Floor protection against welding processes
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Floor protection against welding processes

Hello. I am hobbyist that is starting with arc welding. Unfortunately I don't have a proper place to weld, however I have a ventilated backyard where I am planning to work. My problem is that is covered with ceramic tile and I don't know how is best to protect the surface against welding damage. Any suggestions for temporary solutions?

Re: Floor protection against welding processes

How temporary ? A couple 4 x 8 sheets of galvanized will work. 18 or 20 gauge.

Thank you. That temporary solution is what I thought at the beginning, but later I got doubts regarding extending electromagnetic fields. Is not a matter to be concerned? Or is that such thin layers will not create a problem. If it's just me I wouldn't mind but my teenage son will be helping me.

Temporary in this case means just a couple of days.

NAH. No magic fields. Toss them on the floor and have at it.If it's a couple days 1/4 plywood is cheaper. Maybe ? Just keep a hose or bucket off water handy

Or maybe a 10 x 10 medium weight welding blanket....

https://www.curtain-and-divider.com/...4aAmJqEALw_wcB

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by LanceR View Post

Lance
    S.............tretch ?

Welcome!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    NAH. No magic fields. Toss them on the floor and have at it.If it's a couple days 1/4 plywood is cheaper. Maybe ? Just keep a hose or bucket off water handy
    hahaha, EMF are very real to me. But yes, for just a couple of days who cares. I might choose metal sheets instead plywood, not because of cost, but I don't want water close the my welding area. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceR View Post

Lance
    This is great. I looked for them but somehow I didn't know what to seek. This is an expensive article, but what complicates more is that they are not available in my country. Thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks Cavemann. I really like this forum, congrats to all of you for it.

Masonite with a welding blanket over them. We had to weld in a school gym with wood floor. Set 1/2" plywood down, 4'x4' Masonite over plywood seams, and welding blankets on top. No problem at all. We used plywood just Incase we dropped something. I think Plywood will absorb shock better than metal. Dropping a hammer on metal might just transfer to surface below.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Masonite with a welding blanket over them. We had to weld in a school gym with wood floor. Set 1/2" plywood down, 4'x4' Masonite over plywood seams, and welding blankets on top. No problem at all. We used plywood just Incase we dropped something. I think Plywood will absorb shock better than metal. Dropping a hammer on metal might just transfer to surface below.
    I am guessing Masonite is similar to OSB? I'll check for it, thanks. And I didn't think about preventing impact from dropping things, that's a good idea.

You might be the right person to my next question, and I am not going to elaborate about it in this thread but, What would you say is a good age to start with arc welding? I heard exposed male teens are more susceptible to infertility problems in the future. I certainly don't want that for my son.
    Last edited by rsuarez; 07-07-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsuarez View Post
    I am guessing Masonite is similar to OSB? I'll check for it, thanks. And I didn't think about preventing impact from dropping things, that's a good idea.

You might be the right person to my next question, and I am not going to elaborate about it in this thread but, What would you say is a good age to start with arc welding? I heard exposed male teens are more susceptible to infertility problems in the future. I certainly don't want that for my son.
    Similar. It's garbage they use in the "first world" to make "houses" out of.....
    The first weld I ever made was with oxy-acet and a coat hanger......back when coat hangers were copper coated wire. It was in the summer of 1966. If you can draw a straight line , you can weld. 6-8 years old is fine...If the kid is smart enough to clean a fish. he can start to weld.
    If not---there's always politics

Name:  f4.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  76.3 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 07-07-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Get some tile backer board like Durock or Hardie Board

CR

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    Get some tile backer board like Durock or Hardie Board
    Thanks. Protective-wise will work fine with heat and sparks, I also thought about it at the beginning. The reason why I discarded the idea is because of its weight; now thinking also about dropping things, may not be a good idea because it will split in pieces adding garbage.

Teaching a child anything is always a good time. I never heard of welding affecting anything except your checkbook. My dad showed me when I was about 16 . I really didn't care then. When I started my PIPEFITTERS apprenticeship is when I really fell in love with it.
    I have had some young kids around 12 try welding. They were the children of the adults I was helping out.
    One mom was upset because her daughter had no issues running stick. It was funny.
    Having personal protection is important from work gloves to work book or shoes. I bought small size work boots from Goodwill for a couple of bucks to have on hand. Burning holes in socks may get mom angry
    Last edited by BD1; 07-07-2018 at 01:05 PM.

You could always cover your work area with 2 or 3 inches of dry sand if you don't mind the work to remove it when you change venues.
    ---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Teaching a child anything is always a good time. I never heard of welding affecting anything except your checkbook. My dad showed me when I was about 16 . I really didn't care then. When I started my PIPEFITTERS apprenticeship is when I really fell in love with it.
    I have had some young kids around 12 try welding. They were the children of the adults I was helping out.
    One mom was upset because her daughter had no issues running stick. It was funny.
    Having personal protection is important from work gloves to work book or shoes. I bought small size work boots from Goodwill for a couple of bucks to have on hand. Burning holes in socks may get mom angry
    That's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    You could always cover your work area with 2 or 3 inches of dry sand if you don't mind the work to remove it when you change venues.
    Oh, that is interesting and a very good idea that fulfill requirements; I'll keep it in mind. Thank you very much.

To this point I am satisfied with the suggestions, and I thank everybody so much for getting involved. See you soon in other threads.
    Last edited by rsuarez; 07-09-2018 at 08:32 AM.