45XP Gouging Question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

45XP Gouging Question

I have never used a plasma cutter before (i own an oxy/acet rig tho) and ordered a 45XP from Bakers Gas last night that is scheduled for delivery Tuesday and have a few questions.

What is the difference is between "max control" and "precision" gouging? Not clear which is the most precise since they sound kinda the same.

I ordered the 851510 consumables kit with it, but it does not appear to come with a precision cutting nozzle. Does one come with the unit by default? The 220930 nozzle is the only change needed for fine cut correct? Same shield, electrode, swirl ring, and everything else?

Assuming there are some default consumable parts with the unit, is a gouging shield included?

Thanks.

Re: 45XP Gouging Question

Hypertherm’s site suggests that precision gouging runs at less than 25A and is used for things like spot weld removal on thin sheet metal.

As far as I know, ‘max control’ gouging is the standard gouging process for the 45XP, and runs up to the full 45A. I have used the max control gouging process on my 45XP and it definitely has its place....but doesn’t remove material like carbon arc does.

I think the ‘max control’ name was meant to stand beside the ‘max removal’ gouging process in the PMax 65 and 85. It’s a little confusing when just looking at the 45XP info...seems to make more sense when you see the whole lineup of PowerMax machines....as if to say that the 45XP gouging will be more controllable, while 65 and 85 gouging will have more material removal. Just my take on it, I’m sure Jim Colt could verify what the processes are if he sees this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djd775 is right with the explanation of the gouging processes. If you go to the www.hyperthercom site and go to the Powermax45XP product area you can find videos showing the different gouging capabilities. The 45XP is a 45 amp unit, it gouges quite well if you have some weld beads to remove, however it certainly will not gouge with a 600 Amp carbon arc process. Plasma gouging gets much more productive with more amperage, so to gouge as fast (or faster) than carbon arc you need 85 amps or more.

The default consumables that come with the kit are just a couple sets of cutting consumables. On the website you can find the contents that are in the kit you ordered.....if you cannot find it send me an email and I will go to the site and find it for you. jim.colt@hypertherm.com For fine cut you need the shield and the nozzle, the electrode, swirl ring and retaining cap are the same as for the other cutting processes. There is a "Finecut" swirl ring available.....however you don't need it unless you are having trouble getting the arc to transfer on thin material when hand cutting. In 99% of the cases this swirl ring is not needed. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by orcus45 View Post
    I have never used a plasma cutter before (i own an oxy/acet rig tho) and ordered a 45XP from Bakers Gas last night that is scheduled for delivery Tuesday and have a few questions.

What is the difference is between "max control" and "precision" gouging? Not clear which is the most precise since they sound kinda the same.

I ordered the 851510 consumables kit with it, but it does not appear to come with a precision cutting nozzle. Does one come with the unit by default? The 220930 nozzle is the only change needed for fine cut correct? Same shield, electrode, swirl ring, and everything else?

Assuming there are some default consumable parts with the unit, is a gouging shield included?

Thanks.

Correct djd775. I guess i could have waited and read the manual when it arrived today. Precision is 10-25 amps and uses some different consumables than the 26-45 amp maximum control gouging. I unboxed and tried it this evening since it came one set of maximum control gouging consumables. I was disappointed my gouging was not going as well as the videos i had seen. That after i had put the machine away and went inside, i realized that although i swapped all the correct parts for gouging, i forgot to set the machine to gouge mode. So i am looking forward to trying it again and betting it goes much better when you actually set it to gouge mode lol.

Jim Colt, this machine is pricey but still a value. Cuts like a dream and very well built. Very glad i chose it and didn't cheap out for a lesser machine. I was chucke2009's review of it on youtube that sold me on it by the way.

Generally when you see product videos the demonstrator is very experienced. You will get there....no one is an expert the first time a plasma cutter is used! The Hypertherm unit cost more to buy, however every time you use it you will save $$ over other plasma cutters through longer consumable life, better cut quality (less grinding, etc.), faster cut speeds, reliability, etc. If you track the use for years the Hypertherm almost always is the less costly unit with purchase price and operating cost combined over time. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by orcus45 View Post
    Correct djd775. I guess i could have waited and read the manual when it arrived today. Precision is 10-25 amps and uses some different consumables than the 26-45 amp maximum control gouging. I unboxed and tried it this evening since it came one set of maximum control gouging consumables. I was disappointed my gouging was not going as well as the videos i had seen. That after i had put the machine away and went inside, i realized that although i swapped all the correct parts for gouging, i forgot to set the machine to gouge mode. So i am looking forward to trying it again and betting it goes much better when you actually set it to gouge mode lol.

Jim Colt, this machine is pricey but still a value. Cuts like a dream and very well built. Very glad i chose it and didn't cheap out for a lesser machine. I was chucke2009's review of it on youtube that sold me on it by the way.