I could use a brainstorm - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I could use a brainstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I would like a 24 X 48 pedestal to mount them on but 100% of my buyers are nervous about cost. I need to develop the most cost effective solution.

Any ideas?
    Give them the price for the build & install of the frame you originally described, and tell them what will happen if it is not on one. Then if they still balk at the price, tell them to get a base made 24"X48" 2' high and call you when it's done, and you will come install their new Generac. When they start getting prices from others or price it to do it themselves, then your bid to do it your way may seem more attractive to them.
    If they opt to go another route than you prescribed and it fails in a year or two, it's not your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Give them the price for the build & install of the frame you originally described, and tell them what will happen if it is not on one. Then if they still balk at the price, tell them to get a base made 24"X48" 2' high and call you when it's done, and you will come install their new Generac. When they start getting prices from others or price it to do it themselves, then your bid to do it your way may seem more attractive to them.
    If they opt to go another route than you prescribed and it fails in a year or two, it's not your fault.
    Generac advertises ridiculously low purchase prices. As you know, the low price for a generator, FOB several states away, is a portion of the total cost. Shipping, tax, transfer switch, dealer profit, set up, battery, base, and propane all add significant cost. Here, where very cold temperatures can interfere with starting, heaters are needed. This is if there aren't problems with the home's service equipment, it must be fixed. Every buyer suffers from sticker shock. A fireproof raised platform is needed, but it is another line item in the total cost.

Cheapest thing I can think of is a used 275 gallon fuel tank filled with crushed stone. Tanks are free for the taking usually.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post

Cheapest thing I can think of is a used 275 gallon fuel tank filled with crushed stone. Tanks are free for the taking usually.
    By the end of the day your angle iron structure will be better quicker and cheaper.

edit: 55 gals drums filled with...?

Depending on generator base, pour four holes with concrete, and bolt legs to generator frame. Anchor to concrete. Most generators I worked with were all internally isolated.

How about a slab for footing with concrete pillars (stilts) with another concrete slab on top of the pillars. Materials are cheap, but labor will be high. If you can build a form and do the whole thing in one pour in your shop, then just tilt it off a dump bed or trailer at the site. You could just keep re-using the form and it will get cheaper and faster with each install.
    P.S. You asked for "brain storm" but I am best at "brain fart".
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

[QUOTE=snowbird;8636010]By the end of the day your angle iron structure will be better quicker and cheaper.QUOTE]

Basically what I was saying in post #26.

Got a local precast concrete company, see what they have in the way of a concrete utility vault, usually have something in the 2 ft by 4ft range rectangle box, dig out a little stone pad, place precast structure, and set Genny on top. best part is concrete company will come out and set it if you give the access and pad. Lots of different shapes, if you do a lot of these they may very well custom cast a structure for you. Could use a round well tile and cover possibly. Bet it's under 300 for something like that. What would it cost to custom fab a pedestal. I couldn't do it for 500.
    nice , clean, weather resistant , strong Concrete, and they do all the work. maybe a precast stair minus the steps.
    lighter, neater than mafia blocks
    Last edited by kolot; 08-16-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    Got a local precast concrete company, see what they have in the way of a concrete utility vault, usually have something in the 2 ft by 4ft range rectangle box, dig out a little stone pad, place precast structure, and set Genny on top. best part is concrete company will come out and set it if you give the access and pad. Lots of different shapes, if you do a lot of these they may very well custom cast a structure for you. Could use a round well tile and cover possibly. Bet it's under 300 for something like that. What would it cost to custom fab a pedestal. I couldn't do it for 500.
    nice , clean, weather resistant , strong Concrete, and they do all the work. maybe a precast stair minus the steps.
    lighter, neater than mafia blocks
    Weight is a good thing, but a solid block of concrete is more than my biggest loader can lift. A hollow D box could be heavy enough, or fill it with gravel. I'll look into that.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Buy a 3d printer on a trailer, back trailer up to spot, push start and walk away. Come back to a printed stand of whatever size and height you wanted.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Buy a 3d printer on a trailer, back trailer up to spot, push start and walk away. Come back to a printed stand of whatever size and height you wanted.

Yeah, great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    A small outdoor storage shed that matches the landscaping decor, sitting on a concrete pad? You could duct the exhaust to the exterior and have screened vents for intake of combustion air? Then it no longer has to be above the snow and can be shoveled out as part of the regular snow removal plan.
    I think for aesthetics and practicality John's idea is best for a homeowner installation, it keeps weather, dust, and dirt off the expensive equipment as well.

A window left open would allow air in and a dryer vent could be used for the exhaust. I put a dryer vent through the wall of my garage to exhaust my Miller 200 LEAD.

Nice wooden garden buildings can be dropped off, big enough it can be used for a storage shed as well. You can have lights, small heater, store oil, rags and keep the owners manual handy, and even if it's storming or snowing perform maintenance and troubleshoot problems in a comfortable and safe building. Probably add years to the life of the generator too.

Just put it on the roof.

CR

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I think for aesthetics and practicality John's idea is best for a homeowner installation, it keeps weather, dust, and dirt off the expensive equipment as well.

A window left open would allow air in and a dryer vent could be used for the exhaust. I put a dryer vent through the wall of my garage to exhaust my Miller 200 LEAD.

Nice wooden garden buildings can be dropped off, big enough it can be used for a storage shed as well. You can have lights, small heater, store oil, rags and keep the owners manual handy, and even if it's storming or snowing perform maintenance and troubleshoot problems in a comfortable and safe building. Probably add years to the life of the generator too.
    Lots of authorities say that is prohibited. Even outdoors it can't be within 60" of a window, overhang, etc. Nor can it sit on a combustible surface.

In my youth it was common to put them indoors. I've installed several indoors. I'm not sure if it is prohibited these days, or just not common practice. Generac specifically prohibits indoor installations.

cement blocks - $1.00

For example I'm going to buy a Well tile later today 37" outside diameter 4 " thick and 3 feet tall $59 cover is around $30 precast concrete is pretty reasonable.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

I would build them from all Aluminum and make both ends cheap by building a 1/2" rod truss system that bolts to an angle top frame. Should be able to make them 3 pieces and easy to install with 2 person. Also no maintenance. You can also make a lot of them out of steel and have them galvanized.

Wood or metal is going to be your best bet.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Wood is out. They have to be non combustible.

Pour some concrete piers put a plate in top of the piers build your frame work paint it haul it over set it square it weld it set generator drive away

These would probably be the simplest solution.
    Is it an issue to have them on a flat slab on the ground, I've seen tons of them that way around Manchester VT.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
    These would probably be the simplest solution.
    Is it an issue to have them on a flat slab on the ground, I've seen tons of them that way around Manchester VT.
    Actually Manchester is on the east face of the Green Mountains mostly. It's the West face that gets so much snow. Landgrove, ten miles from me often has 8 feet on the ground. These machines seem to stand a fighting chance if the base is 2 or three feet off the ground. Generac recommends they be on the ground. Some machines I believe would do better raised. One, in Stratton has had several fail to start issues. Snow is the problem.

What is the price point you're looking to be near/at?
    Galvanized watering tub ( tractor supply ) filled with stone?

Thus far we've been using two layers of pressure treated 2x12 with 4x4 upright. This, filled with crushed stone is OK. I may come to regret this alternative, but holding the wood 6" away from the generator has worked.

How about gabion baskets filled with rock ,stone.

4 8" concrete tubes (might get by with 2 even), sink them 4' deep and leave 3' above grade. Build a galvanized angle iron frame and drop in a piece of 1.5 fluted decking. bolt the frame to the top of the concrete tubes and fill it with concrete. Basically make a small elevated slab, would't cost much in material. If these are the 20kw generacs or similar you need roughly a 3x6 platform and they can't weigh more than 500lbs. We put one in a few years ago, ended up right around $6000 installed. For the peace of mind knowing that it won't drown in a snow storm I'd think most people would be willing to spend $1500 more to get it elevated. If you've got a skid steer and an auger you can pop in tubes very fast, set and pour the tubes before noon. Give them 4hrs to set, drop on the frame (I'd build a wood support under it or get some short shoring posts) and pour that by dinner. Finish installation in 2-3 days after things cure for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    How about gabion baskets filled with rock ,stone.
    I'm liking the basket idea. If there is one on the market 3x5x2 or approx. that might work.