Anyone know the size of threads on an electric water heater's heating element - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Anyone know the size of threads on an electric water heater's heating element

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    yes that is handy but there is no way to mount an element protector to, the nipple provides threads on the inside of the tank to screw on an expanded metal element protector.
    Well sure it would. You use two and they would bolt back to back with tank sandwiched in between. Really simple and leak free and surely would stiffen up the element area for when you drop something down on element protector it won't bend or crack the silver soldered on coupler.

Re: Anyone know the size of threads on an electric water heater's heating element

That seems like a really long time to not have changed your cleaner, I would have thought it would not do a good job of cleaning. I used a mixture of 50/50 kerosene and mineral spirits once, It worked great but I hated the smell of both of them and they stunk the shop up. I would never drive a diesel pickup for the smell of diesel, I absolutely can't stand it.
    Kind of grew up with that smell so natural to me. Mineral spirits doesn't "stale" like kerosene or diesel fuel. Keep the lid closed and it doesn't evaporate very fast at all. It doesn't develop that pungent odor old fuel does either.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

I've gotten my parts, and now that I've had them in my hands I've decided to do things differently.

After trying a few different ways to do it, I have decided the simplest way is to weld the 1" steel straight through threads merchant coupling halfway through the tank instead of a 1" close coupling, waiting on a 1 9/16 hole saw to cut the hole in the tank.

The new way I decided to mount the electrical box is to cut a 4" square flange out of 10 gauge, drill a 1 9/16 hole through it, slip the flange over the coupling and tack it to the merchant coupling, pre-drill 4 holes in the flange and tap them for # 6/32 slotted brass machine screws and mount the electrical box to the flange.

The coupling's face needs to be flat sanded on a block of wood to clean and polish it's face up but it should be wide enough to seal.

I waiting for my hip to get better then I'll proceed. I jumped on the SILs tailgate like an idiot a week ago and have been in pain ever since, the pain is still there but has subsided appreciably.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

These are a safer method of heating a tank.

http://www.watlow.com/products/heate...-strip-heaters

But you have to make good contact with the tank. It is best if the tank is thick. You have to make clamps to hold them down about every six inches.

A one-inch pipe measures about 1 3/16" outside diameter. And about one inch inside diameter. Pipe diameter is measured as the inside diameter and tubing is measured as the outside diameter. Pipe holds true to that rule in schedule 40-pipe. If you go to schedule 80 or schedule 120 pipe, the inside of the pipe gets smaller than the size it is listed as.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    These are a safer method of heating a tank.

http://www.watlow.com/products/heate...-strip-heaters

But you have to make good contact with the tank. It is best if the tank is thick. You have to make clamps to hold them down about every six inches.

A one-inch pipe measures about 1 3/16" outside diameter. And about one inch inside diameter. Pipe diameter is measured as the inside diameter and tubing is measured as the outside diameter. Pipe holds true to that rule in schedule 40-pipe. If you go to schedule 80 or schedule 120 pipe, the inside of the pipe gets smaller than the size it is listed as.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    William, I don't understand how they would be safer? And looking over their wattages, it would take a few of them to warm the cleaning solution in a practicle amount of time, and covers would have to be made to protect them from becoming damageed and persons from comining in contact with electrical comnnetions. yes?
    I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country. ~Thomas Jefferson

William, I don't understand how they would be safer? And looking over their wattages, it would take a few of them to warm the cleaning solution in a practicle amount of time, and covers would have to be made to protect them from becoming damageed and persons from comining in contact with electrical comnnetions. yes?
    The wattages per square inch are lower but that is the idea. The immersion coils reach very high temperatures to deliver so many watts per square inch. That puts them at risk of failure. Those MGO heaters actually heat much faster than an immersion heater. Because you would be evenly heating the tank and solution.

The MGO heaters should be covered to protect against electrical short circuit and spillage. But if placed properly nothing will heat the tank more quickly. If you look at large indsutrial vats you will find these MGO based heaters clamped to them, often without a shroud.

The immersion heater is going to boil the solvent, the MGO heaters will just quicly raise its temperature.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Also, immersion heaters tend to change the chemicals make up because you are exposing the compound to such a high temperature.

Believe it or not, the lower temperatures actually, create less sludge and fallout of material in the tank.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Last edited by danielplace; 09-13-2018 at 09:41 PM.