Practically free Bridgeport - Page 6
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Practically free Bridgeport

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2cs View Post
    ...original Bridgeport motor which bye the way is about $1300.00 to replace if you fry one.
    At that price,could you have a motor shop rewind a motor for single phase? For as common as it is to find a lot of small industrial equipment have a second life in a residential shop, why isn't there single phase aftermarket motors available for something as common as a Bridgeport?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    At that price,could you have a motor shop rewind a motor for single phase? For as common as it is to find a lot of small industrial equipment have a second life in a residential shop, why isn't there single phase aftermarket motors available for something as common as a Bridgeport?
    It doesn't work like that. You can't just rewind a 3 phase to single.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flipsk12 View Post
    It doesn't work like that. You can't just rewind a 3 phase to single.

But a 3 phase motor will run on single phase and create 3 phase.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    But a 3 phase motor will run on single phase and create 3 phase.
    usually with a whole *** ton of capacitors, then we have a phase converter. When I worked rewinding motors our electrical engineer would always talk about cutting off the shaft on old 3p motors and building converters. Never did it though

I own a single phase Bridgeport. It does not instant reverse like a three phase so it is limited when it comes to tapping.

If you ever toast your 3ph motor(I don't think you likely will) you can always do this. If you know your way around machinery then you don't need to buy this one you can make your own.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202188279431
    ---Meltedmetal

There is a big difference between reversing and instant reversing.

If you look around your Bridgeport, you may find a T handle marked Bijur, if so the machine is equipped with an oiler, it is not automatic, and you have to refill the reservoir occasionally, get in the habit of lubing the machine before use, if it has a Bijur oiler, just pull on the handle and let go.

Get in the habit of not laying anything on the table, but if you do,always lay a shop rag on the table first.

There are literally hundreds of sites related to phase converters, rotary phase converters, and VFD's. Many sites will explain how to build phase converters and rotary phase converters, from very basic to quite advanced, all have their pros and cons. Do your homework.

Coolant can be very important to finish and tool life, and can be as simple a spray bottle(Windex) or squirt can (Ketchup squeeze bottle) to a full on mist system with recovery. I've found WD40 works well for aluminum, Crisco works well for tapping, especially stainless steel, and are commonly available. Of course there are specialty products like Tap Magic and others, google "coolant systems" if you like DIY.

Educate yourself, most hobby machinists' only use about 25% of any machines' ability.

Home Shop Machinist, and Practical Machinist are both good sources for use of machine tools and DIY projects that will hone your skills and help you get to making chips!

Good luck!
    Last edited by wasillashack; 04-06-2019 at 05:50 PM.

For as common as it is to find a lot of small industrial equipment have a second life in a residential shop, why isn't there single phase aftermarket motors available for something as common as a Bridgeport?
    Because there's no reason to want a single phase motor when VFDs exist. A bonus is electrically variable speed control for less wrasslin' with stepped pulley fossil mills.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...rters-and-vfd/

Hi,
    I've got a 1965 BP and use what is called a "Stone Age" RPC!

There is info on PM on how to make one.

I used a 7HP motor and start it with an old washing machine motor.

I turn the WM (pony motor) off after the 7 HP motor starts and let it just idle along.

I use this to run the BP and a 1945 Horz. Wellsaw. (not both at the same time)

I have used this set up for about 15 years and still going strong.

One thing nice about a RPC is you keep more of your power in the motor than using any other method except real 3 PH!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by seagiant; 06-03-2019 at 05:20 PM.