Gloves, hands, welding safety - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Gloves, hands, welding safety

I mostly use split leather fencer gloves for cutting/grinding/welding unless I am working with 1/4" and up making long beads. I'll put on some long stick welding gloves for the heat with an extra silver heat pad over my guide hand.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

While Mig welding I wear a Hobart welding glove on my left hand and a Tillman mig welding glove on my right hand. The Hobart glove is thicker and lets me stand the heat awhile longer than the Tillman glove does.

When Stick welding I wear the Hobart gloves on both hands.

safety gear:

These glasses are GREAT.
    wear them all the time.

mirrored are only on the outside... they are clear to look through.

https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Safet...ef=ast_p_pc_bs
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Hate to be realistic here but us guys who chose this line of work are constantly bombarded with shiit thatll futtyupp. Paints, solvents, blasting,sanding, grinding dust,smoke from all different processes, fluxes, steels and a lot of stuff we dont even know wft it is. !
    OH wait ! I cleaned that with brake clean....in your 1/2 car garage in lower arctic circle.....beside a wood stove full of pitch.

Almost makes a guy want to go to law school . NAH. I think I'll go rosebud some tar off this kettle so I can replace the ring gear tomorrow. Doubt I'll tote a respirator either.
    Left glove only. I cant throttle that trigger on the Victor with a glove.Most of my mentors checked out at 75-80. that will work for me oK too. Baddest airline man that ever fired a "heli-arc" . Thats what he called it. That's what I call it.
    Want a wing. Pass me a beer. I'll buck. you get inside.
    Name:  papajan.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  26.0 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 07-21-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Hate to be realistic here but us guys who chose this line of work are constantly bombarded with shiit thatll futtyupp. Paints, solvents, blasting,sanding, grinding dust,smoke from all different processes, fluxes, steels and a lot of stuff we dont even know wft it is. !
    OH wait ! I cleaned that with brake clean....in your 1/2 car garage in lower arctic circle.....beside a wood stove full of pitch.

Almost makes a guy want to go to law school . NAH. I think I'll go rosebud some tar off this kettle so I can replace the ring gear tomorrow. Doubt I'll tote a respirator either.
    Left glove only. I cant throttle that trigger on the Victor with a glove.Most of my mentors checked out at 75-80. that will work for me oK too. Baddest airline man that ever fired a "heli-arc" . Thats what he called it. That's what I call it.
    Want a wing. Pass me a beer. I'll buck. you get inside.
    Name:  papajan.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  26.0 KB
    you got it right. ignorance is the #1 safety hazard. just dont tell the 'experts'

gotta love a safety guy choking down a micky d's meal and a half, chugging a gallon of coke, telling you your going to die of skin cancer or whatever. get this... my last job required hearing protection, safety glasess, goggles, hard hat, face shield, and long sleeves to even hold a grinder... but would not allow sun glasses when working outside. effin retarded.

but on the gloves, the key to safety for me is comfort. i wear driver gloves from the lws for 90% of what i do. each new pair i oil up, put them on then genlty heat them to 'custom shrink/fit' to my hands. every so often i get the pair that just dont feel right and i eat the $10 and toss them in the trash. all about comfort

in the summer i never wear sleeves, i just apply the liquid weld block. spf 70+
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Wear gloves constantly.

Steel gets hot in the sun. Gets hot when you run the grinder, and is definitely hot after welding.

Split cowhide work gloves in general, and Black Stallion 320's for welding. Doggone things are the coolest (temp wise) that I've ever used.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

However...…….when tanning my long sinewy legs for K'kins enjoyment...…...the gloves are off
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    A greater concern to me is a good helmet. I've had 10 or more. Each has it's shortcomings. My Miller digital elite needs to be readjusted each time circumstances change. I recently was welding thin, rusty metal in bright sun. I couldn't seem to find a compromise between it darkening in bright sun, and flashing me. I am concerned about UV damage to eyes.

I'll never give up my old Jackson flipper. Over the years I have been handed all kinds of different lids for welding at different places and friends places. Auto is nice at times but even the few times I used them I got flashed. I hate getting flashed. My flipper never flashed me unless I forgot to flip it down (yes that has happened a few times). :/
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    However...…….when tanning my long sinewy legs for K'kins enjoyment...…...the gloves are off
    Do you tan in the nude?

"Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

The major difference between Mig and Tig welding is that one process uses a continuously feeding wire (MIG) and the other you use long welding rods and slowly feed them into the weld puddle (TIG).

TIG Welding, also known as Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), is a process that joins metals by heating them with an arc between a tungsten electrode (non-consumable) and the work piece. The process is used with a shielding gas and its done in surrounding of welding Shield Curtains. So that Gas and sparks may not effect the other co-workers.

I would not say it is more or less dangerous as the light spectrum given off will do significant damage within both the process.

I always wore ball caps to protect my head from the sun but it didn't work well, I got a nasty 2nd * burn on top of my head right where the little metal button is, that later turned into a cancer and still bugs me.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    So I'm watching Orange County Choppers part 2, and I see that these guys don't wear any sort of gloves while welding, mig, tig, whatever. I see the same in other fabrication shows like Gas Monkey Garage, The misfits spin-off, etc. Is it less dangerous on your skin to tig weld, than mig. Weld? Or are the guys in the show just showing off?
    You have watched the shows right? And heard the dumbass nonsense the spout off all the time? They're not showing off, just plain ole stupid. Stupid is as stupid does says Momma Gump. They do a lot of stupid...
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Yes, it's always better to wear gloves while doing welding. These welding gloves protect the hands from electrical shock, extreme heat and Ultraviolet & infrared radiations. Well, it's always important to required safety measures for both workers involved in the process and by the bystanders. For safety measures welding curtains are used to protect against sparks, ultraviolet light and spatter, and reducing the chance of injury. Moreover, welding curtains protect the workers by containing high temperatures and also from a high level of noise.

Gloves and safety glasses is the first thing I put on and the last I take off when I get to the shop (and change into / out off my work clothes, that is). I don't touch any tool without those items on. Respirator whenever I spray paint or doing intensive grinding and ear muffs for heavy grinding.

Some member of the welding community seem to take pride in how hard and inherently dangerous our job/hobby is. Well, I personally think it is irresponsible not to take all available safety measures (to a certain extent, that is) to prevent health issues. There are ways arround all the issues mentioned up to now. Thinner dexterous gloves, light long sleeve protective clothing (no need to wear leathers all the time), etc.

To each his own....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    Gloves and safety glasses is the first thing I put on and the last I take off when I get to the shop (and change into / out off my work clothes, that is). I don't touch any tool without those items on. Respirator whenever I spray paint or doing intensive grinding and ear muffs for heavy grinding.

Some member of the welding community seem to take pride in how hard and inherently dangerous our job/hobby is. Well, I personally think it is irresponsible not to take all available safety measures (to a certain extent, that is) to prevent health issues. There are ways arround all the issues mentioned up to now. Thinner dexterous gloves, light long sleeve protective clothing (no need to wear leathers all the time), etc.

To each his own....
    many people in our trade take a macho pride in how dangerous it is; i always put gloves on even if i was just picking up a broom. i take pride in having all my fingers,both feet and two working eyes when i retired.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I only wear a left glove. Anyone want to buy a bunch of Tillman right handers in as new condition ?
    How many you got? Im left handed and burn up the right hand glove in 2 days, I got maybe 20 jillion left handed gloves. I guess leading with my right and squeezing the trigger on the gun with my left and running a 10 to 15 foot bead will do that while runnin about 320 amps. Actually me and another fella who is right handed swap gloves a lot he gets my nice lefties and I get his nice righties.

On another note when I was about 19 or 20 something I was wearing my ring from a girlfeind it was a US Army ring she bought for me for Christmas or my birthday. So im out there welding a bucket or something and I get a hot one down in my glove on that ring....YOWZA did that hurt it took everything I had to get that ring off my finger and it made a nasty mess out of it for about 2 months got infected got blood poison damn near lost that finger. Never wore it again. So I get married and have a wedding ring it was pretty chunky when she put it on me. I never took that one off until one day I was changing bogeys on a dozer. Over the years I guess the ring wore down and got pretty thin, and so we were married about 17 or 18 years then. I am pullin on a 3 foot pipe on a ratchet about 10 oclock. I got em all out. About 2 o clock my finger starts getting numb, I pulled that hard on that pipe I squeezed the ring down into my finger and its startin to turn purple. Well with a bunch of grease and some GOJO I finally got it off. She asked where it was I pulled it out of my pocket and showed it to her, she couldn't believe how thin it got and the way it bent. I cant even get either one of them rings on my hand now
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 06-15-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    How many you got? Im left handed and burn up the right hand glove in 2 days, I got maybe 20 jillion left handed gloves. I guess leading with my right and squeezing the trigger on the gun with my left and running a 10 to 15 foot bead will do that while runnin about 320 amps. Actually me and another fella who is right handed swap gloves a lot he gets my nice lefties and I get his nice righties.

On another note when I was about 19 or 20 something I was wearing my ring from a girlfeind it was a US Army ring she bought for me for Christmas or my birthday. So im out there welding a bucket or something and I get a hot one down in my glove on that ring....YOWZA did that hurt it took everything I had to get that ring off my finger and it made a nasty mess out of it for about 2 months got infected got blood poison damn near lost that finger. Never wore it again. So I get married and have a wedding ring it was pretty chunky when she put it on me. I never took that one off until one day I was changing bogeys on a dozer. Over the years I guess the ring wore down and got pretty thin, and so we were married about 17 or 18 years then. I am pullin on a 3 foot pipe on a ratchet about 10 oclock. I got em all out. About 2 o clock my finger starts getting numb, I pulled that hard on that pipe I squeezed the ring down into my finger and its startin to turn purple. Well with a bunch of grease and some GOJO I finally got it off. She asked where it was I pulled it out of my pocket and showed it to her, she couldn't believe how thin it got and the way it bent. I cant even get either one of them rings on my hand now
    before i got smart and started leaving my ring in the locker i lost a claddah ring my mother gave me on my 16th birthday someplace at work. i tore the place apart in my spare time for weeks;hung signs,offered money;i even stuck my hand in the nasty azz gang shower drain before i discovered it inside the burnt and shriveled finger tip of the welding gloves i was using.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    before i got smart and started leaving my ring in the locker i lost a claddah ring my mother gave me on my 16th birthday someplace at work. i tore the place apart in my spare time for weeks;hung signs,offered money;i even stuck my hand in the nasty azz gang shower drain before i discovered it inside the burnt and shriveled finger tip of the welding gloves i was using.
    damn how did you not know it was in there when you were wearing the glove, i'm thinkin that would drive me bonkers. Whats a claddah ring? never heard of one

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    damn how did you not know it was in there when you were wearing the glove, i'm thinkin that would drive me bonkers. Whats a claddah ring? never heard of one
    just before their ready to toss into the trash my arc welding gloves are like stiff,stretched out bacalhau. my lost ring wasn't anyplace else so had nothing to loose by checking there. it was pushed up at the very finger tip wedged into the insulation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Yup, yup you can't put a price on safety. A few years ago when i worked in an off road fabrication shop in LV, If you weren't wearing gloves and eye pro while in his shop at all times, he started to dock your pay... Not to mention if you did not use "flush cut" snips on zip ties, your wallet would be lighter..he would inspect and run his hands over all the zip ties on the trucks and buggies....I didn't mind it at all. His shop, his rules..Not only that, a lot of his fabbed trucks and buggies went to actors and sports stars... Nothing wrong with rules, discipline and attention to detail...After all that is what 20 years active duty Army taught me....
    Welds last longer than Love...

Ever had a 20K RPM wire wheel grab a t-shirt ? I havent worn a T-shirt in 40 years. Buttons please.

Ever had a 20K RPM wire wheel grab a t-shirt ? I havent worn a T-shirt in 40 years. Buttons please.
    hasn't everyone? i did have that happen and have a pic of the result. the wheel caught on my tee shirt just above the belt and ran up towards my face. it almost went under my face shield before i realized what was happening and tightened my grip on the grinder. it was the last time i ran a grinder without the guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Yup! As a teenager I was less consumed with safety. I rarely wore a shirt in summer. My 9" Milwaukee 16? amp grinder was a hog, 5000 RPM of power. No pictures, (I can't remember if cameras were a thing then). Dug a trench 3/8" deep into my (then) skinny belly.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.