Is in line air filter working if i never find moisture inside of it... - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is in line air filter working if i never find moisture inside of it...

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    the amount of moisture is still the same. same air flow and same humidity means same amount of water gets sucked in.

the difference is a crap setup that doesn't cool the compressed air down will let water pass through the whole system. ie its removes less so you see less in the tank and filter. what you don't see is the amount thats passing through the lines. unless of course it cools in the lines and floods your tools/machine.
    Agreed.

We’re saying the same thing, but your explanation is much better than mine was. ie - the hotter the air - the more moisture is retained in the air post-compressor tank as opposed to condensing out of the air in the tank.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Interesting thread.

I have this 30 gallon compressor I rigged up many years ago. It has a beast pump head with a 10HP motor. The pulley ratio was sized such that it has approximately the air delivery of 7.5 HP (pump speed is like 550 RPM.) Even at this ratio it is more than I need for little tasks. I use it exclusively for painting. It lives outside my garage covered with a tarp. I have done kitchen cabinets and furniture sprayed with waterborne, conversion varnish and 2k. I have also sprayed auto primer, base, and 2k clear. My guns require like 14CFM. I've got it on a constant run mode and cycles about 30% (pump up time) if I spray continuously.

I did add an aftercooler. It is a single stage. I've got a milton filter/dryer at the end of a 50' air hose and it is always dry. I do get moisture in the tank though, but I have never had problems with moisture ruining my finishes. I'm in DFW, so it is usually humid in the Spring and Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I got a HF refrigerated dryer and never looked back. It just works.
    One of the items from H.F. that does work. I put one in (HF dryer) and kept the 10 lb desiccant just ahead of the regulator used for painting. If I get any moisture thru all that I'll just go home.
    Ernie F.

To the OP.

I'd imagine you're not cutting much above 100 lineal feet per day

For anything short of job shop applications, all the expensive drying crap is just that...……...crap.

It's about dollars, and cents. Consumbables are cheap (on Ebay….actual REAL OEM consumables) compared to outsourcing the cuts to a shop. So, that's our baseline. Not ultimate longevity, but balancing cost against other costs.

First thing you gotta think about is dewpoint. What temp will cause the moisture to condense...………..For air coming out of a compressor at let's say.....above 100*, the dewpoint is about 99*. Surprise!! You're gonna get condensation at any temps below the output temp from the compressor. It's why the tank gets full of water.

Anyways...……………….do it simple. Couple of feet of pipe, and a few drops.

Name:  plasma tips1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  plasma tips2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  plasma tips3.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  144.7 KB Hydraulic line from tank to pipe is bent so that it isolates most of the condensate in the compressor tank, and then passes the rest to a downhill run of pipe

Name:  plasma tips4.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  122.2 KB
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

You're gonna get some moisture in your air...…..live with it.

It shows up as a deposit on your electrode.

Name:  plasma tips5.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  149.5 KB This is a new one, but the fins will get funky after some exposure to not-too-perfect air in the stream. The key is to occasionally disassemble the torch, and clean the fins with a good wire brush. Makes the electrode last much longer. Make sure to clean the area around the insert too.

Next step is to watch your tips. You'll get splashback on a tip. The molten metal will come back on the tip. Same again...…….just clean it with a wire brush occasionally. You'll double or quadruple the life of your consumables.

Name:  plasma tips6.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  136.7 KB

Don't be penny wise, and pound foolish...…….keep a ready stock of consumables on hand. It's cheaper than making a trip to your local machine shop/fab shop/LWS etc.

Name:  plasma tips7.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  109.6 KB

Working with metal costs moooola. No way around it. Pay the Piper, or stay at home. Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    One of the items from H.F. that does work. I put one in (HF dryer) and kept the 10 lb desiccant just ahead of the regulator used for painting. If I get any moisture thru all that I'll just go home.
    cheap air dryers work ok. can be made to work a whole lot better as a lot of them leave out one of the heat exchangers to keep costs down. find a heat exchanger out of an old commercial one and plumb it up. that also fixes one of the issues they have of freezing the tools or lines its connected to.

also most of them are not actually made to connect directly to piston compressors, your meant to run a cooler before the dryer. you can get dryers for piston compressors, they basically have a pre-cooler built into it. but they are usually big commercial units.

you need to keep in mind its another thing using power. if your limited on power it may not be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post

For anything short of job shop applications, all the expensive drying crap is just that...……...crap.

It's about dollars, and cents. Consumbables are cheap (on Ebay….actual REAL OEM consumables) compared to outsourcing the cuts to a shop. So, that's our baseline. Not ultimate longevity, but balancing cost against other costs.

First thing you gotta think about is dewpoint. What temp will cause the moisture to condense...………..For air coming out of a compressor at let's say.....above 100*, the dewpoint is about 99*. Surprise!! You're gonna get condensation at any temps below the output temp from the compressor. It's why the tank gets full of water.

Anyways...……………….do it simple. Couple of feet of pipe, and a few drops.

[
    well it depends.
    consumables here are not cheap.

making a cooler out of pipe is a good start and generally works well for most people.
    but you need to be careful. if the room the cooler is in is hotter than where you work, then you will end up with moisture condensing in the air lines when the air cools down in your work room.
    something to watch if you have a compressor shed or have the cooler right next to the compressor.
    that water tends to blow through in one lot which can cause solenoid failure, squirt water out any leaks eg hose connections inside a machine.
    i've had a water separator completely flooded and let water into machines before due to that.

on my work setup most of the water is caught in the first 20 feet of pipe. so its not just a few feet of pipe needed.

also its difficult to make that sort of cooler on a portable air compressor. thats where you need to use a compact radiator.

You can rejuvenate those beads buy baking at low tempo for a few hours. Convection oven works even better. Dehydrator probably would work too. Maybe even a rod oven...

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

This is a good read, I forgot I'd bookmarked it a while back.

It's an authoritative discussion of the problem. Much more reliable than what I say (sometimes I get stuff wrong)

http://www.parker.com/literature/Bal...edAirGuide.pdf

The desiccant and filter combo i ordered just came. Surprisingly larger than I expected so thats a plus.

Seems very well built full metal. Not bad so far for $90.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

refrigerated dryer is the way to go if you can spend the $. We put one in our shop and my plasma consumables life at least doubled.