amps. This must have been for a set-once industrial application.

Thanks for responding!

Some pics might help to ID it. Google searches show Western Arctronics as making spot welders for industrial applications, stationary machines where the parts to be spot welded were brought to the machine and a pedal actuated the welder tongs and the weld was made. Why not call one of the firms with the replacement parts and see what they tell you?

I inquired to info@spotweldingconsultants.com, 'a stocking distributor for Western Arctronics'. No reply yet.

Too much reliance today on 'emails' - pick up the phone- hard to ignore a phone call plus often one answer generates another question and gets you yet another answer and more insight. Emails get lost in the shuffle. I have yet to get an email reply from any vendor that gave me more information than a 5 minute phone call did.

I took a photo of this beast. It's small, about a 16 inch cube, but extremely heavy for a 190A stick welder. I couldn't lift it more than a few inches. Well over 100 lbs.

A thorough internet search turned up a modern spot welding firm in a different part of the country, likely a successor to this California firm, and a UCLA student 80 years ago with the same P. O. Box address. That's it, its definitely an orphan.

This includes stick welding heavy cables, stinger, ground clamp. Question: is this reasonable to buy for stick welding and carbon-arc heating? Value?

Name:  Western Arctronics Welder20180803_.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  124.8 KB

Mostly iron with some copper winding and a movable core transformer. Usable as a stick machine IF you can get the core to move, it's probably rusted or dusted in place.

Downside is the 20% duty cycle. That may be increasable by adding a fan inside the box.

Probably early 1950s vintage since NO ZIP CODE or Postal Zone is on the label.

You really expect some dullard only working at a computer screen till she can find a damn fool to get his finger stuck in a wedding ring and pay her student loans to answer your request for information? That machine predates her misconception and probably isn't even on the company computer. Hell the people who built it are either retired or dead. It's just like IndoChina Thug Works.
    It ain't on screen so it don't exist. Buy NEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    IF you can get the core to move, it's probably rusted or dusted in place.
    I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. That's why I posted, to learn what I don't know.

Still unresolved is if the specs on that plate are suitable for general purpose welding. I found a later brochure from that company and the spec for their later 5KVA spot welder simply says 7,000 amps momentarily - rather than the 55/25 welding volts, 190 amps [maximum] I see here. Is this listed voltage in the ballpark for stick welding?

Probably early 1950s vintage since NO ZIP CODE or Postal Zone is on the label.
    That was my conclusion too. I assume the insides of this design are so simple that age isn't much of an issue.

You really expect some dullard only working at a computer screen ... to answer your request for information?
    What I hoped to learn is if this is a dedicated power supply at fixed amperage for the spot welders this firm specialized in, or alternately, if the firm had ever made a general purpose stick welder. Like you said, there may not be anyone living whose knowledge goes that far back. The only Google hit on that P O Box was someone on a 1936 UCLA class roster!

Buy NEW.
    Nah. For repairing farm implements where I might fire it up a couple of times a year, this will be adequate - assuming it was designed for general purpose AC stick welding. I already use a similar Montgomery Wards / Century AC-230 stick welder from the 1960's (see my avatar) that works fine. I'm hoping this for $40 might make a more compact replacement for that one, because the AC-230 is a nuisance to store and is so rarely used.

Thanks for your comments!