what metal alloy do you think this needs to be?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

what metal alloy do you think this needs to be?

I am contemplating making a variation of this stump grinder. I am wanting your thoughts on what material these cutting blades are made of. They are small segments welded together in a stagered stair step pattern so I know it is weldable what ever it is. Fecon Stumpex Stump Grinder Maintenance - YouTube

Do you think its harder than this? https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCEc&adurl=
    Last edited by thegary; 07-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Re: what metal alloy do you think this needs to be?

That is a different video than the one I watched the first time. The guy in this video says its AR500 material. i believe he is a salesman though so I wonder if he is really right about what material it is.

I doubt it would be much harder than cutting edge. Maybe some type of hard surface could be applied to give you an edge that would hold up better. I would think anything with much more hardness would lack the impact durability that is also needed.

i dont have an answer, but, my guess, youd be safe w/ the hardest material you can get away w/ welding. in my mind theres no impact to speak of in tree stumps. maybee if you hit a big rock or foundation next to tree it would be. i got a vermeer 1250 tree chipper, and the oem blades are some really hard steel, supposedly a a8 tool steel. i only had them sharpened once, they hold there edge well, and i never ever chipped one w/ all the crap we ran through there. however they bolt on, not weld. i d proably try whatever type of tractor bucket edge i could find laying around. i welded a road grader/motor grader edge on a huge tractor bucket that scraped cement all day, and it lasted a long long time