Is Flux Core that Bad? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is Flux Core that Bad?

At time I would buy E71T-1 240 lb in 60lb coil w/CO2 for over 30 years
    I use E71T-1 for X-Raying
    If some ever goes wrong In California they test all weldeds trying to hang it on the welder.
    Today I use E71T-11 0.030" for my small shop

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Olon View Post
    Hello,

I'm in the market for my first MIG welder, and I've been doing a lot of research to try to make a smart investment. I've put a lot of consideration into what the setup is going to have to be like for my situation. I live in an apartment (with a 1-car garage in which I can probably get away with welding). I'm a po' boy and I'm already dropping a good chunk of change on the welder itself, so it may be awhile before I can afford the gas tank (I want to wait until I can get a fairly large one). I'd like to try to get away with using flux-core wire for the first couple of months while I'm learning. It seems as though the general attitude toward welding with flux-core is not a positive one though so I wanted to see why.

It looks like the main detractor is the appearance. The stuff I'll be welding is minor things like a table to do my work on, maybe a barstool or something so I don't really care about the looks. Just basic little odds and ends with the purpose of getting in time so I can handle bigger projects later on. How much does the practice of welding with flux-core translate to welding with MIG? If you're good with one are you good with the other? Is flux-core really that bad?

Thanks for your input!

I approach mig/fluxcore by the job, if I'm inside then I'll normally use mig, if outside then I'll use normally fluxcore, or sometimes stick just so I don't have to worry about the wind. I will fluctuate from this occasionally also depending on what needs done and the weather.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

The other thing I didnt mention is that often I'll choose flux core over MIG because I do a lot of repair welds and flux core will handle something that's a little dirty. Sometimes it isn't practical to get everything down to bright shiny metal.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Olon View Post
    Wow and Airgas quoted me $260 for a 70cf 25/75 tank... ridiculous. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to get on there and take a look!
    Firebomb the dump. I just got these quotes from Praxair Tampa . My bottles.
    100 lb CO2 $39.86 ( thats the big tank ~9 x 55 or so)
    280 feets3 of 75/25 $82.20
    250 feets3 of O2 $35.07
    Each or any of the large bottles, should I lease a few, is 7.50/mo( &89.xx per year per tank.). I can live with that.
    I want to lease one for 90/10 and a pure argon when I get wherever I'm going.The container will go to Tampa in Nov some time.I'm a no underwear, no long pants, fishing shirt wearing wuss so I'll probably do a year around central FL while I build... likely in NC. in spring.
    I dont do sticks and asphalt so it looks like I have to build my own shack up there. I refuse living in a tinderbox.Mulch board and petroleum shingles..... FN brilliant

And yea. flux sux too. If I were in 100 mph wind on a 3/4" boat deck I might change my mind........maybe
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-22-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: and yea. flux sux

Lincoln NR 211MP .045 Flux-Core. The wire was put down with a 2007 MM180 set to 7/40 for the single pass and 7/45 for the multiple pass weld. The acid test was done with Naval Jelly after polishing the cut off end of the coupon with a 3M maroon quick change disc. The coupon is 1/4" X 5/16"steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by tackit; 08-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.

I find it strange that we don't see more general shop and repair welding done with flux-core, here in the UK. flux-core seems to be the preserve of small horrible cheap mig welders, or top end robotised units. No inbetweens.

Having said that, the smooth looking bead of a solid wire and argoshield looks a lot smarter. Just would be nice to slap a roll of decent FCAW wire in a portable mig for repairs without having to look for hours for the right sort of wire...!

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I find it strange that we don't see more general shop and repair welding done with flux-core, here in the UK. flux-core seems to be the preserve of small horrible cheap mig welders, or top end robotised units. No inbetweens.

Having said that, the smooth looking bead of a solid wire and argoshield looks a lot smarter. Just would be nice to slap a roll of decent FCAW wire in a portable mig for repairs without having to look for hours for the right sort of wire...!
    i know guys hate the stuff simply because there is more mess (slag) to clean up.
    the guys can run mig all day long and have very little shop cleaning to be done.

One thing about gasless flux core is that it produces a ton of smoke and really coats the outer cover of your welding helmet. I keep a spray bottle of eyeglass lens cleaner and soft cotton wipes (like tissue paper) to wipe it down (very very gently, with little pressure by gliding the tissue over the lens) every so often. It makes the outer lens stay in a good condition much longer.
    1st person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    Millermatic 211 Inv. MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma

I guess I kind of jumped in without really understanding what the original post was all about...my apologies for that. But in my case for what I use the self shielded wire for on heavy equipment self shielded flux core (NR 233 1/16") works excellent. The past 2 days Ive spent running this wire rebuilding some big ol tooth bases for a shovel, inch and a half AR plate mostly, in 2 days I welded 21 pieces of plate on these things and used a little over 100 pounds of wire and never had a glitch on any of it. The bases were on the shovel which meant I ran this stuff in any position you can weld in. I would recommend it for this work especially if you are workin outside like I do. For a guy just trying to get some experience its a challenge I suppose if he would get good at this stuff he good be good doin anything except maybe tig. I wouldn't recommend these little machines for anyone trying to learn, they just don't seem to have the moxie to do anything with and when you get to the real stuff the whole world seems to come crashing down on you. But I haven't used any of them that much so I probly don't know what Im talkin about

I have use flux core for over 30 year and have had no smoke has cover my helmet
    But I did weld out side

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    One thing about gasless flux core is that it produces a ton of smoke and really coats the outer cover of your welding helmet. I keep a spray bottle of eyeglass lens cleaner and soft cotton wipes (like tissue paper) to wipe it down (very very gently, with little pressure by gliding the tissue over the lens) every so often. It makes the outer lens stay in a good condition much longer.

Flux core is awesome if you're welding lighter material. I never weld thicker than 3/16 with mine.....BTW...... that's what a small utility trailer is made of...... I built one with flux core welding, and it has served me for many many years. I've been known to over load it a few times. no cracks in the welds.... no issues at all. If I weld anything thicker, I use my Lincoln ac/dc stick welder. I'm sold on flux core for these applications that I mentioned.

Name:  trailer.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  118.3 KB
    Last edited by captain belly; 09-02-2018 at 11:46 PM.

I weld thicker stuff all the time with .045 E71T-11 in my suitcase. Run it around 180-200 amps and it bites right into the thicker stuff. The max rated thickness on my wire (Hobart Fabshield 21B) is 3/4". It's rare that I weld anything thicker than that anyway. It's strong stuff that gets an unfair rap sometimes. I can't think of a single failure I've had with it.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

flux core is great if you are welding outside, with gas it needs to be a calm day, with flux you just gotta clean the flux off the weld, I've changed my welder over to gas, but keep a roll of flux wire in case I'm welding outside on a windy day, just change the spool, and the polarity.
    when the hood drops, the bull**** stops.