Practically free Bridgeport - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Practically free Bridgeport

Got it to my shop. Boss said I could keep it there a few days till I figure out how to get it home.
    Thinking of finding an equipment moving company..
    Name:  IMG_20180818_104803.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  156.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by flipsk12 View Post
    Get a vfd for sure. The motor will be fine to run on a vfd. Just keep it at 60hz and use the stock speed adjust. Phase converters are outdated.
    So I have 3 or 4 three phase machines all under 5 hp that I want to run from single phase, not at the same time but one is 3/4 hp, one is 1 hp, and one is 2 hp, and one is 3 hp. How many, vfd's and what size, versus how many rotary phase convertors and what size, do I need to run my equipment? No real need to run more than 1 machine at a time.
    ---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    Got it to my shop. Boss said I could keep it there a few days till I figure out how to get it home.
    Thinking of finding an equipment moving company..
    Name:  IMG_20180818_104803.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  156.1 KB
    you can easily roll it off that trailer into your garage....just tip and put 1 inch steel pipe as rollers and use rope from the mill to the front of the trailer to let it roll slowly, or even a comalong to make sure it doesnt slip away..

Didn't want to risk it on my own.

Didn't want to risk it on my own.
    can you convince a few friends to help for some good food...

Some cheap starting tools... Not sure about endmills and such yet..
    Name:  Screenshot_20180819-174923.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  129.0 KB

Don't cheap out on the vise. That is the foundation for all your work. I bought one import. The other 3 are Kurts...
    My name's not Jim....

Can't exactly afford a Kurt right now. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    So I have 3 or 4 three phase machines all under 5 hp that I want to run from single phase, not at the same time but one is 3/4 hp, one is 1 hp, and one is 2 hp, and one is 3 hp. How many, vfd's and what size, versus how many rotary phase convertors and what size, do I need to run my equipment? No real need to run more than 1 machine at a time.
    With 4 machines I'd go to rotary appropriate to the largest machine. Unless you buy something more with a 5 horse or larger 1 rotary will handle everything.

VFD route pretty much requires 1 VFD per machine.

Cost benefit goes to rotary in my book.

These step clamps come in handy too

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8ILw&adurl=

Can't exactly afford a Kurt right now. Lol
    Can't? Or don't want to? Because if you can't, then your going to need a different hobby. If you just don't want to, the realize you may just be pissing the money away and end up with a Kurt anyway.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    With 4 machines I'd go to rotary appropriate to the largest machine. Unless you buy something more with a 5 horse or larger 1 rotary will handle everything.

VFD route pretty much requires 1 VFD per machine.

Cost benefit goes to rotary in my book.
    Thanks Virgil,
    That would be my conclusion as well. I'm in a rural setting and I also am exposed to many voltage fluctuations. Occasional brown outs and voltage spikes when they try to restore power after branches fall on the line(because the will only cut branches 10' from the line). These recently took out my 50" TV. Had to replace the power board. I fear that VFD's might not like those conditions either.
    ---Meltedmetal

Looks like mine is a 65/66. Can't wait to get it home and cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Can't? Or don't want to? Because if you can't, then your going to need a different hobby. If you just don't want to, the realize you may just be pissing the money away and end up with a Kurt anyway.
    I have absolutely no real world need for this thing, and at the moment, I can't afford a Kurt. A $120 vise will at least get me up and running and learning. I don't even have any projects in mind to start out with it. Haha. I'm just going to be making chips, and messing around.
    Maybe make some dice once I figure out how to make square sides..

This is purely for fun.

As far as I know, Mills are oiled, not greased... This one has about a tube of grease crammed in the ways.

Look around your area for auctions to pick up tooling, mills, rotary tables etc at good prices. I picked up all of those in name brand items for probably 40% of the usual cost. Look on auctionzip.com, bidspotter.com, estate sales, even Craigslist if you are willing to travel a bit.

If you win at an auction, bring plenty of extra cash. The ones I have been to have frequently had items which not sell. You can get good deals from the auctioneers buy giving them cash.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I paid $400 for mine, for $500 you got a good deal with a DRO. Vise, collets and parallels and you're in business. Do a RPC. Cheap and easy at that HP.
    Miller Syncrowave 300(s)
    Miller 330 A/BP w/ WP-18 torch / WP-26 torch
    Miller CP-200 Haas / Kamp'd / CP-300 in process
    Homemade tig cooler
    Miller 30A /S-52E feeders

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Thanks Virgil,
    That would be my conclusion as well. I'm in a rural setting and I also am exposed to many voltage fluctuations. Occasional brown outs and voltage spikes when they try to restore power after branches fall on the line(because the will only cut branches 10' from the line). These recently took out my 50" TV. Had to replace the power board. I fear that VFD's might not like those conditions either.
    They should handle it pretty well actually, a good VFD will have protection built in and being that they are an inverter will compensate for voltage fluctuations to maintain the desired output.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
    They should handle it pretty well actually, a good VFD will have protection built in and being that they are an inverter will compensate for voltage fluctuations to maintain the desired output.
    That's good to hear but am I mistaken that I would need to buy and program a separate VFD for each machine whereas I could run any of my machine directly from a rotary phase convertor? Thanks for the info.
    ---Meltedmetal

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting an r8 spindle Chuck for er32 collets?

The biggest advantage I see is er32 collets blocks .. but not sure about anything else

Finally got it home
    Now to figure out the VFD situation and start tooling up.
    Name:  IMG_20181102_183755.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  129.7 KB

Where’s the vice. That’s about the first thing u need. Then end mills, parallels and fly cutter should get u started. These clamps I use a lot also

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8IJg&adurl=

I have to get it running first.

I do have parallels, one dial indicator.
    Still searching for a vise.

This is exciting! Congrats on the mill score! Once you have a mill/lathe in the shop/garage/basement you will wonder how you ever got anything done without one.

Luckily mine came with a vfd so I just had to plug it in and I was running. From what I read on the forums most any vfd works pretty well. Only thing I see the most of is get the biggest vfd you can (3hp I believe).

Then like mentioned:

1 Vise

2 Collets

3 ebay lot of endmills/cutters

4 clamp assortment.

From there I would only buy tools you need for jobs that come up along the way.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

look on ebay for a vfd, those chicom vfds work fine.. make sure to get the 3hp model, costs like $70... The 3hp model is overrated for want you need, but thats a good thing for life span of the vfd... I used a GE vat20 vfd that I sourced locally for $100.

The vfd literally turns it into a variable speed mill, actually makes the old mill much more user friendly, I had my vfd set to adjust from 40hertz to 80hertz or maybe it was 30-90hz... I also had a control box that had a switch wired to switch from forward to reverse, and had the rpm adjustment on it... I also had a panic button set up to a magnetic breaker and it was the master on off switch, worked very well..

I just sold my 72 bridgeport with vfd, 6" kurt vise, collets, clamp set and some endmills for $2200, with no readouts.. Yours looks like its an early 70's model, looks exactly like mine did..

bookmark www.shars.com
    Last edited by brucer; 11-07-2018 at 03:49 PM.