Surface grinder question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Surface grinder question

Does anyone here run a surface grinder?

I always wonder how does it grind a smooth surface while wearing itself down?

If I asked this question before, excuse me please.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275,Undercart cooler,Foot/Finger Amptrollers
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v
    Lincoln SP-200 MIG and Hi-Freq Tig
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101

Re: Surface grinder question

funny you should ask that, out today is .......

HaHa, I just watched this video today too.
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

I used to run one some, they use a finer wheel of special compound often with coolant such as soluble oil.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    funny you should ask that, out today is .......

Perfect timing!
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275,Undercart cooler,Foot/Finger Amptrollers
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v
    Lincoln SP-200 MIG and Hi-Freq Tig
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101

Workplace is usually machined to within a few thousandths of an inch
    and then ground to final size. Wheel wear is kept to a minimum by not
    trying to remove larger amounts of material. Wheel should still be dressed
    (Diamond tool) before,and sometimes during use. On trickier work, like
    grinding to a step, side of wheel has to be relieved and corner dressed
    repeatedly (with a diamond) so that edge of step will be @ 90 degrees..
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
    Does anyone here run a surface grinder?

I always wonder how does it grind a smooth surface while wearing itself down?

If I asked this question before, excuse me please.
    wheel wear rate is slow. in general depth of grind is .001 to .002 per pass roughing and final passes are often .0001 to .0005. spark out of when you rerun a pass till it stops making sparks or reduced to less than 1% of normal sparks. cause of deflection when pass is so light then often surface is within .0001"
    this is similar to a mill or lathe. heavy roughing there are deflection issues and very light finish passes this is minimized

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    wheel wear rate is slow.
    This depends on many factors.....

Some steel alloys are incredibly wear resistant and require a coarse wheel with a bonding that breaks down quickly so as to continually expose sharp new abrasive material and limit heat input. In this case, wheel wear is high, sometimes high enough to generate a taper across the part. If the wrong wheel(too hard) is used for rough grinding, it will "burn" the material and input so much heat to the workpiece that maintaining precision dimensions is impossible. Once the workpiece is very close to finished dimensions, a switch is usually made to a finer wheel with a slightly harder bond. Ideally, some form of coolant(liquid, mist, or cold air) would also be used to limit heat input.

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

I have a good size surface grinder, 20X60, my grinder has a random pattern feed that moves the wheel in a cross pattern. In other words it doesn't move in the X axis and then reposition, the amount of cross travel rate to feed is also adjustable.
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

All good answers. The better question will come later after you have a surface grinder... you'll wonder how in the world you got by all those years without one. I can't imagine not having one.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    All good answers. The better question will come later after you have a surface grinder... you'll wonder how in the world you got by all those years without one. I can't imagine not having one.
    I have used one many times on job sites. I have often contemplated buying one. My problem is I am too picky. I want one that is all automatic. I see manual ones on craigslist for $300-$500 all the time but just can't see myself sitting there cranking the handles. I primarily want one for sharpening planer blades and chipper knives.
    As you say , they are very handy to have.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I have often contemplated buying one. My problem is I am too picky. I want one that is all automatic.
    Mine is automatic and I definitely agree. That said my automatic lacks a few features generally seen on manual grinders like a table lock and stops. I have to get creative when I need to use my whirlygig. One of these days I'll modify the machine to suit my taste. I also wish I had an over wheel dress.

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    This depends on many factors.....

Some steel alloys are incredibly wear resistant and require a coarse wheel with a bonding that breaks down quickly so as to continually expose sharp new abrasive material and limit heat input. In this case, wheel wear is high, sometimes high enough to generate a taper across the part. If the wrong wheel(too hard) is used for rough grinding, it will "burn" the material and input so much heat to the workpiece that maintaining precision dimensions is impossible. Once the workpiece is very close to finished dimensions, a switch is usually made to a finer wheel with a slightly harder bond. Ideally, some form of coolant(liquid, mist, or cold air) would also be used to limit heat input.
    never had problems grinding. of coarse if grinding tungsten carbide you dont go far without a wheel made for the material.
    my point is you can rough grind where tolerances are looser to remove bulk of material and then you finish grind taking lighter cuts so you dont get taper. as for finish it often depends on what finish you want. there are times you do not always want a mirror finish. vast majority of times a medium grit wheel is used and its good enough for rough and finish grinding.
    sure on a blanchard grinder wheel is usually very coarse and often .100 to .300" is ground off. often odd shaped parts its easier to hold to magnetic vise and large face grinding wheel can take .001" in a few seconds so removing .100" goes fast. blanchard grind if part .0002 or even .0005" off its not a problem usually
    my experience taper is not a problem but when a magnetic vise is released a part can curl or warp to its unrestrained shape. removing warpage can be time consuming. usually i use starrett feeler gage stock. you have to support part to its unstrained shape so magnetic vise when turned on dont flatten it out