Couple of questions for those that have welded on large projects (Infrastructure)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Couple of questions for those that have welded on large projects (Infrastructure)

For those of you that have welded on big projects.

1) Is it pretty common that other welders will take/use your leads while you are away?

2) How often do leads become detached?

3) How often do leads arc out and cause damage?

Thanks for your responses.

Re: Couple of questions for those that have welded on large projects (Infrastructure)

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_oak View Post
    1) Is it pretty common that other welders will take/use your leads while you are away?
    Do you mean if you’re not working that day? Or just went to the outhouse?
    On big jobs it’s easier to add leads, than get your welder moved.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Re: Couple of questions for those that have welded on large projects (Infrastructure)

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Do you mean if you’re not working that day? Or just went to the outhouse?
    On big jobs it’s easier to add leads, than get your welder moved.

I've heard its time consuming in that when you return from an extended break, someone has taken your lead.

I've heard its time consuming in that when you return from an extended break, someone has taken your lead.
    Anything is possible . If there is a lot of work going on in a small area and there are not enough electrical outlets and or welders it can and does happen. The company you work for must have a plan and impliment it ahead of time. If your company shows up at the last minute and expects to use all power and welding outlets in an area where there are several contractors working his guys will be SOL. I have run jobs that we had to run welding leads from 3 floors below us to have what we needed. There are ussually meeting before the jobs start where contractors coordinate with each other so there are no surprises once the job starts. I have had jobs where we brought in propane powered welders to use for our power and welding because there was not enough infrastructure available for the amount of work being done.

Thank you for the response Gary. You answered my first question.

When you are in a situation where you are running leads up multiple floors, have you ever had a problem with the leads detaching?

The way I look at it, the leads belong to the company. And are used where they are needed.
    In my line of work, we always used engine drive welders. Like I said before adding leads is sometimes easier than getting the welder moved.
    Couple small welding jobs I was on.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I did high rises in Chicago and it's pretty common to have 1,000 feet of cable ane four machines.
    The refineriers on shutdowns will have dozens of engine drives lined up and colored / marked cable on machines. 5,000 feet of cable is nothing. It depends on Jobsites and conditions

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I did high rises in Chicago and it's pretty common to have 1,000 feet of cable ane four machines.
    The refineriers on shutdowns will have dozens of engine drives lined up and colored / marked cable on machines. 5,000 feet of cable is nothing. It depends on Jobsites and conditions
    WoW...

what if you are 5 stories up and want 10-20 more amps?
    and what kind of amp loss do you get with that kind of run?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    WoW...

what if you are 5 stories up and want 10-20 more amps?
    and what kind of amp loss do you get with that kind of run?
    if it was an engine drive i would ask the engineer to bump the current up or down. on a couple jobs i never laid eyes on the welding machine. on other jobs the machines were in banks of 6 or so and electric powered;i adjusted those machines myself. if there were too many leads we color coded them. all leads had tweeco type connectors and i don't recall one ever coming loose.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Thank you for the response Gary. You answered my first question.

When you are in a situation where you are running leads up multiple floors, have you ever had a problem with the leads detaching?
    If another outfit took one of our welders to use without permission we would just take it away from them. The problem comes in when your own me have to steel equipment from each other in order to get their jobs done. That is just poor planning on the part of your supervision but it happens more than you would think. Also on jobs with multiple contractors you must be very pro active to protect your personal tools. One cardinal rule is you never and I mean never lend a tool to anther company employee weather it is your personal tool or a contractors tool. If your boss lends them something that is up to him and he will have to take resposability for it.
    As far as shorts or grounding of leads run long distances. We had few if any problems. There again is planning. WE would not use any leads that were not in good shape. If need be we would tape quick connects to make sure they gave us no problems. We always had cables that were painted the companies colors so we would know what cables were ours. Most companies do not allow cords or welding leads on the floor, we would have to hang them from above so there were no trip hazards .
    Last edited by thegary; 07-10-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Most large jobs that we had a lot of work going on in a short time frame . Like a power plant outage or a papermill outage I always had the foreman in about 1 week ahead of time and they would all work together to get everything in place and ready. Then when the job started they would each get their oun crew and go do their individual jobs. This was a big help because they all would know where the other jobs were and what tools each had. If we were short handed on a paticular tool they made a plan ahead of time to make sure men were not waiting for that tool.

The last big project I was on, I was there for 14 months. The company we were working for had a 6 billion contract. Structural steel, piping, civil, electrical and instrumentation. All us welders got a job box on our first day. We had a stinger and a ground clamp in the box. Along with an angle grinder, die grinder, 2 foot square, 12"'square, ball peen hammer, chisel, tape measure, combination square, 2 foot level, 10" level, chipping hammer, 3way electrical splitter, kunny bag to carry tools, shade 10 welding shield etc.. Everything you needed to do your job.
    Most of the welders were big diesels machines. Most had cable racks with leads on them. If you needed more lead, the welding crib had it. That's the place where you received your rod oven with rod and wire you needed for the day each morning.
    Leads were mostly wrapped back on the welders at the end of each day. I always took my stinger and ground clamp with me and put them back into my job box and locked them up.
    If something needed repair, it was taken back to the welding crib and replaced. The crib attendant did the repair work when he had the time. The pipe fitters welders usually took care of the rod shack (welding tool crib). The Ironworkers usually looked after the rigging crib.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720