Boat Trailer Converted Flatbed Mod's - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Boat Trailer Converted Flatbed Mod's

The last picture you can kind of see a triangle gap on the top corner. I am going to close that gap in with a triangle wedge. Then behind the light and stake pocket I will add more support from the bottom the the top and maybe evan one more triangle wedge at the bottom but that might be overkill. I'll figure it out when I get to that part. Wanting to get the lumber tomorrow so I can start treating it.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-11-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Got lights on the rear wired up so I could drive. Purchased the lumber for the deck and 200 x 5/16" x 2-1/2" bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers. Home depot and lowes were close in price so I checked Orchard supply to see if they would be any cheaper and discovered they are closing the whole chain of stores. Prices are 15% - 40% off everything in the store. I lucked out because all fasteners were 40% off and that saved me about 50% off what I would of had to pay at Lowes.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-12-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Got lights on the rear wired up so I could drive. Purchased the lumber for the deck and 200 x 5/16" x 2-1/2" bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers. Home depot and lowes were close in price so I checked Orchard supply to see if they would be any cheaper and discovered they are closing the whole chain of stores. Prices are 15% - 40% off everything in the store. I lucked out because all fasteners were 40% off and that saved me about 50% off what I would of had to pay at Lowes.
    Since you saved so much money you can run back to Orchard and get some carriage bolt washers (torque washers) ..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9608/205009594

I won't hardly do external wood anymore without using them. Much moe betta.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

well if I was using carriage bolts those would be just the ticket. I can't see how those will help out in my situation. Carriage bolts with domed caps would be great, I would be able to just drill the holes and drop the bolt into the wood. I never knew those existed. As of earlier when I purchased my fasteners, the plan is to drill the holes and countersink them flush to the surface so I can slide objects on the decks surface. Then I was thinking of using some kind of glue or sealer over the bolts to keep water from soaking into the bolt pockets in the deck.

Edit: those are 1/2" and I am using 7/16 bolts. other thing is at .70˘ ea. they would cost $140.00 for a 200 count. YIKES
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-12-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

well if I was using carriage bolts those would be just the ticket. I can't see how those will help out in my situation. Carriage bolts with domed caps would be great, I would be able to just drill the holes and drop the bolt into the wood. I never knew those existed. As of earlier when I purchased my fasteners, the plan is to drill the holes and countersink them flush to the surface so I can slide objects on the decks surface. Then I was thinking of using some kind of glue or sealer over the bolts to keep water from soaking into the bolt pockets in the deck.

Edit: those are 1/2" and I am using 7/16 bolts. other thing is at .70˘ ea. they would cost $140.00 for a 200 count. YIKES
    I think they were 70 cents a package .. Didn't look to see how many in a package tho. They make them in every size, but like you say you don't need them.

I went to the Orchard here that is shutting down, bought a bunch of odd ball sized nuts bolts and screws. Stuff I don't normally keep around and would have to make a special trip for later. Got some brass and galvy plumbing hardware too. Saved about 20% on a couple hundred bucks.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Lol I looked at the info on the page for the 1/2" carriage torque washers and the info says 1 peace per bag.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

I am not sure if I should but the boards up against each other on the sides or if I should leave a small gap like 1/8" - 3/16" for weather expantion/contraction as well as moisture control. Any one know if there is a standard for this?

In theory "in my head" I should but them up as close as possible maybe even strap each one up against the previously fastened boards so they remain tight and resist cracking and splitting as wood does when it deies and weathers.

I am thinking to treat the douglas pine deck boards with Kills white primer. I bought a 5 gallon bucket for my shed a couple of years ago. Hopefully it is still good. I am also going to make a trip to our local chemical waste disposal facilty about 3 miles from me to see what paints and other wood surface treatments they have in the room they have for free.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-13-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Carriage bolts work well but lots of work and $$$$. Most trailer wood decking use Torx screws today. Cost effective and affordable . I recently finish a hay wagon with wood deck. I used wolmanized lumber with 1/4'' space between boards. Since this was a paid job , I bought dedicated Torx wood screws for wolmanized lumber. I didn't know there were specific screws for wolmanized lumber. These screws are amazing compared to the basic cheap stuff I used before. I'm using Amazon as a example, naturally they popped up first.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_84b8bd20bk_b

I have some copper stuff but it is real nasty stuff not suppose to come in contact with. Not using pressure treated lumber. Those torx screws look like they would make the assembling of the deck boards go a lot faster.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

this is the stuff we used to treat lumber used in the old days when doing something on the wood boat (yeah I'm old)
    Name:  shopping.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  56.0 KB
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Henry that stuff is not cheap either. Wow about $130.00 for a little over a half gallon or 2.5L

Edit: going to go dig out the copper stuff and see it's main use and if I can paint over it.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

I have some copper stuff but it is real nasty stuff not suppose to come in contact with. Not using pressure treated lumber. Those torx screws look like they would make the assembling of the deck boards go a lot faster.
    Tony those screws are the nuts. Depending on the wood they usually suck it right down.
    That Torx or square head is almost non stripping too. You will definitely enjoy using them and price not bad.

Here is my drunk ramblings about the surface primer I put on this evening. Don't worry I'll deal with the other corner as well.

ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Tony, I paint my hay wagon decks , trailer floor, and trailer deck. I check the clearance section at Menard's. Color usually doesn't matter. I get a gallon of paint usually for $5.00. Inexpensive and works.

If I get some paint for free would it be pretty easy to die it black?
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

If I get some paint for free would it be pretty easy to die it black?
    Just be forewarned about mixing colors,there can be some real suprises and not what you expected.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding black die to a paint just like how home depot or lowes adds color to their base color paints. Anyway. It is going slow. Drilling holes is a real pita especially when I have almost 200 holes to drill. I am about half way done with drilling and bolting the deck down. I am bolting the decking together with out spacing and using ratchet straps to hold the boards in place for drilling and fastening. My rist, neck, elbows, shoulders, knees, and ankles are feeling it the most. I practically have to stand on top of the hand held drill to drill the 7/16” holes.

So far I have 88 bolts finishes and about 110 to go. I have been using the Drill Dr. 750X to sharpen the bits and add a split point to the bits. They don’t drill for $hit with out the split point.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-20-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

7/16 with a hand drill is a tough task, do yourself the favor to drill a pilot hole 3/16 and use a good cutting fluid...a rubber mat or knees protectors could ease the pain....have fun...

I could probably do the pilot hole if the smaller bit is long enough. I am going through the 1.5” decking before drilling the 1/4” angle iron below so I am not using any lubricant/coolant for the drill. I am getting nice long curly shavings from the cutting. I have had a few come out as long as about 10” or so which tells me the feed pressure and speed is good. I’ll try the smaller bit today and report back on how it goes.

I also cut the countersink holes on the deck surface before drilling the metal below the wood planks. I am doing this so the washer and bolt head sit below the deck surface and I won’t hang up on bolts when sliding crap on or off the deck plus I wont get a bolt to the knee when kneeling on the deck.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-20-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Oops I meant 5/16 holes but still hard for me none the less. I found a suitable bit that is about 3/16" for pilot holes. About to give it a go and see what happens. I might have the sharpen this 3/16" bit and put a split point on it as well. It's not HSS or Cobalt just some black coated Craftsman bit I got in a kit some 25 years or so ago. I think it was US made but not certain.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Good job brother. I am not hating by any stretch of the imagination, but it appears to me especially in the earlier photos, take more time prepping your metal, cleaning it.

I find dipping bit into transmission fluid or other light oil immediately after drilling each hole cool's and keep's bit sharp longer and more important,prevent's ruining bit from overheating. I never fasten boards at more than 60% of possible locations (usually about 40%). My flat bed utility has 16' 2x8s fastened at each end and nothing has come loose in over 15 years. It do rattle.
    Carriage bolts work well and don't require countersink.
    I've tried various treatments over the years and settled on Wolmanized. Used motor oil,diesel and such make's deck slick and dangerous when damp.

Snowbird, I used the 3/16" pilot bit before using the 5/16" bit and it does make drilling these holes a lot easier. Not necessarily faster but a lot easier on my body. Only problem now is it's too hot to do any thing in my backyard atm. I have a southern facing two story wall on the house and a big concrete slab. So the heat just radiates off the wall and ground. Then there is the sun beating down from above as well.

Thank you sapperb.

Jax rattles is one of the reasons I am fastening at every cross support. The other reason is if a weld breaks I have a more rigid structure to support the weight on the deck in hopes I won't have a catastrophe before I notice the problem. I was using an air gun to blow the bit off after each hole last night. Seemed to work ok. I don't think I will have to resharpen the HSS 5/16" bit after using the 3/16" pilot hole method.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

N2, 10 inches shavings your drill doctor is way better than my DD 500 15 years old and never really pleased me...glad the 3/16 drill

eases the pain, keep going, it' 62 f. here such a releif ;-)

My initial thoughts were it was a POS but that is because the drill doc was not lining the bit up properly with the sharpening wheel. Once I was able to get it all working properly on the 135 deg setting I drilled the bit and used it and was like dang. Now that's what I'm talking about. Sharp 135 deg split point bits are the shiznit.

Name:  20180920_133339.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  75.4 KB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-20-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A