Lincwelder 225, very hard to strike an arc
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincwelder 225, very hard to strike an arc

I've had this welder for a year or so now, and it has always worked perfectly. I used it at work a couple weeks ago, and found it was extremely hard to strike an arc at idle speed. It never had this issue before.

Many time I found myself going outside and striking the hot lead directly to the negative stud, and a few times that didnt work. I had to have someone physically idle up the engine using the idler lever in order for me to strike an arc. It welds beautifully after its struck.

The ONLY thing that I can think that may have happened, was my cover got blown off (bungee cord snapped) during a storm and it was rained on heavily overnight. I didnt know it had happened until the next morning.

Any advice or where to start would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Name:  linwelder.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  177.1 KB

Re: Lincwelder 225, very hard to strike an arc

I would start by checking all the brushes and making sure none of them are stuck, then clean the commutator with a commutator stone. Maybe your idle speed is a little low, try to adjust it a little higher. I believe it has a r57 idler, wouldn't hurt to take apart and give it a good cleaning.

Just got home from work, thanks for the advice. I’m going to try to find a guide for the idler and give it a shot. It doesn’t seem to be idling low, but I can check voltage at the ac plug. I am supposed to check voltage with it idling or at speed?

I checked the clearance between the armature and valve stem, its right at 0.018. I had to slightly depress the bottom piece in order to fit the feeler in. If I pulled the feeler back out, it sprung back up and made contact. There was no force involved, more of a free play. Once that 'free play' was gone, the feeler felt like it should. Is this right or should there always be an air gap there?

Here are a couple videos too, I labeled them incorrectly on youtube on accident.

In the voltage test video, less than a second into the video, I was trying to strike an arc on a scrap piece of 1/4 steel. This was after me manually activating the solenoid a few times. It would not strike at all before the manual activation.

Voltage test:

Manual activation of solenoid:

First picture is my solenoid, taken apart and in order. Isn’t there supposed to be a filter in this sequence of parts? There isn’t anything down inside the valve body.

Looks like I can’t add pics via cell phone. I’ll add them in a few minutes

Name:  81E85B9A-2993-4A9C-BA37-F9DAB9695072.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  58.3 KBName:  3B543347-1677-414A-8A21-574817C4AAAA.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  98.0 KB

Well, I’d kick myself if I could. Everything else came apart very easily. This snapped right away.

I’m betting the likelihood of finding this part is pretty low. Ideas?

I did find the filter by the way. I couldn’t get it to drop out, hence the reason for trying to remove the piece I broke.

Name:  D15AA95A-EEF7-47E0-9359-D512FA7F7BAF.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  78.9 KB

That idler is the same as the ones in sa 200s came with original, you could try eBay or give stumps welding supply a call they should have some, take your solenoid and briefly apply 12v from a battery to it to see if it still works leave the spring and plunger in it, it should pull down, but don't make the mistake I did and lanuch the plunger and spring across the shop. It looks like the solenoid isn't working to let the vacuum out the diaphragm. I know to set the full speed RPM is to get a hertz meter and plug it in the outlet, at full throttle it should be 50 Hertz, that's one way to set it, but I can't remember how to set low ldle. Another problem could be that the wire connections to the solenoid could be corroded.
    Last edited by Bobby Williber; 07-09-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Are you wanting to replace the whole assembly or just the brass fitting that is broken? The brass fitting can most likely be replaced with a fitting from a local auto parts store, take the broken parts with you, for comparison. The broken threaded part can usually be removed with an EZ Out. If all else fails, a machine shop or a friend handy with tools can make one pretty easily. HTH Good luck!