Chug chug chug goes the Pro mig 180
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Chug chug chug goes the Pro mig 180

Hi there:
    I am using Lincoln Electric Innershield flux core wire, .035 with my Pro mig 180
    and when laying a bead the wire is chugging. It's not bouncing like the wire speed is to high but will just chug. You can hear it and see the wire bouncing but not like the wire feed is to high. Any suggestions to correct this problem? I don't hear the bacon frying sound but I hear chug, chug chug. TIA.

Re: Chug chug chug goes the Pro mig 180

How's the drive roll tension?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Are you using the knurled drive roller?
    Try changing tips. Sometimes they bind up if the wire burns back too far.

Check your wire liner sounds like it dirty
    All you need to do is clean your wire liner

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Hi there:
    I am using Lincoln Electric Innershield flux core wire, .035 with my Pro mig 180
    and when laying a bead the wire is chugging. It's not bouncing like the wire speed is to high but will just chug. You can hear it and see the wire bouncing but not like the wire feed is to high. Any suggestions to correct this problem? I don't hear the bacon frying sound but I hear chug, chug chug. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    It checks to be alright but I will check it again. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Check your wire liner sounds like it dirty
    All you need to do is clean your wire liner

Dave
    I will have a friend blow it out tomorrow when I see him. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Are you using the knurled drive roller?
    Try changing tips. Sometimes they bind up if the wire burns back too far.
    I don't think the Knurled drive roller is being used. Not sure if
    I have one or not. I will check. Thanks.

I saw a youtube video of a fella from Lincoln electric say that the stick out of that wire should be 1/2" to 5/8" but when I have it less than that (maybe 5/16" to 3/8") it wont chug. Wont that short of a stick out hurt anything?

Innershield will run on rust. But it will be erratic, as you're seeing maybe.

I occasionally have the pulsing problem you describe. Flap wheel to shiny metal usually helps. And, although contra-intuitive, and against all advice....reducing stickout below recommended length goes a long way in producing a more consistent weld, with less pulsing, when using Innershield 211, or other types of filler that are similar.

What you do when you reduce stickout is increase the amps, and it can either help you, or hurt you. Just be careful not to ground your tip, that can get expensive if it blows something in the machine. Not all machines are created equal. I had a Hobart guy tell me that excessive grounding can mess up a rectifier bridge (?) whatever that is. I grounded a tip while tacking, and forgot I was using a wire welder, and alls I had to do was release the trigger instead of trying to yank it off the steel where it had stuck when grounded. And there weren't no squeezy thingy to let loose of the rod from the stinger either Anyways......I looked inside the machine, and the connector thingies were ok at the rectifiers.....whew!!!!!! Tech help at Hobart is very good, it keeps me coming back to them when I need a new machine.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Innershield will run on rust. But it will be erratic, as you're seeing maybe.

I occasionally have the pulsing problem you describe. Flap wheel to shiny metal usually helps. And, although contra-intuitive, and against all advice....reducing stickout below recommended length goes a long way in producing a more consistent weld, with less pulsing, when using Innershield 211, or other types of filler that are similar.

What you do when you reduce stickout is increase the amps, and it can either help you, or hurt you. Just be careful not to ground your tip, that can get expensive if it blows something in the machine. Not all machines are created equal. I had a Hobart guy tell me that excessive grounding can mess up a rectifier bridge (?) whatever that is. I grounded a tip while tacking, and forgot I was using a wire welder, and alls I had to do was release the trigger instead of trying to yank it off the steel where it had stuck when grounded. And there weren't no squeezy thingy to let loose of the rod from the stinger either Anyways......I looked inside the machine, and the connector thingies were ok at the rectifiers.....whew!!!!!! Tech help at Hobart is very good, it keeps me coming back to them when I need a new machine.
    I have found that it does run erratic on rust and I from now on will use my flap disk to take off the rust and paint. I did ground the tip today and I was lucky not to ruin the machine. Thanks.

Also look for a kink in liner too
    You can increase your tension or buy knurled drive roller but if in the liner it will make nest for you

Typical use higher tension or knurled drive roller is for heavyer wire sizes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I will have a friend blow it out tomorrow when I see him. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Bingo ! Absolute minimal tension.Not near enough to curl the wire on a table adjust. Just a banana bend.

I have bought 2 brand new Lincoln 180's (last one was last month so I'm still breaking it in). BOTH the one's I bought had bad tips. They were brand new, but wouldn't make decent contact with the wire for anything. I nearly sold my first one over it before I decided just cause it was new didn't mean it wouldn't fail. So...... put a new tip on and it welded like a dream. You may wanna do that and see just incase.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC
    Lincoln 180
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    Lincoln Mobiflex 200M
    Smith SC209/SW1
    Miller WP17V
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV