Replacing Century Welder Fan
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Replacing Century Welder Fan

I have an old Century AC/DC welder, 230amp with a fan that doesn't turn. Can I just replace the fan with a 120v computer fan? Can I splice into 1 hot coming in and the ground wire coming in from the outlet? Or should I use a different ground?

Maybe something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...v+computer+fan

Re: Replacing Century Welder Fan

just goto ww grainger or online and buy the correct fan that is coming out of the welder..

Look at the windings on the fan transformer and see if the wire has broke in a place that you can fix it. I resoldered one awhile back for an old Craftsman welder.

You don't want to pull off a leg of 240 and the ground for 120.

You really probably need a fan that will accept 240 volt or plug it in separately or something but I am guessing the welders fan was moving more air than the little computer fan does. ?? They have those type that accept 240 so that is no problem but think you should try and get a similar motor and swap the blade and install but if just wanting to try to make it work that way I don't see why you couldn't try.

That fan will not move enough air only 51 CFM. Need about 3 times that.
    Take the model number and go to Lincolns web site, support tab the find
    parts. enter as a guest. then up in the code number box enter your century model( stick welders are 110-xxx)
    number. The parts and owners manuals should then be displayed. From that you can get the
    correct part number and order the right fan motor. either on line or from your local welding supply.