bought 12" diacro finger brake... did i screw up?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

bought 12" diacro finger brake... did i screw up?

so i just bought this vintage Di-acro brake on ebay for $300 plus shipping

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  98.2 KBName:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 532
Size:  81.1 KBName:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 535
Size:  98.4 KBName:  s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views: 531
Size:  122.5 KBName:  s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views: 529
Size:  118.0 KB

it says finger brake in title... but it looks like it has one big solid clamping thingy...

seller says no returns and comes as pictured... does it look to be missing any parts, in one of the pictures theres empty screw holes in the single giant "finger" with no bolts in them...

i know these old machines are usually rusty but is this decent? how does one clean these? careful use of angle grinder and spray paint?

people say Di-acro brakes are amazing magical brakes... and last a lifetime... is this model included in that assessment? will this handle 16 guage steel or at least 18 guage steel? easily??? or requiring the incredible hulk and his brother.... or somewhere in between....

ultimately did i make a mistake??? did I basically spent my money on an empty brand name? or at least the one bad item in a good brand name... should i have held out for something better?
    Last edited by trader_joe; 07-10-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Re: bought 12" diacro finger brake... did i screw up?

I think you should have asked before buying it to get the best advice. However, that thing looks solid from here. I know nothing about breaks but here are some ideas:

- Capacity of the break might be stated in the machine tag shown in one of the pictures. At the very least you would be able to read the model name and go from there (google)
    - Finger break. I have never used one, but if there is only one blade... then it is no finger break by any means!
    - Cleaning. Angle grinder... well... with wire brush only! then some kind of solvent to remove grease and repaint. Make sure to mask matching surfaces, otherwise you might not be able to assemble as required.

Before you do anything, I would try to use it as is for a while. Don't mess with it unless it is not working.

Mikel

Looks good, and I wouldn't be too quick to think you got the raw end of the deal.

It might be a finger brake that the user replaced the fingers on. If they didn't need the adjustability because of what they were making, putting a single "finger" on the thing would be sensible. All it takes is for one finger to get chipped, lost or out of alignment to get someone thinking about using a one-piece design if it fits with the kind of work they're involved in.

Check the model number with the manufacturer's website to see what they say.

Cleaning? A good clean and restoration would involve taking the thing completely apart. I don't see that it needs it unless there's something jammed.

If you want to just get all the grease and grime off it, take it to a car wash and hit it with the soap and high-pressure wash. Then give it a nice oil and put her to work.

In the fourth pic it looks as if the clamp leaf (“finger”)
    doesn’t extend close enough to the edge to make a crisp
    bend. Maybe I’m not seeing it correctly. I also wonder
    about those empty tapped holes. Have you tried it yet?
    Does it clamp and bend properly? Diarco brakes and
    hand benders are well made,heavy duty machines.
    Even older ones bring big money.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

From the pictures, it appears to be a single finger break. The 2 nuts on the sides get loosened so the unite slides forward to adjust for thickness. It looks to be all the way back.

The holes in the finger are very clean where the whole thing is old so that throws me off. Maybe someone turned it into a finger break?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

It looks like the fingers are missing if I compare it to other ones on ebay. Depending on what you plan to bend, you might be able to make the missing parts if you are so equipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-di-acro-...8AAOSwBU1aiKA~
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-DiAcro-F...sAAOSwaB5XllrK
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...brake&_sacat=0
    ---Meltedmetal

that looks more like a box and pan brake rather than a finger brake.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    that looks more like a box and pan brake rather than a finger brake.
    Aren't those the same thing but finger brake is a slang term??

also is it possible its just missing the fingers alltogether and that long wedge thing is just what the fingers are bolted onto?? it looks like an "apron" is that basically a long finger?

its also possible model "No. 2" is just a regular non finger brake but i couldnt find any info on the model number

here are some more pictures

Name:  s-l1600 (7).jpg
Views: 392
Size:  104.0 KBName:  s-l64(1).jpg
Views: 389
Size:  1.4 KB
    Name:  s-l1600 (7).jpg
Views: 392
Size:  104.0 KB
    Name:  s-l1600 (9).jpg
Views: 382
Size:  88.8 KBName:  s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views: 382
Size:  116.0 KB

also found a pdf on the vintage Diacro brakes... but it seems kinda hit or miss

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/4049/17391.pdf
    Last edited by trader_joe; 07-11-2018 at 01:37 PM.

I would have thought that if the "single finger" was used to bend anything substantial the finger should have filled the space up to the gray painted horizontal bar with the 2 larger allen cap screws holding it. It looks like the "finger is not well as supported as the individual fingers on others on ebay seem to be. Could the threaded holes be to turn that plate around for some reason?
    ---Meltedmetal

turns out the row of screws accross the top... with the two long tracks to slide them around... are what hold the missing fingers... the long wedge thing seems to just be the normal platform to put the workpiece... fingers cost around $100 each and i doubt ill even find any... soooo yeah looks like im canceling

its visible from the first page of this pdf... the fingers extend out from under the swooping up triangular thing... also seen in the pictures above... and bolts from above through the holes.... i think the empty threaded holes in the piece that we thought was a clamp... (but should actually be hidden by the missing fingers) are for changing out the tables
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/4049/17391.pdf

messaged seller... he REALLY does not know about these things.... cant tell me anything to save his life... only pictures... gave me a quote for shipping which is $180 from Cali to NY.... i think not

What is your intent with this thing ? Lowbuck Mike has a 6" that I use all the time for little brackets and crap.It's plenty tough.
    If you need a real finger brake you gotta get out the wallet ! SWAG is an option.I have a SWAG 40 for heavy stuff($1000 finished) and a 1240 Jet (about $3K)

https://lowbucktools.com/products/lowbuck-plate-brake

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Didn't you say you'd already bought it??

From what you're saying now, it appears maybe not..........Yeah, I'm confused.....
    i didnt pay yet, plus seller had to send me a shipping quote... which took a day for him to calculate..

Quote Originally Posted by trader_joe View Post
    i didnt pay yet, plus seller had to send me a shipping quote... which took a day for him to calculate..
    When you bid and won, you agreed to the terms of the auction.

The fact you didn't ask these questions of the seller before bidding but are now asking after winning and using them as an excuse to not pay, cancel, etc is chicken$hit in my mind. Folks that act like this shouldn't be allowed to buy on Ebay.

I can't understand why you would jump in and bid on something you aren't sure about, taking an opportunity away from another bidder that may have wanted it instead when they would have followed through with the transaction??????

yup im a real #&%*

also that was before i found out shipping was $180

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    When you bid and won, you agreed to the terms of the auction.

The fact you didn't ask these questions of the seller before bidding but are now asking after winning and using them as an excuse to not pay, cancel, etc is chicken$hit in my mind. Folks that act like this shouldn't be allowed to buy on Ebay.

I can't understand why you would jump in and bid on something you aren't sure about, taking an opportunity away from another bidder that may have wanted it instead when they would have followed through with the transaction??????
    I sell on ebay, if a bidder cancels out I can offer it to the next up bidder, seller in this case should have had shipping quote avail before bid was placed with a zip code to inform buyer, I do it all the time for people when they ask about shipping...I have had a few people cancel out on bids..thats business...

That's why I bid on NOTHING on FleaBay .....To many "casual" bidders.....Really have no use for, don't know exactly what they're bidding on and drive up the price.....Till it's time to pony up $$$$$$.... Rule should be ; B.S. Excuse for not paying/ going thru with transaction ...... Seller has right to come throw the item thru your picture window....

Quote Originally Posted by trader_joe View Post
    also that was before i found out shipping was $180
    Thats your own fault for not inquiring before bidding and finalizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.