Lincoln Electric Pro-Mig 135--120volt/20amps--Flux core vs. gas for go-kart
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln Electric Pro-Mig 135--120volt/20amps--Flux core vs. gas for go-kart

Hi, I'm pretty new to welding but my kids are determined to build a go-kart so I bought a used Lincoln Electric Pro-mig 135. I've been practicing with both flux core and gas. The go-kart we plan to use will be made of some 1" 11 gauge steel. What I'm wondering is why the suggested setting chart provided doesn't include settings for anything thicker than 14 gauge with gas but it gives settings for flux-core all the way to 1/4inch. Does that mean I cannot use this to weld the 11 gauge steel with gas even if I bevel edges etc? Or can I get away with it? I'd prefer to use the gas if I can. But obviously I want as strong a weld as my meager skills can muster. Thanks for your help. Andrew

Re: Lincoln Electric Pro-Mig 135--120volt/20amps--Flux core vs. gas for go-kart

Use CO2 and 0.025 inch L-56 wire.
    That's what I use. I have passed a bend test on a 3/8 plate, with a lot of weld prep and preheating.
    So you have to have grinders and stuff to notch and bevel the pipe.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

I use my tapped Pro Mig 140 almost daily.It's a fine machine. Get a bottle of CO2 and very carefully--- adjust the wire speed for position. Make sure the nozzle and the contact tip are close to flush and make sure you have a HEAVY ground clamp. Grind the spot for the ground and grind the pieces to be mated where you intend to weld them.

OOOPS. Flux and 110 is a scam. Utter nonsense

I had a lincoln 110v mig welder that was almost worthless with gas but I could weld decent with flux core wire. Flux core welds hotter.

My Lincoln welds great with CO2 and 0.025 L-56 wire.
    I passed a bend test on a 3/8 plate. Just to prove it could be done.
    old Miller spectrum 625

FYI, I think the door chart is for a “single pass”. Maybe bevel, gap, and make multiple passes? (Is that even possible?) The pros on here can give better advice on that than I can. I would just stick with the flux core on your machine. With proper skill and technique you should be able to lay down a pretty strong weld on that 11 gauge tubing using the flux core. You’ll be surprised how little splatter you get when you clean your metal really well, get a GOOD ground, and use quality self shielding wire. My little Lincoln 140 loves the Lincoln flux core wire and produces a smooth, clean weld when I do my part and prep the metal properly.
    Last edited by FyreTex; 07-29-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Learning to weld, one arc at a time.

Yes you can bevel and multi pass with a 120v machine.
    old Miller spectrum 625

Quote Originally Posted by Ezreub View Post
    Hi, I'm pretty new to welding but my kids are determined to build a go-kart so I bought a used Lincoln Electric Pro-mig 135. I've been practicing with both flux core and gas. The go-kart we plan to use will be made of some 1" 11 gauge steel. Thanks for your help. Andrew
    So where are the pictures/thread of the go-kart build? Have you started building it yet or are you still practicing welding first?

I still have the original fill on my gas bottle I purchased when I first bought my HH-135. It's on the new HH-190 now, and still just about 90% full Probably been on one welder, or the other, for about 15yrs.

Which is to say...……..I almost exclusively run self shielding flux core, and did with both welders. The little one handled it fine, and did a nice job on 11ga (what I originally bought a wire machine for)

Flux core runs nice if you clean the metal, otherwise you'll get porosity that will drive you nuts.

On 11ga I used to run the 135amp welder on the highest tap, and keep the wire speed turned down. Around 20 on a scale of 100 (they don't show IPM on most of these little machines). On the bigger machine I run the wire at about 35 on #3 tap for 11ga. They all run different, just find what works.

Remember to weld uphill, don't weld downhill with flux core.