Quote Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
4 8" concrete tubes (might get by with 2 even), sink them 4' deep and leave 3' above grade. Build a galvanized angle iron frame and drop in a piece of 1.5 fluted decking. bolt the frame to the top of the concrete tubes and fill it with concrete. Basically make a small elevated slab, would't cost much in material. If these are the 20kw generacs or similar you need roughly a 3x6 platform and they can't weigh more than 500lbs. We put one in a few years ago, ended up right around $6000 installed. For the peace of mind knowing that it won't drown in a snow storm I'd think most people would be willing to spend $1500 more to get it elevated. If you've got a skid steer and an auger you can pop in tubes very fast, set and pour the tubes before noon. Give them 4hrs to set, drop on the frame (I'd build a wood support under it or get some short shoring posts) and pour that by dinner. Finish installation in 2-3 days after things cure for a bit.
For me it'd be reasonable to do a steel angle 2' x 4' on legs of the same material. Prospective customers are lured by advertising offering the bottom of the line generators dirt cheap. Buyers are disappointed by the reality that 1.5 pages of itemized materials are needed to install. A house optimally set up for transfer switch is rare. Some service equipment is in need of freshening up before install. I have to think of the least costly choice. Steel is cost effective, but the nearest hot galvanizer is hundreds of miles from me.

Aluminum is more costly, but does not need paint, or galvanizing.