Beginner welder setup for aluminium
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Beginner welder setup for aluminium

I recently purchased an all aluminium pop up trailer, and now have the itch to weld up another one. I have only done gas Mig welding in the past. I am wanting to know what would be a good setup to start trying aluminium. SOme parts are pretty thick. I would say the main frame raises a 1/4" wall square tubing.

It looks like most of it was welded using a spool gun on a mig. I say that only because the welds don't look like TIG welds.

Would a spool gun on a 240v MIG be the best set up, or should i go TIG? Can a Mig make good looking Aluminium welds?

Re: Beginner welder setup for aluminium

I got a Lotos 200A ac/dc tig/stick thinking to try Aluminium.

I still can't figure out Aluminium welding. I could teach myself doing steel, but for AL, could not even do a single bead. Need to figure out how to do it.
    For thick stuff, a spool gun may help but I have not tried it so can't say.

TIG would work, but honestly you would be slow as molasses and you need to get good at welding out of position, and typically without a foot pedal, both of which add to the challenge. Most of the commercial aluminum trailers I have seen are MIG welded. For quarter inch aluminum, you are going to need a 250 amp class machine. The 200-220 amp machines (Hobart 210 MVP, Millermatic 211, Lincoln Powermig 210MP, and similar) are only going to be good up to 3/16ths of inch at the top of their ranges. But any decent 250-300 amp or higher MIG set up with a spool gun should do fine. The thing is, its not beginner priced. About the cheapest I think you could do new would be the Hobart Ironman 230 with a spool gun for around $1900, and you still need to invest in a tank of argon (roughly another $300), at a minimum.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I haven’t used my spool gun in years. Here is what it can do on 16-GA, and 1/4-inch.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Very interesting, thanks. I have to try a spool gun on my Lincoln 180. I already have the argon bottle.
    If spool gun works well for me, I will probably not bother with AC TIG any more. On the plus side I can a better Tig machine down the line. Probably a DC Tig/stick/plasma combo from Everlast and sell my lotos tig and lotos plasma cutter.

i was looking at something like the Hobart 210 MPV with a spool gun. 1/4" may be more than i need, but i figured i would be using it for gussets and things.

Aluminum needs two things: amps and duty cycle. The 210MVP may work in short spurts, but honestly I am willing to bet you will be disappointed in the end because of thermal overload, etc. If you want to do aluminum, you will be happier with a larger machine.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

whats considered a short spurt? on this project i am thinking longest weld is about 5"

Quote Originally Posted by nikb View Post
    whats considered a short spurt? on this project i am thinking longest weld is about 5"
    welding aluminum you'll likely be maxing out a 210mp which has a duty cycle of about 18-20% at max output, so you'll get maybe 2 minutes of welding time every 10 minutes depending on how cold it is where you live, you'll be hitting that thermal overload ALOT.