Questions from newbie tig welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Questions from newbie tig welder

Hello forum members
    i am new in this forum and newbie Tig welder. İ want you to ask some questions about tig welding aluminum
    if i can weld good in near future i will try to weld bike frames Now questions

1-) Whats the best gas flow rate and does higher gas flow rate burns aluminum, What happens at the lower gas flow rates ?

2-) Whats the best ac balance for aluminum ?

3-) Best electrode size for max 100 Amper Green electrode

4-) Should i use gas lenses

5-) Which cup sizes i must choose

My machine is Lasic 200 P ACDC

Thanks Everyone for your help

Re: Questions from newbie tig welder

I’m just a hobby welder, so take all this with a grain of salt!
    1. I use 20 CFH.
    2. I use 70 balance.
    3. I use 1/8-inch tungsten.
    4. I use a gas lens.
    5. I use a number 7 cup, for most of my welding.

I use 250 for AC frequency.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

1 Flow rate is dependent on cup size and whether or not you have a gas lens collet body. There is no one right answer here. Too high a flow rate and you will get poor coverage from gas turbulence. Too low a flow rate and you will also get poor gas coverage. Poor gas coverage from whatever the cause will cause your tungstens to burn up and you may get weld porosity, oxidation and other issues.
    2 There is no one right answer. Depends on how clean your aluminum is. I was taught to weld on a sine wave TIG machine with no balance control (i.e., 50/50 EN to EP) and it worked fine. On my sysncrowave on really clean metal, I can go up to roughly 70-80% EN with no problem
    3 Don't use green tungstens they are a waste of money. But 100 amps is roughly the upper limit of any 1/16th tungsten. I would personally go with a 3/32 size in that range
    4 Yes, full stop, no exceptions. I can't think of any good reason to not use a gas lens
    5 Whichever works best for your job. The larger the cup size the more gas flow you need. I tend to use a size 7 or 8 cup for most everything, with a gas lens kit
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Your best bet would be to start with CEPs advice and experiment!

Learn the most common tig welding mistakes, and adjust parameters accordingly. TIG is often described as an “art” Thats because producing a good looking TIG weld much depends on the Weldors ability to not only to operate the equipment with a fine amount of finesse and degree of precision, but equally his ability to manipulate the variables of the equipment to suit the weld.

Practice, and experiment. You can often produce the same weld with more than one combination of Amperage, flow rate, cup size, electrode size, filler size, travel speed, and arc gap. I too am in my infant stages of learning TIG. Learn what your parameters do in the weld process, as well as the common mistakes and weld defects. This is my best observation from one newbie TIG weldor to another. YouTube is immensely helpful, especially Jody Collier, and Bob Moffatt. “Tigtime” is so-so, you’ll see a lot of his videos pop up. But they are my last choice if I can’t find specifically what I want from Jody, or Bob. If you want to see some cool aluminum stuff checkout 6061.coms YouTube channel, he doesn’t really narrate but you can pick up some good details just by watching.

If only we could get a good modern Tig welding production from Steve Bleile equivelant in awesomeness to his other welding instructionals that’d be sweet..
    Last edited by Mmock4; 07-05-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by fethi_dogan88 View Post
    Hello forum members
    i am new in this forum and newbie Tig welder. İ want you to ask some questions about tig welding aluminum
    if i can weld good in near future i will try to weld bike frames Now questions

1-) Whats the best gas flow rate and does higher gas flow rate burns aluminum, What happens at the lower gas flow rates ?

2-) Whats the best ac balance for aluminum ?

3-) Best electrode size for max 100 Amper Green electrode

4-) Should i use gas lenses

5-) Which cup sizes i must choose

My machine is Lasic 200 P ACDC

Thanks Everyone for your help
    1) too low of gas on aluminum you won't get good gas coverage and you will get poor welds and black dust
    A good rule of thumb is double the cup size. so #7 cup = 15cfh flow rate. that will get you in the ball park

2) there is no 'best'. it's all about what works for YOU and your weld joint. Generally I run around 70% penetration 30% cleaning. That's a good starting area. Too much cleaning puts too much heat into the tungsten and it will deform. Too little and you get dirty welds

3) 3/32 is the most commonly used. works well down low and can handle upwards of 200amps. Don't use green it's crap IMO

4) age old debate. Some people love a standard #4 or #5 cup with aluminum and some love a #8 gas lens. All depends on you. personally I run a 3/32 tungsten, #8 gas lens and 15cfh of argon.

5) cup size depends. See above. For guys welding titanium, inconel, stainless they need good gas coverage so they will use a 12,14, 20 etc. For aluminum you don't need a post flow so larger than a #8 is not really needed (again everything depends on what you are welding)

For beginners. 3/32 tungsten, #8 gas lens (you can get farther stick out), 15cfh of gas. Have someone turn your gas down while you weld or up and you can see th affect it has. Too much can cause turbulence and pull outside air into the weld. You want the least amount of gas possible without hurting the weld quality. Most importantly for beginners is torch angle and travel speed. Pick some settings and leave them alone and work on hand movement and torch angle. Also pre flow .5 is enough and post flow for aluminum 4-5 seconds is enough. Longer if you don't like the tungsten to turn color but it could be a waste of gas too.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

With really clean aluminum, good gas coverage, and low stick out, sometimes I can get away with 10/90 AC balance, that keeps your tungsten nice and sharp for a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Don't use green tungstens they are a waste of money. But 100 amps is roughly the upper limit of any 1/16th tungsten. I would personally go with a 3/32 size in that range
    Whats the best electrode color for aluminum to a newbie welder ?

Whats the best electrode color for aluminum to a newbie welder ?
    Most prefer lanthanated tungsten, I use Thoriated. It’s somewhat a matter of personal preference. These tungstens will also give you an increased current carrying capacity over the pure tungsten of equivalent size. Be aware that Thoriated Tungsten is mildly radioactive, and while there’s very little evidence that their use will lead to health problems it’s still wise to manage the dust associated with grinding them.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

last question whats the best post gas second (post flow) and what does it mean can you explain me a little bit

last question whats the best post gas second (post flow) and what does it mean can you explain me a little bit
    Did you read my post?
    4-5 seconds is enough for aluminum
    Post flow is the amount of time gas is flowing after the weld is done.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Did you read my post?
    4-5 seconds is enough for aluminum
    Post flow is the amount of time gas is flowing after the weld is done.
    That is right because alum freezes so fast. One good way to confirm is reduce post flow until you see the tungsten discolor, then increase slightly. If you are using an aircooled torch, you might consider raising post flow to cool the torch if it gets hot.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

I despise the questions that ask the "BEST". There is never a best, ever. Every single situation can change with so many variables there's hardly an "even close" without explicit details. provided you have those explicit details, go weld 2 passes and now you have to change everything because your material is heat soaked and all your "best" settings are useless. On top of all that, moving just slightly too fast or slow makes everything you set wrong. The BEST thing anyone can do is go play and figure it out.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    1988 Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC
    2018 Lincoln 180
    2018 Lincoln 3350 PAPR Hood
    1976 Smith SC209, Sw1 Torches
    2018 Miller WP17V
    2018 CK Worldwide CK17FV