Structural beam weld re-do - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Structural beam weld re-do

I hope that the building frame in question is the first, and last, one to be put up like that by your GC.

Nothing about the design or construction is acceptable. It looks like something designed and built by someone with wayyy more ambition than knowledge or experience.

1. over that kind of span, you'd want heavier section to start with for the trussses. It's barely adequate for rain, never mind wind or snow loading.
    2. if you stick with that span, you then need some gussets in key areas AS A MINIMUM at the side column areas to stop it bending and flopping (which it looks like it could)
    3. where are the braces??? The ones supposed to be stopping the framework flopping over with a gust of wind?? that's something you learn on day one of shed building. literally two braces needed, one on each direction, nothing else!
    4. what sort of muppet wants to weld buildings together like that? Not that it's a sin if done right, but surely for an extra length of flat and some holes, it could have been pre-fabbed.

which leads to 5. I bet there is something wrong with almost every aspect of this building. I'd be interested to see details of how the wall columns are attached to the ground, and how the trusses attach to them, how the purlins are attached to the trusses. Why wouldnt you use z-purlins, or wood if its on the cheap?
    Last edited by Munkul; 08-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.

I hope you didn't pay up front for any of that.

I think the OP fade94 faded away.... was (is) he a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    I think the OP fade94 faded away.... was (is) he a troll?
    That's what i thought 5 min ago.
    No response to all the advice and his last activity on the forum was when he made his first post.
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Thanks guys....
    To clarify, I found the issue the day I returned from vacation and immediately notified the GC. We then had the welder come out to meet with us. Turns out, the "welded" subbed out the actually welding and didn't even bother to check it. The GC immediately fired him and we stayed until he cleared out all his gear then I changed the gate code. The GC is making it right. He spent several days making the frame safe.
    My question was mainly so that I would know if what he plans to do or does to address these welds is suffecient to support the beams while the repair is made.

I am torn myself.
    A) Support the beams on each side of the weld and grind it out. But, I think there is a chance that if there is a twist or other pressure that it will break loose and come crashing down.
    B) Fab some plates out of 1/2 material to match the angle and span the joint 12" either side of it and weld the plates solid, without doing anything with the current welds.
    C) Fab a joiner piece and weld to the underside of both beams spanning the joint then grind out a portion of the bad weld and redo a little at a time on each side, then top with 1 or 2 7018 passes. And leave the joiner piece.
    2018 Lincoln 250GXT

This thread coulda ended with Bob's post. I trust anything he says about this type of stuff.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

I would just grind/cut out one flange at a time . Then reweld it correctly and do the next flange. Do the center web last after both flanges were rewelded and go to the next joint. If all welds are suspect that it would not support its own weight I might do half of the first flange at a time then go back to one flange at a time. There is very little load on the structure as it sits so it will not need much weld to keep it tempararily supported while the welds are fixed. The only bad part is that it is about 4 times as much work as it would have been if it just been done right the first time.

" I have built both weld up and bolt up metal buildings for around 35 years and I have never seen 8" of any weight used for a 40' span. By both the manufacturers that I use, 40' should be 14"x 23# beam for non commercial buildings. I also think you should check the vertical welds at the columns. Usually on weld ups, the rafter sets on top of the columns. On bolt ups, the interior rafters set inside the columns and the end rafters set on top. Also check the welds of the purlins. There should be just over half the purlin width of weld on one side and just over half on the other. " (El Bob)

Why you guys still hackin' at it? It's a fiasco.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Great info guys. Thanks a bunch
    2018 Lincoln 250GXT

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    If this was my building I was paying good money for... I would be having a lawyer telling the GC to take it down and start over. This is garbage work and no way would I accept a rework. Get it gone.
    That would also be my take, start new, new steel, GC you eat the damaged garbage.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

It is great job to do
    Will make good money
    I would get paid for work ever week

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fade94 View Post
    Great info guys. Thanks a bunch

I wonder what kind of guy it takes to do that weld, look at it, say to him self "great, ready for the next one"???

People like that, taking someone's money, should crawl away before the first one and go to somewhere miserable or something
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

What is called a wind beam would help this building a lot. It is a horizontal beam put on the underside at the peak. Maybe 8-10' long (or longer) from one rafter to the opposite. Then a couple of large gussets as stated.

I would not go near that structure until some bracing is added. Seen too many fall over like dominoes.
    Tim

Miller
    MM 250,251,251,252
    DeltaWeld 450 w/ WC-1
    CP-300 w/ 22A

I did that type work with father back 1970's
    I wad still high school and work paid great.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    I wonder what kind of guy it takes to do that weld, look at it, say to him self "great, ready for the next one"???

People like that, taking someone's money, should crawl away before the first one and go to somewhere miserable or something

Ewww ugly welds, i would call it cut out but until reading the rest of story. Gee fire the GC AND MAKE HIM hire a better welder to redo all at his own expense. Why leave the dirty work to someone else.
    MM215
    Victor torch set