Esab Rebel Em 215C Vs Hobart 210 MVP
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Esab Rebel Em 215C Vs Hobart 210 MVP

I searched about this comparison and couldn't find it, most of them compared the ESAB EM 215C to MM211.

I'm a beginner and have only been using cheap 90amp HF welder for the past 4-5 years. Will work on mostly thin less than 3/16" sheet metal (subframe, suspension parts, and home projects).

With the rebate that is going on, the ESAB is about $850 shipped which is a super deal imo. I was going to get Hobart 210 MVP but at this price range I can't overlook the ESAB 215C. I wonder how it compares with the tried and true Hobart 210MVP in term of build quality, reliability, finding spare parts/consumables, and after sale value. SMIG feature on ESAB is probably the one thing that gives the ESAB an edge over Hobart MVP (or even MM211). This looks like a super power for a noob like me and provides more options for advance user.

I've watched review/comparison of this EM 215C at You Tube and the EM sounds so much crisper, softer, and more easy to use with the SMIG capability over other brands. I'm so tempted about the ESAB for this SMIG capability but also afraid if they will break more than conventional tried and true Hobart 210MVP.

Help me to decide.

Thanks
    Last edited by Genes1s; 08-06-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Re: Esab Rebel Em 215C Vs Hobart 210 MVP

The transformer based design of the 210MVP is, historically, a more robust setup than an inverter like the ESAB Rebel EM 215ic. So the 210MVP is possibly a bit less likely to have a catastrophic failure. But any electro-mechanical device can fail, so it's not like one is definitely going to have more problems than the other.

I've never personally used the 210MVP, but I own and really like the EM 215ic. It's been a good machine so far, though I don't put a ton of use on it. I've built some things with it and it's been great.

I am not sure the MIG only unit is worth it. If it had settings for inductance, trim, run in etc. like the other Esab Rebel units, then that would be the way to go all day. But from what I have read the MIG only unit doesn't have those features.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I am not sure the MIG only unit is worth it. If it had settings for inductance, trim, run in etc. like the other Esab Rebel units, then that would be the way to go all day. But from what I have read the MIG only unit doesn't have those features.
    True, it doesn't have those features (or, technically, they are pre-set based on the S-MIG mode setting). But, at a similar price to the 210MVP it does add synergic mode (s-MIG), infinite voltage adjustment, digital amperage and voltage displays, better duty cycle and much lighter weight. So, compared to the other Rebels it has fewer features, but compared to the 210MVP it has far more features.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    True, it doesn't have those features (or, technically, they are pre-set based on the S-MIG mode setting). But, at a similar price to the 210MVP it does add synergic mode (s-MIG), infinite voltage adjustment, digital amperage and voltage displays, better duty cycle and much lighter weight. So, compared to the other Rebels it has fewer features, but compared to the 210MVP it has far more features.
    This is basically what makes me leaning toward the ESAB than the Hobart.

What is up, if any concern, with the Fusion 180 gun on it that some were complaining or have concerns about.

How would you compare this to a Vulcan MigMax 215 in term of performance and build quality. It’s a couple hundred dollars more than the Vulcan but then you have better warranty.

Thanks

IMO the Vulcan is not going to take the abuse that the 210MP or Rebel will tolerate.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post
    This is basically what makes me leaning toward the ESAB than the Hobart.

What is up, if any concern, with the Fusion 180 gun on it that some were complaining or have concerns about.

How would you compare this to a Vulcan MigMax 215 in term of performance and build quality. It’s a couple hundred dollars more than the Vulcan but then you have better warranty.

Thanks
    The fusion gun has unique consumables that may or may not be as easy for you to get locally as something more common. One of my local shops carries them, but the other does not. It's also just not the best gun around. That's common with included MIG guns in general though. It's also not bad, in my opinion. Works fine. It's a bit more of a pain to clean spatter/build-up out of the nozzle than with some other designs.

I reviewed both the MIXMAX 215 and the EM 215ic. The build quality and fit/finish of the ESAB is definitely better than the Vulcan. The price of the Vulcan welders has ben creeping up lately as well, so with the current sale pricing I've seen people quote for the EM 215ic, it's a no brainer over the Vulcan for me personally.
    Last edited by BigTB; 08-07-2018 at 02:10 AM.

OP go put your hands on all the machines you are thinking about buying and get a feel for them in person. Once you do that you will understand what sets them apart with regards to build quality. It's hard to put build quality into words so that it don't sound like a commercial. Go see for your self what sets each machine apart from each other. I have no problems with the fusion 180 mig gun other than it's a little short at 12' and has a limited duty cycle. I upgraded to a Fusion 250 15' gun with medium duty Velocity consumables which is way better IMO over the standard fusion 180 gun and consumables. I keep the 180 for smaller .023 wire
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Even though the EM is basic compared to the EMP/EMS, I'd still go with it over the Hobart, because the synergic mode is still there and the hardware is still the same. They look like really nice units to use.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    OP go put your hands on all the machines you are thinking about buying and get a feel for them in person. Once you do that you will understand what sets them apart with regards to build quality. It's hard to put build quality into words so that it don't sound like a commercial. Go see for your self what sets each machine apart from each other. I have no problems with the fusion 180 mig gun other than it's a little short at 12' and has a limited duty cycle. I upgraded to a Fusion 250 15' gun with medium duty Velocity consumables which is way better IMO over the standard fusion 180 gun and consumables. I keep the 180 for smaller .023 wire
    I've seen and used the Vulcan, but never seen and tried ESAB first hand. I thought the Vulcan was good quality built but then I was comparing it to my old 90A Chicago Flux Core. I might just do go to local rep for ESAB and ask if they can demo it for me.

I think either Hobart or ESAB would be a massive upgrade for me and probably is still more than enough for me.
    Last edited by Genes1s; 08-07-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Do you like video games or rather do horse shoes, darts, ping pong ,pool ?
    If the latter, buy the welder
    The Hobart. Strong, simple, reliable

I'd buy the HF Vulcan. 1 year return policy. No questions asked.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

So far I haven't been able to find any ESAB 215 in my area. I went to about 6 stores and they either don't have it or can special order it for me. Airgas used to sell ESAB brand but not anymore. Everyone in here is carrying Miller or Lincoln.

Call an esab regional sales rep and have them demo one local to you.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post
    So far I haven't been able to find any ESAB 215 in my area. I went to about 6 stores and they either don't have it or can special order it for me. Airgas used to sell ESAB brand but not anymore. Everyone in here is carrying Miller or Lincoln.
    Where about are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    Where about are you located?
    Portland, OR or Vancouver, WA

Thanks for the input, I ended up with Millermatic 211.