Lincoln PT185
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Lincoln PT185

Lincoln PT185

I have had this welder for probably 12 years or more. I have not used it in a couple years. I went to tig up some pieces last night and I can not get it to start an arc unless I touch the tungsten to the work. Is there something that could be coroded and not making connection properly from sitting so long?
    It welds fine once you touch the tungten to start the arc but obviously it has a dirty tungsten then.
    I have a new bottle of argon I have not used before this, just wondering if it could be wrong or something? I have not encountered this before.

Any ideas what I meant try to resolve this?

Re: Lincoln PT185

Dumb question, but did you check the switch for tig mode vs stick?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Yes in tig, if it is in stick nothing functions, pedal gas etc, I went back and red he manual just to make sure I had not set something wrong, I am hoping it is simple like that but so far no luck

Sound like the high frequency isn't working, you need to check and adjust the spark gap inside the welder.

Clean and adjust the spark gap inside the welder. Look in the owners manual and it will give you the proper instructions. My PT 185 would have that happen after sitting for 9 months or so due to dusty conditions.

Thank you to all who replied. I took the points out today and cleaned them, it is a wonder they made any contact they had a pile o crap on both of them. I adjusted them by the manual setting and I must say it has not worked that nice in years! A regular maintenance item I will doing from now on.

Cool - always great when it's a cheap and easy solution
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.