I have a welder...
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a welder...

Yeah - that is a stupid title. However, that is what I was told last evening.

I was asked to stop by a long time client's new house. They are building a new home in their own subdivision and want me to build signs for both ends of the road. I have built loads of gates, fence and art for this client in the past.

I was slightly surprised when the client's contractor came and sat at the table with us, but okay. They showed me the design drawing and the contractor immediately said, "I have a welder and will be building the frame."

Okay - I have a claw hammer, but I'm not a home builder...I didn't say - which is first for me.

I get the sign work, but not the frame. It is a fairly simple job and I will make a little scratch. Just thought you all would get a chuckle from a knuckle-headed comment.

JL

Re: I have a welder...

you should have put in the contract if the frame isnt up to proper quality you can deny putting on the sign and any costs associated with it you will be compensated, you would be liable for the frame once you do any work on it, since you are a professional in what you do you have superior knowledge of whats done right or not...

Give the welder guy sign dimensions in MM. That will screw him up.

Do the signs, get your money, then give them to the contractor and let them install them.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Do the signs, get your money, then give them to the contractor and let them install them.
    This.

This x 2 or let him do it all,he has a welder

ahhh if we could magnetize negatively steel and let them have ''fun''

He may be building the frame but you will be fixing the frame!
    You should really have a discussion with the client without the contractor present and express your concerns.

I have built loads of gates, fence and art for this client in the past.
    Obviously a satisfied customer. I would just do what the customer asks for. If he wants the builder to do the frame, so be it. Maybe you'll get some future sign business from the builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Y View Post
    Yeah - that is a stupid title. However, that is what I was told last evening.

I was asked to stop by a long time client's new house. They are building a new home in their own subdivision and want me to build signs for both ends of the road. I have built loads of gates, fence and art for this client in the past.

I was slightly surprised when the client's contractor came and sat at the table with us, but okay. They showed me the design drawing and the contractor immediately said, "I have a welder and will be building the frame."

Okay - I have a claw hammer, but I'm not a home builder...I didn't say - which is first for me.

I get the sign work, but not the frame. It is a fairly simple job and I will make a little scratch. Just thought you all would get a chuckle from a knuckle-headed comment.

JL
    I'm an electrician more than I am a welder. I often get people telling me their qualification to do what they are hiring me to do. I offer them a free screwdriver. I explain that, (based on what they are telling me) they don't need an electrician, they need a screwdriver. I'll take the week off.

In sixth grade science class we all learned to use a battery, and paper clip to light a bulb. 99.9% of males, and 10% of females believe that is all they need to know.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Build the signs and call the contractor when they're ready for him to pick up. Probably told the owner he could save him $20 if he used his guy. I wouldn't take it personal. Not much suprises me anymore with people. Especially homeowners and home builders.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

[QUOTE=Willie B;8628486]In sixth grade science class we all learned to use a battery, and paper clip to light a bulb.

Dang, wish I'd known that about 60 years ago.

I'd walk away, tell the contractor he's more qualified then you.

Anyone think that the guy may actually be qualified to build the frame? There are many members on here that aren’t professional welders and do some other line of work for a living that are more than capable of building a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
    Anyone think that the guy may actually be qualified to build the frame? There are many members on here that aren’t professional welders and do some other line of work for a living that are more than capable of building a frame.
    It doesn't matter if anyone THINKs the contractor might be capable. What matters to the OP is weather he KNOWS the contractor is capable. Otherwise this could cost the OP a lot of time and money to correct the contractor's mistakes. Frankly if I didn't KNOW that the contractor could do the job properly, I would probably have refused to take the other 1/2 of the job. A 1/2 job wouldn't pay enough to compensate for the headaches to complete the job and possible damage to my reputation from botched work that someone else did.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    It doesn't matter if anyone THINKs the contractor might be capable. What matters to the OP is weather he KNOWS the contractor is capable. Otherwise this could cost the OP a lot of time and money to correct the contractor's mistakes. Frankly if I didn't KNOW that the contractor could do the job properly, I would probably have refused to take the other 1/2 of the job. A 1/2 job wouldn't pay enough to compensate for the headaches to complete the job and possible damage to my reputation from botched work that someone else did.
    That is not the way the original post read. The way it reads is the OP assumes that the contractor is an idiot because he said he has a welder(which he very well may be). He did not state he was concerned that he would be losing time or making extra for himself. As far 'knowing" if the contractor can do the job, you don't and it really isn't any of your concern, it is the clients concern. On the flip side how does the contractor "know" if the OP can do his job on the sign? OP could have set his terms with the client and walked away if he didn't like what they wanted to do but that is not what this thread was started about. It was started because he just assumes this guy is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
    It was started because he just assumes this guy is an idiot.
    I'm a high school dropout. Retired now, having worked my whole life on the farm and there's two things I've learned:

1. Never assume anything
    2. But when I DO I'm rarely surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

My 2 cents...I run an entirely different business for my day job... been doing it for 30 years now... When I am met with customers that "knows everything".. want to "help" you with the project... I flat out say, "find someone else". My time in learning my trade, many work days at 15 - 18 hours "paying my dues"... years upon years of experience and knowledge... I take their offer as an insult to my hard work and dedication to my skills. They all think that it is so very easy to do "your job" with a fraction of the time spent learning your trade. Never, ever undersell yourself or the hard work put in to get to your level of expertise! ... Sometimes you make more money by just saying "No" to a job that will more than likely come back to bite you in the a$$... I've seem it happen many times over the years to myself and others.
    Have a great evening!
    Kell

Maybe he meant he has someone on the payroll that it is his job to do all of the steel work for the homes.

Quote Originally Posted by theweldor View Post
    Maybe he meant he has someone on the payroll that it is his job to do all of the steel work for the homes.
    Yes. He COULD have meant weldor/welder as opposed to a welding MACHINE.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

I like the idea of taking the sign job, and telling the client that if the product that the contractor doesn't adhere to your own standards, that the signs will not be provided.

Stipluate that in the contract.

Can't tell you how many times I've had customers try this general contracting thing, and want me to be only a part of it, subject to the others that are involved. I tell the customer that Its my intent to ensure they get the highest quality results, and if I didn't like what I saw regarding the other contractors work, I was not participating in the project.

So far, that approach has worked best for me.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Flip side is the contractor may be handling permits and zoning restrictions on a sign and would rather have control over some aspects of the install including exact placement, foundation, setback, height, etc.

I've done projects where parts were subbed to "artsy" types with special talents to create part of it, but actual mounting of the piece was engineered and done by certified weldors and equipment that was beyond the resources of the sculptor.

Clearly the OP was upset that he was being brought in as part of a larger job instead of being the whole show. But for whatever reason that is how the people with the money want it done this time. Maybe if he impresses the contractor he'll get work from him down the road?

^^^^^^finally, common sense...make the signs get paid correctly and have them do what the want with the rest of the contract, your part ends there.

I didn't find the comment knuckle headed at all. He's a general contractor and has a guy who is a welder (man and/or machine) to do his general work but doesn't have the talent or desire to build signs. Build the signs, deliver them to your client, get paid, and forget about it.

Re: I have a welder... I'm new here gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by kjemison1966 View Post
    My 2 cents...I run an entirely different business for my day job... been doing it for 30 years now... When I am met with customers that "knows everything".. want to "help" you with the project... I flat out say, "find someone else". My time in learning my trade, many work days at 15 - 18 hours "paying my dues"... years upon years of experience and knowledge... I take their offer as an insult to my hard work and dedication to my skills. They all think that it is so very easy to do "your job" with a fraction of the time spent learning your trade. Never, ever undersell yourself or the hard work put in to get to your level of expertise! ... Sometimes you make more money by just saying "No" to a job that will more than likely come back to bite you in the a$$... I've seem it happen many times over the years to myself and others.
    Have a great evening!
    Kell
    I'm new to here, but not to the feelings of self worth, pride, incredible craftsmanship. It only took me 40ys to learn to say NO!