I have a welder... - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: I have a welder...

Walk away. Politely tell the client you cant control tolerance's , warpage , fit up, quality etc of the contractors work and it may and probly will interfere with your end. Dont burn the bridge just explain why its a bad idea. Your explanation of owning a claw hammer is good if your comfortable with the client but may sound smarta$$ to the contractor.

The client is familiar with your work and may realize he needs your quality for welding and the contractor for claw hammers.

What kind of welder does the contractor have? At best I assume LINCOLN buzzbox. Likely he has a Harborfreight AC flux core.

A lot of good advice has been given, but most have been based on ASSUMPTIONS . Only the OP knows for certain the exact scenario and I’m sure he’ll do what’s best.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    A lot of good advice has been given, but most have been based on ASSUMPTIONS . Only the OP knows for certain the exact scenario and I’m sure he’ll do what’s best.
    Bingo!!! The OP hasn't been back since his first post and there has been a lot of jumping to unsupported conclusions here.

Lance

The OP hasn't been back, but has been reading the posts. Lots of assumptions and advice - which is appreciated. I have been off measuring for a railing job and in the process of finishing an interior project. Added in some family reunion time as well.

I am confident the contractor means he physically has a welding machine - no clue of the type/brand or his ability to operate one. I just chuckled as to the man's dismissive nature. However, he is trying to make a buck.... which I am sure we all identify with.

I will build the signs and drop them off. If the framework fails, I am sure I will get a call to fix it and that pays pretty well!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Y View Post
    The OP hasn't been back, but has been reading the posts. Lots of assumptions and advice - which is appreciated. I have been off measuring for a railing job and in the process of finishing an interior project. Added in some family reunion time as well.

I am confident the contractor means he physically has a welding machine - no clue of the type/brand or his ability to operate one. I just chuckled as to the man's dismissive nature. However, he is trying to make a buck.... which I am sure we all identify with.

I will build the signs and drop them off. If the framework fails, I am sure I will get a call to fix it and that pays pretty well!
    I like your attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    I like your attitude!
    Me too! The OP has MY respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

deleted
    Last edited by JD1; 07-20-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Y View Post

If the framing fails, its YOUR fault, as you just made the signs too heavy!!

Lol
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Never mind, I have to refrain from posting about subjects I have no experience with even though my title says I am a Master Welder lol.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-21-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Heck, when you drop off the signs maybe you should bring a nail gun and tell him you'll hang them......

Lance

worked for a sign company and we were working for a large dept store in the north east ,they were going through a period of expansion back then and we were running from Rode Island to north Jersey ,with Ct ,Mass, and NYS in the mix we had a lot of work done by out side contractors .We built the signs for the pylons and building fronts .Companies like Art Craft and others did the pylon work installing our panels . never had a problem . And they were a trip to work with them guys used to fly the bosun seats from two cranes and swing back and fourth from one crane to the other as they worked .
    Last edited by gxbxc; 07-21-2018 at 07:28 PM.

" I will build the signs and drop them off. If the framework fails, I am sure I will get a call to fix it and that pays pretty well! "

Most people, when properly explained the expectations UP FRONT, will have no problem paying to have someone's mistakes corrected by the more professional of the two. Eating crow may be a different problem all together.
    *****It'll feel better when it quits hurting!*****

All done - my portion at least. I will deliver these this afternoon.

Name:  Southview Sanctuary Estates.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  87.6 KBName:  Southview Sanctuary Estates S Hooks.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  60.8 KBName:  Southview Sanctuary Estates S Hooks and Rings.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  66.9 KB

Nice!!!

Wow...came out nice.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

In 1967 my father in law sold 90 acres the Otter Creek flows through to the State of Vermont. They call it Nielsen Stream Bank. The signs they use are of fine quality, but the process of hanging them look to be the work of a six year old kid. Storms knock them down, or they get stolen. They just hung a new one. I feel I should upgrade the mounting.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.