Looking to save for a TIG/Stick welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Looking to save for a TIG/Stick welder

Recently I've been wanting to learn TIG welding. I was wondering what you guys thought of the Lincoln square wave 200 and the old transformer 175. Are these units very good and have any of you had good experience with them? Thanks!
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Welder12 on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd...BGgVPbze3Kic3w

Re: Looking to save for a TIG/Stick welder

Both are good. But unless you find one cheap on Craig's list, just go buy the Harbor Freight ProTIG 200. It is a clone of the Lincoln unit and members here have given it a good review.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I see. Is the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP a good unit? I know you can only stick weld and I think do lift arc DC TIG, but I still think it would be a good unit so I can do some stick welding and a little bit of starting TIG. I want to get high quality equipment, even if it means I have to save up for a long time. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Keith Merrell; 08-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP

Why? Terry (Shovelon) did some of the beta testing for them. He thought they built a good machine. It comes with a 1 year return it for any reason for a full refund, trial period. What's not to like? There's no such thing as an American made welder anymore. Even Miller.

But if that doesn't float your boat, go offer this guy $1000 https://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/d...640373584.html
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

If you want to come try a Lincoln SW200 you are welcome to stop by and do so. It is a good tig. Which is why HF modeled their tig after it. They even went to the lengths to find out where Lincoln sourced their parts in china. Both are dual voltage, turnkey, have the same compartment in the front, and all the input plugs, all the output plugs, and ground leads are the same. They both are dual voltage, low power consumption, and literally idiot proof. Granted the Lincoln has better peripheral to the amount of maybe $200, but the Harbor Freight has a much better pulse range.

Or buy an old tranny tig.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrell View Post
    I see. Is the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP a good unit? I know you can only stick weld and I think do lift arc DC TIG, but I still think it would be a good unit so I can do some stick welding and a little bit of starting TIG. I want to get high quality equipment, even if it means I have to save up for a long time. Thanks for the advice.
    If you are planning on doing tig, do your self a favor and get a machine that can be adjusted on the fly either with a thumb wheel or foot pedal. You don't need to be able to adjust the heat for tig welding but It can help out a lot and if you are going to be welding thin metals having a foot pedal will help tremendously with heat control.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Ok. I think I'm going to look at the used market for an older transformer but in good condition. Although, I still like the idea of a Square Wave 200. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP

If you are going to save up $1400-$1500, I would save a bit longer and get the HTP inverting 221. It could be the only TIG welder you may ever need.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I just looked up the specks for the HF ProTig 200 and it looks like for stick welding it only welds in DC.

The ProTIG™ 200 is a professional class TIG welder that combines fast, intuitive weld settings with advanced control. Inverter technology keeps the tool weight low while delivering the highest quality output and maximum efficiency for exceptional TIG performance on both steel and aluminum. Dual voltage 120V/240V input with auto-sense feature gives you the flexibility to weld anywhere you want, whenever you want. Ideal for shop or field use, the ProTIG 200 is capable of GTAW (AC & DC), GTAW-P and SMAW (DC only) processes over a wide variety of materials including stainless, chrome-moly and aluminum. Best-in-class performance makes the Vulcan ProTIG 200 a perfect choice for automotive, aviation, and manufacturing applications. Ready to weld out of the box.

1 YEAR RISK FREE TRIAL – MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
    Advanced features with simple interface
    Outstanding TIG aluminum performance
    TIG and DC stick from a single power source for ultimate versatility
    High frequency arc starting for ultimate arc quality
    Built-in pulsing for increased travel speeds and minimized heat distortion
    Weighs only 51.00 lbs. - ideal for shop or field use
    Dual voltage technology capable of 120V or 240V input
    Inverter technology for highest quality output and maximum efficiency
    120V and 240V power cords are included
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I just looked up the specks for the HF ProTig 200 and it looks like for stick welding it only welds in DC.
    That's not a negative. DC stick welding is very smooth.

Only a very short list of reasons to stick weld with AC.
    -reduce high amperage arc blow
    -reduced arc blow on prior magnetized steel
    That's about it
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    That's not a negative. DC stick welding is very smooth.

Only a very short list of reasons to stick weld with AC.
    -reduce high amperage arc blow
    -reduced arc blow on prior magnetized steel
    That's about it
    True just making sure OP or any one else looking is aware. I was looking to see if it was a inverter or transformer based machine when I discovered the abscense of AC stick welding.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    If you are going to save up $1400-$1500, I would save a bit longer and get the HTP inverting 221. It could be the only TIG welder you may ever need.
    I like that idea. HTP makes some excellent units. Do you have any experience with it?
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP

Personally, no. But a lot of people on this board have that unit and love it. I have never heard a single horror story about that unit or the folks at HTP. It's kind of like the Hypertherm Powermax 45xp....I don't need to own one to know it is the best.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrell View Post
    I like that idea. HTP makes some excellent units. Do you have any experience with it?
    I recently purchased the htp invertig 221. Its a nice machine- It has more features than I'll ever use----I wont need another tig ( unless the magic smoke escapes ).