Speedglas 9100xx doubts - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Speedglas 9100xx doubts

I have had my windows uncovered since I got my hood 3-4 years ago. Don't notice them much but have used them a few times. They are nice when you are working around others who are welding. Just leave the hood down when changing parts or positions and you will never get flashed.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    My side covers haven't come off in 3 years and I weld all day long. Either you're not putting them in right, or they're broken.

FYI the covers arrived without the fitting holes punched out....as they need to be exactly the right size and perfectly round to stay in position a replacement set was sent under warranty.
    Last edited by MattFlinders; 11-23-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arbie View Post
    I have been using Speedglas for over 20 years and bought a 9100xxi a year or so ago after the lens cracked on my old 9000x. Anyway ..after a year of using it i just don't like it but not because of the side windows ( which annoy me uncovered due to the distraction of peripheral reflection of my own welding) but due to the weight and goofy feeling headgear...i often work out of position with my head tilted right over and the helmet just wonks around wherever it wants and drives me nuts. Down here in Aus it cost me a fortune which i was happy to pay to have the best but in truth i'm very dissapointed. Ive just bought a replacement lens for my old 9000x and now i wouldnt swap it for anything..feels like I've replaced a diving bell with a baseball cap.
    Anyway...just my take on it

I agree, this helmet is way too bulky, goes out of headgear adjustment too easily and is overpriced for what it is. I tried a Lincoln blue lens helmet....much better than the Speedglass for vision despite all the hype about it.
    Last edited by MattFlinders; 11-23-2018 at 04:53 PM.

About 30 years ago we got something like that with the side windows none of the welders liked them they too much light in. But then that was 30 years ago maybe they have changed them. First gen auto darkening atached to the mig gun when you pulled the trigger it darkened the glass.
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

I like the side windows as well. Make you see things around you when welding.

I have the 9100xx and on the 9100 they made a change to the pivoting so the helmet wouldn't stick up as far when you have it up. They also made it wider because people would burn their ears with UV light.
    Anyway, that's why it's different than the older speedglas models.