Clamps for handling sheet and plate
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Clamps for handling sheet and plate

I am wanting to start dealing more with plate and sheet steel 1/2 to 16ga. My plan is to store vertical, but I need to lay it down to cut. I have a cherry picker and plan to build a gantry eventually. The real issue is how to hook the steel to the cherry picker? I see the plate dogs with serrated teeth, but the user manuals always say for vertical use only and have limits of 20% of clamp capacity - typically 200-400 pounds. That's more than I care to lift!

I am a little sketchy on a magnet for thin floppy stuff, but if it works I will go that route.

Are the screw type clamps safer for thin steel?

Looking for safe ideas... What's working for everyone else?

Thanks

Dan

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Re: Clamps for handling sheet and plate

I just used a heavy section of 2x2 box about four feet long with an eye in the center then I placed four pair of welding style vise grips over the box clamped to the sheet with two in the center on either side of the eye to keep it from sliding worked great on 4x8 sheets of 1/4 diamond plate I picked them up with my tractor to set them in place on my trailer

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use a plate clamp to pick sheets vertically. Then I built a spreader bar and use suction cups to pick the sheets flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I use a plate clamp to pick sheets vertically. Then I built a spreader bar and use suction cups to pick the sheets flat.
    I saw your suction cups in another post and like the idea. Do you lay the sheet down flat with the clamp? The manuals all say vertical only, and I guess that's what makes me question spending a couple hundred dollars only to drop sheets!

Thanks for the pictures

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ddfarmboy View Post
    Do you lay the sheet down flat with the clamp?
    Yes, I do.
    We used the same clamps to handles these beams in the Metro tunnel down town Seattle. 311-pounds per foot.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I use a plate lifting clamp similar to CEP. The reason manufactures state for vertical only is that the jaws grab when lifting up . As you lower sheet on a angle the jaws may start to release because there is not enough weight to lock jaws on sheet. I never had a issue with mine you need to be cautious.
    Magswitch has a variety of lifting magnets but not cheap. Zoro tool carries them too and frequently have a 20% or 25% off sale. These small ones are cute and would be nice on a spreader bar setup. $128.01 each.

Here's a suction cup model. https://www.zoro.com/fast-cap-double...le/i/G4226747/

Amazon has the suction cups too, rated at 220 pounds, $11.88
    https://www.amazon.com/Suction-Alumi...on+cup+lifters

https://www.zoro.com/magswitch-hand-...59/i/G3339408/
    Name:  Z1oxFulcpEx_.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  22.2 KB

I just us a few of these...OYE muchachos VENGA ! A 4x8x1/4 is only 326 lbs. I got my side if you have yours. a couple of these guys from the dairy and a sheet of 5/8 is a non-issue
    Name:  tarzan-tico.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  46.4 KB

I made this plate clamp about 30 years ago as I was too poor to buy one at the time. It has been used a bunch and have always been glad I made it. I can't picture any shop getting by with out one.

A large local fabricating shop closed up a few years back and my buddy picked up two of these nearly new clamps for under $200.

He kept one and I took the other.

As others have said you can use them to lay sheets horizontally, but carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I made this plate clamp about 30 years ago as I was too poor to buy one at the time. It has been used a bunch and have always been glad I made it. I can't picture any shop getting by with out one.
    Smart move using a grade 5 bolt........most don't understand that

Not all plate clamps are the same. You want one that specifically says it is the locking type. You can get buy without, but it's tricky.
    My name's not Jim....

Not all plate clamps are the same. You want one that specifically says it is the locking type. You can get buy without, but it's tricky.
    Amen to that. Nothing like laying a 5 x 10 sheet of 3/4 plate down on the floor and having the grab let go. Cleans all the dust from under it tho :-)......................Mike

Vertical clamps have minimum weights and minimum thicknesses for the plate. Disregard at your own risk.

Thanks for all the input guys. I did order suction cups for light stuff that needs more support. For the stuff like 1/4 and up what's a good plate clamp? I saw the Vestil brand on Northern Tool. It appears to have a lock and for my needs a lower load limit (1000 lbs) is probably better when considering the minimum lift of 20%.

https://m.northerntool.com/products/...1798?adv=false

I also found a "low cost" model on EPay, but I don't know about quality. Dropping a heavy plate because I am cheap just doesn't seem quite right...

Are these decent brands or do I need to spend more money for quality? I won't be using them daily or likely even weekly.

I most likely won't be moving 3/4, but my last round was 3 sheets 5x10 of 3/8 and I quickly figured out there must be a better way!

Regards,

Dan

Last edited by ddfarmboy; 07-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Here is the one I have. Had it forever and they are handy. I used mine for pulling a I beam from the steel rack by sliding into web. To worked great for sucking it out and then reposition to center.
    Mine is the gripping type and locks when under load. You have to unhook and push in to release.
    Name:  213C6A89-47E8-40BF-9322-B43F97434A43.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  141.2 KBName:  C84D1587-8624-45E2-BCD5-0556F3AC5A3D.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  134.4 KB

At work I use a plate grab like the ones already shown and a 2 way overhead hoist(up down powered only, east, west, north, south is larp powered ). I store vertically and made the rack low enough that I can lift a sheet from the back and drag it over the others.
    One thing to be mindful of when laying flat is the design of the cam action. You want to ALWAYS keep tension on the cam thus pinching the plate. Also anticipate what the sheet is gonna do if it does let go. ALWAYS make sure you are not in the line of fire.
    I lift from 16ga aluminum, 1/4" stainless up to 3/4" steel with mine. Anything larger I simply weld on a pad eye and use the hook.

Like Bob said I cant picture any shop getting by with out one. Great for rolling large sections of I and H beam also.

In a severe pinch I HAVE used F style (Bessy) clamps and a chain. This is NOT RECOMMENDED at all and has resulted in a few butt puckering moments.
    If you cant fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem.

"Boy, everyone starts with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty."-Grandad circa 1990ish

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Here is the one I have. Had it forever and they are handy. I used mine for pulling a I beam from the steel rack by sliding into web. To worked great for sucking it out and then reposition to center.
    Mine is the gripping type and locks when under load. You have to unhook and push in to release.
    Name:  213C6A89-47E8-40BF-9322-B43F97434A43.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  141.2 KBName:  C84D1587-8624-45E2-BCD5-0556F3AC5A3D.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  134.4 KB
    I have a couple of these lifting clamps, if the moveable jaw is on "top" of the plate you are laying down they seem to be safe. The change in angle keeps the Jaw locked. They are also handy for holding large pipe elbows while lining up to tack.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I have a couple of these lifting clamps, if the moveable jaw is on "top" of the plate you are laying down they seem to be safe. The change in angle keeps the Jaw locked. They are also handy for holding large pipe elbows while lining up to tack.
    Yes sir for pipe elbows. I convinced owner to buy a few of them after I brought mine down to work to show him. Had a big job with 12'' and 16'' . Used the roustabout and plate clamp to set the elbows , It was really slick . Worked great for grabbing pipe in end to raise to get dollies under it. Much quicker than getting a sling around it. You still need to be conscience on how you work with it. Like anything , it's another tool that has its place.
    It can be used instead of a sling at times too and requires minimal headroom. IF the jaws fit fully in it you can move or lift almost anything within the clamp rating. This could be another one of those items where you wonder how you did without it. Sadly all of these to do without goodies comes with a price.

When I got my plasma table the very first thing I cut was hooks for moving heavy plate. 3 points are needed to keep them from slipping.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

So I order some of the suction cups. With hours kind of crazy at work, the only thing I did was clamp the freezer and fridge door together to see if my kids would notice... They did.

Also, the fridge is not the smooth finish, still the old textured steel and the cups stay on it tight. I think it will work for lifting light stuff.

Now I just need to watch for a deal on a plate clamp and I will be set.

Thanks for the help and ideas

Dan

They make a screw type plate clamp, rather then cam, which I have used and they work well. A little bit slower to take on and off but they don't loosen if you lay it down.