Lubricant additive and fuel mileage
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lubricant additive and fuel mileage

Explain my confusion.

I have owned my Fuso FE145 since new in 2007, and I've continuously has a fuel mileage of 10 mph, regardless of when, or how I drive. I don't have a " lie-o-meter ". So I fill till tank is completely topped off, drive for a day, two or whatever, fill it back up, and take the mileage, and divide by gallons used. Again, I've been getting 10mpg since new.

Recently, I have been adding some Howes lubricity additive, both summer and winter. I just started rechecking my mileage again, and when I don't use the additive, I'm still at 10mpg. When I use the additive, my mileage jumps to 11.6 or so mpg.

What I want to know is why, by adding a few ounces of this stuff, while filling up, I gain over 10% increase in fuel economy????

What gives??? Anyone know??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Re: Lubricant additive and fuel mileage

does it raise the cetane level?

I still drive a 98 Chevy 3500 with the 6.5 turbopower(less) engine. 212K miles and I use Stanadyne performance additive every third tank, I see the same jump in mileage when I use it regularly. 14.5 without and nearly 16 with. It also starts better and has less white smoke cold. And idles quieter in cold mode. I think it's the cetane booster, I cant explain it but it does work.

So, cetane increase= more power= less pedal mashing????

In all honesty, I whomp on the pedal anyway. 4 banger turbodiesel in a 14,000 lb truck isn't exactly neck snapping.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

I have been using Motorkote for years. I put it in my air compressor, my tractor, my vehicles, mowers, my generators, my bush hog's gearbox, my finishing mowers gearbox and any gearbox or engine I own. I know it works because when the temps get below zero or around it my vehicles starters no longer growl.

I heard about the advantages of using Motorkote listening to a truckers radio call-in show on WLW 700 Cincinnati from 12-5 AM.

Call Bullshyt if you want, but my 20 HP Kohler air colled zero turn mower is a 1993 model and still runs like new, it sounds more like a turbine with it in it than a gasser. Same goes for my 1991 tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    So, cetane increase= more power= less pedal mashing????

In all honesty, I whomp on the pedal anyway. 4 banger turbodiesel in a 14,000 lb truck isn't exactly neck snapping.
    Yes, that's my understanding of how it works, makes the fuel easier to ignite leading to cleaner burning and more power. I would imagine easier ignition would even add a small amount of ignition "advance" to help get a bit more "push" to the pistons. All I know is the stuff I use works.

'

Just like octane booster for gasoline engines...
    But I prefer Cam 2.... 110 octane as is.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yes, that's my understanding of how it works, makes the fuel easier to ignite leading to cleaner burning and more power. I would imagine easier ignition would even add a small amount of ignition "advance" to help get a bit more "push" to the pistons. All I know is the stuff I use works.

'
    +1

higher cetane can reduce ignition lag so it has the effect of increasing the timing a bit.
    that can help with poor quality fuel, but also worn injectors/pumps etc where the diesel spray is not quite as good as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Just like octane booster for gasoline engines...
    But I prefer Cam 2.... 110 octane as is.

...zap!
    I'll try that stuff, my 2000 F250 V-10 likes 104 plus and gives me almost 2MPG using it, Ford guy explained that the engine is always searching for optimal advance with out knock. Better gas = better fuel economy. Unless the girlfriend drives it... she gets 2MPG less than I do on a tank and I get 14.5 out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    +1

higher cetane can reduce ignition lag so it has the effect of increasing the timing a bit.
    that can help with poor quality fuel, but also worn injectors/pumps etc where the diesel spray is not quite as good as it used to be.
    Well, then ill just have to try it in my 92 w250 Cummins powered ride. Ill do some driving, and see if the 1/3 bottle makes a difference in my 12v.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T man.