SOLTER ICON 2070 DIGICELL craps on me for the SECOND time....
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

SOLTER ICON 2070 DIGICELL craps on me for the SECOND time....

Pretty much ranting because I don't think anyone is going to be familiar with the brand but anyway....

I own a inverter stick welder (made in Spain) SOLTER ICON 2070 DIGICEL, suitable for celulosic rods and TIG (lift arc) capable.

The damn thing quit working yesterday. Actually it never worked. I use it once in a while, not heavily since I don't weld for a living. It powers up and allows to adjust stuff, browse through the "menus", etc. But it does not strike an arc.

I checked with my meter and it reads only 11v OC in any of the three modes (stick, stick-cell, and TIG) if I am not mistaken, it should be reading 92V.

Welder specs

This is supposed to be top of the line for this brand (single phase) meant for industrial use, and this is the second time it craps on me. First one was still under warranty and they fixed it right. Some issue with the programming. I received the "updated" version of the firmware. It is not El Cheapo welder, it costs arround 1000€ MSRP, 850€ street.

Now the warranty is long gone and I don't think I have run more than 5kg of rods since the first repair. I had a simpler machine from this manufacturer that I sold to buy this one, because the first one didn't like the celulosic rods.

Called the manufacturer and they told me to bring it to a repair shop and ask for a repair quote AND a RENOVE PROGRAM quote. They would keep the machine and offer me a discount on a new unit. Getting the machine diagnosed is going to be arround $50 (which they would discount from the repair bill IF I agree to repair).

I don't know what to do. machine is basically brand now, but faulty. I have lost all faith in this machine, if not in the whole brand.

My options:

• [li]Agree to the RENOVE PLAN and use the discount to buy a simpler unit for cheap, no digital indicators, few buttons, etc. I probably will not be able to use cell rods, but less chances for it to crap on me (I guess....). New warranty, etc. [/li]
      [li]Agree to the RENOVE PLAN and jump to a TIG machine with at least solenoid and HF start.[/li]
      [li]Fix it (if reasonable) and keep using it[/li]
      [li]Fix it (if reasonable), sell it and buy a used machine of different brand (Oerlikon, Cebora, ESAB, etc) somthing industrial grade.[/li]

What's your take?

Mikel

PD; Yesterday I ended up using a borrowed transformer El Cheapo machine and it actually didn't do too bad with 6013 and 316 rods.

Re: SOLTER ICON 2070 DIGICELL craps on me for the SECOND time....

Well I dropped the machine at the dealer this morning. Let's see if they can figure it out.

They told me that despite the price tag, my machine (the brand itself) is "hobbie oriented". I don't fully agree, but after what has happened to me I may concurr... a little. Keep in mind they are FRONIUS dealers.

If I go the fix and sell to buy a different brand machine... They are suggesting the FRONIUS TRANSPOCKET 180, which is the biggest single phase inverter they have. They were talking about 800€ (sans TAX). Also I have been suggested Kemppi Miniarc Evo 180. A tad less power, does not specify if cell rod suitable and arround 700€ (with taxes).

So I am still trying to make up my mind!

Basicly 10 pounds of rod burned? i would be blowing a gasket. A welder that cost 100.00 per pound to burn rod? Differrent manufacture different supplier and let them know why With nasty emails to both corporate offices. and every review board one star until I felt better. But thats just me, i dont like being treated like a sucker.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

buy a lincoln welder..do they sell them over there? they should as a global company..

Thanks for the support guys! I called on monday and they hadn't checked it out by then. Today, a week and a half later, they haven't called me back. I am pretty much sure it is going to be a board. If I luck out maybe an easily identified component that can be replaced. I doubt it is a bad connection of some kind.

Thank God I don't weld for a living... Well, if I was welding for a living i wouldn't be using THAT welder and probably I would have a backup one just in case!

I talked to their sales department (FRONIUS, austrian welders) and they gave me some prices. The one that I like the most is the TRANSPOCKET 180. Googling it I came across a review from Lanse (Chuckee2000). I know that guy has taken a lot of flack due to his maybe-not-so-impartial reviews but this one looks fair:

835€+21%tax. Nice chunk of money. The sales department told me the smaller brother (TRANSPOCKET 150) should be sufficient for my needs.... But I feel that, as usual, if I end up going that route I will choose the big one (for the duty cycle)

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    ....let them know why With nasty emails to both corporate offices. and every review board one star until I felt better. But thats just me, i dont like being treated like a sucker.
    I am pretty much doing it. First I called the company and told me to bring it to the repair shop. Once I have a quote for the repair and an explanation of what failed, I will be writing back to them stating (again) how pissed off I am. If they don't make ir right (for VERY cheap) I wil be telling them the good press I am making (and will keep on making) about their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    buy a lincoln welder..do they sell them over there? they should as a global company..
    They do sell them here, yes. And recently I saw some models on display in a hardware store (ala Home Depot in US).

I don't know what I will end up buying but if I do buy new, for sure it is going to be a reputable brand, either European with a good record or Miller / Lincoln.

Will keep you updated,

Mikel

I know I wouldnt buy that brand or any brand that gave me that trouble and lack of support to repair...unless they compensated me well on the defective unit that had issues from new...

Still waiting for the shop to diagnose the problem. I am getting somewhat fed up

buy the Fronius. you wont be sorry. much better than a Lincoln, and literally no comparison to the Solter.

Finally the machine was fixed for cheap, arround 74€. The replaced some small items, adjusted something (not really sure about WHAT could be adjusted in an inverter machine) and load tested for a while.

Machine is now in the spanish equivalent of Craiglist.

And in a few minutes I am going to pick up the Fronius Transpocket 1800. I don't think I will regret it, but 1000€ is a decent amount of cash for a little machine. As long as it does not crap on me, I will be happy. And I am sure I am not going to wear it out.

Mikel

Well, the Transpocket 180 is in the trunk. Good looking machine. However it has no leads! And since I intend to sell my old machine WITH leads, I need to buy new ones. I would like to have 3mm for the ground and 4-5m for the electrode holder. Considering this is a 200 Amp machine and those lengths, which section of cable should I be using? 25mm should suffice? Or should I go with 35mm?

According to some charts I have found online, AWG 4 is good for intermitent loads of up to 190A and continuous of 140. I think that if I go with the locally available 25mm cable, I should be golden. Not that I foresee welding anywhere close to 180A acontinuously. Any thoughts?

Mikel
    Last edited by Mikel_24; 08-02-2018 at 09:50 AM.