Gloves, hands, welding safety - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,866

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    I mostly use split leather fencer gloves for cutting/grinding/welding unless I am working with 1/4" and up making long beads. I'll put on some long stick welding gloves for the heat with an extra silver heat pad over my guide hand.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South Central Kansas
    Posts
    383

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    While Mig welding I wear a Hobart welding glove on my left hand and a Tillman mig welding glove on my right hand. The Hobart glove is thicker and lets me stand the heat awhile longer than the Tillman glove does.

    When Stick welding I wear the Hobart gloves on both hands.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    4,399

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    safety gear:

    These glasses are GREAT.
    wear them all the time.

    mirrored are only on the outside... they are clear to look through.

    https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Safet...ef=ast_p_pc_bs
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.


  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Hate to be realistic here but us guys who chose this line of work are constantly bombarded with shiit thatll futtyupp. Paints, solvents, blasting,sanding, grinding dust,smoke from all different processes, fluxes, steels and a lot of stuff we dont even know wft it is. !
    OH wait ! I cleaned that with brake clean....in your 1/2 car garage in lower arctic circle.....beside a wood stove full of pitch.

    Almost makes a guy want to go to law school . NAH. I think I'll go rosebud some tar off this kettle so I can replace the ring gear tomorrow. Doubt I'll tote a respirator either.
    Left glove only. I cant throttle that trigger on the Victor with a glove.Most of my mentors checked out at 75-80. that will work for me oK too. Baddest airline man that ever fired a "heli-arc" . Thats what he called it. That's what I call it.
    Want a wing. Pass me a beer. I'll buck. you get inside.
    Name:  papajan.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  26.0 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 07-21-2018 at 04:05 AM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    426

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Hate to be realistic here but us guys who chose this line of work are constantly bombarded with shiit thatll futtyupp. Paints, solvents, blasting,sanding, grinding dust,smoke from all different processes, fluxes, steels and a lot of stuff we dont even know wft it is. !
    OH wait ! I cleaned that with brake clean....in your 1/2 car garage in lower arctic circle.....beside a wood stove full of pitch.

    Almost makes a guy want to go to law school . NAH. I think I'll go rosebud some tar off this kettle so I can replace the ring gear tomorrow. Doubt I'll tote a respirator either.
    Left glove only. I cant throttle that trigger on the Victor with a glove.Most of my mentors checked out at 75-80. that will work for me oK too. Baddest airline man that ever fired a "heli-arc" . Thats what he called it. That's what I call it.
    Want a wing. Pass me a beer. I'll buck. you get inside.
    Name:  papajan.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  26.0 KB
    you got it right. ignorance is the #1 safety hazard. just dont tell the 'experts'

    gotta love a safety guy choking down a micky d's meal and a half, chugging a gallon of coke, telling you your going to die of skin cancer or whatever. get this... my last job required hearing protection, safety glasess, goggles, hard hat, face shield, and long sleeves to even hold a grinder... but would not allow sun glasses when working outside. effin retarded.


    but on the gloves, the key to safety for me is comfort. i wear driver gloves from the lws for 90% of what i do. each new pair i oil up, put them on then genlty heat them to 'custom shrink/fit' to my hands. every so often i get the pair that just dont feel right and i eat the $10 and toss them in the trash. all about comfort

    in the summer i never wear sleeves, i just apply the liquid weld block. spf 70+
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Wear gloves constantly.

    Steel gets hot in the sun. Gets hot when you run the grinder, and is definitely hot after welding.

    Split cowhide work gloves in general, and Black Stallion 320's for welding. Doggone things are the coolest (temp wise) that I've ever used.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,095

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    However...…….when tanning my long sinewy legs for K'kins enjoyment...…...the gloves are off
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

    http://www.farmersamm.com/

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    4,957

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    A greater concern to me is a good helmet. I've had 10 or more. Each has it's shortcomings. My Miller digital elite needs to be readjusted each time circumstances change. I recently was welding thin, rusty metal in bright sun. I couldn't seem to find a compromise between it darkening in bright sun, and flashing me. I am concerned about UV damage to eyes.


    I'll never give up my old Jackson flipper. Over the years I have been handed all kinds of different lids for welding at different places and friends places. Auto is nice at times but even the few times I used them I got flashed. I hate getting flashed. My flipper never flashed me unless I forgot to flip it down (yes that has happened a few times). :/
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    5,687

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    However...…….when tanning my long sinewy legs for K'kins enjoyment...…...the gloves are off
    Do you tan in the nude?



    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    The major difference between Mig and Tig welding is that one process uses a continuously feeding wire (MIG) and the other you use long welding rods and slowly feed them into the weld puddle (TIG).

    TIG Welding, also known as Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), is a process that joins metals by heating them with an arc between a tungsten electrode (non-consumable) and the work piece. The process is used with a shielding gas and its done in surrounding of welding Shield Curtains. So that Gas and sparks may not effect the other co-workers.

    I would not say it is more or less dangerous as the light spectrum given off will do significant damage within both the process.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    I always wore ball caps to protect my head from the sun but it didn't work well, I got a nasty 2nd * burn on top of my head right where the little metal button is, that later turned into a cancer and still bugs me.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamlin, NY
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    So I'm watching Orange County Choppers part 2, and I see that these guys don't wear any sort of gloves while welding, mig, tig, whatever. I see the same in other fabrication shows like Gas Monkey Garage, The misfits spin-off, etc. Is it less dangerous on your skin to tig weld, than mig. Weld? Or are the guys in the show just showing off?
    You have watched the shows right? And heard the dumbass nonsense the spout off all the time? They're not showing off, just plain ole stupid. Stupid is as stupid does says Momma Gump. They do a lot of stupid...
    Ryan

    Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Yes, it's always better to wear gloves while doing welding. These welding gloves protect the hands from electrical shock, extreme heat and Ultraviolet & infrared radiations. Well, it's always important to required safety measures for both workers involved in the process and by the bystanders. For safety measures welding curtains are used to protect against sparks, ultraviolet light and spatter, and reducing the chance of injury. Moreover, welding curtains protect the workers by containing high temperatures and also from a high level of noise.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bilbao, Spain
    Posts
    783

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Gloves and safety glasses is the first thing I put on and the last I take off when I get to the shop (and change into / out off my work clothes, that is). I don't touch any tool without those items on. Respirator whenever I spray paint or doing intensive grinding and ear muffs for heavy grinding.

    Some member of the welding community seem to take pride in how hard and inherently dangerous our job/hobby is. Well, I personally think it is irresponsible not to take all available safety measures (to a certain extent, that is) to prevent health issues. There are ways arround all the issues mentioned up to now. Thinner dexterous gloves, light long sleeve protective clothing (no need to wear leathers all the time), etc.

    To each his own....

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,480

    Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    Gloves and safety glasses is the first thing I put on and the last I take off when I get to the shop (and change into / out off my work clothes, that is). I don't touch any tool without those items on. Respirator whenever I spray paint or doing intensive grinding and ear muffs for heavy grinding.

    Some member of the welding community seem to take pride in how hard and inherently dangerous our job/hobby is. Well, I personally think it is irresponsible not to take all available safety measures (to a certain extent, that is) to prevent health issues. There are ways arround all the issues mentioned up to now. Thinner dexterous gloves, light long sleeve protective clothing (no need to wear leathers all the time), etc.

    To each his own....
    many people in our trade take a macho pride in how dangerous it is; i always put gloves on even if i was just picking up a broom. i take pride in having all my fingers,both feet and two working eyes when i retired.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement