Weld the entire joint or space beads apart
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Weld the entire joint or space beads apart

Hello everyone, I'm working on a project making a huge smoker, nearly 7' tall, 4' wide, with a depth of 30". I'm using 1 1/2" square tubing with 1/8" wall. The frame, racks and trays are completed and ready to move on to the back, sides and front which will have 4 doors. I'll be using 1/8 sheets of mild steel and originally planned to place a few tacks and then weld the entire piece from top to bottom. However, more and more thinking about, wouldn't be better to weld 5 to 6 beads approximately 4" long from the inside of the frame. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Weld the entire joint or space beads apart

Quote Originally Posted by Mbarefoot View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm working on a project making a huge smoker, nearly 7' tall, 4' wide, with a depth of 30". I'm using 1 1/2" square tubing with 1/8" wall. The frame, racks and trays are completed and ready to move on to the back, sides and front which will have 4 doors. I'll be using 1/8 sheets of mild steel and originally planned to place a few tacks and then weld the entire piece from top to bottom. However, more and more thinking about, wouldn't be better to weld 5 to 6 beads approximately 4" long from the inside of the frame. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    There would be no point in a complete weld-out. It's frigging smoker. You could have saved a lot of dough by building the frame and pop-riveting or screwing just about anything on to it for enclosure. You're not making a gun safe.

Re: Weld the entire joint or space beads apart

Weld one inch, skip three-4

________ ..........'....................................... ........ ________