Speedglas 9100xx doubts
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Speedglas 9100xx doubts

I just bought a 9100xx but haven't used it yet, but I am having doubts and I'm wondering if I should return (if I can) before trying it.

I was told by the dealer it had 4 sensors, turns out to be 3.
    I had thought that the side windows either darkened or could be properly covered. Neither is the case. They are shade 5 and the plastic covers provided have no way of staying in place and are useless. I was taught at college that you can get peripheral eye damage just walking past someone welding, from the side. Bang up against the job with shade 10 or 11 on the front but only shade 5 on the sides feels too risky to me and no mention is made of this in the instruction book which is generally short on any detail and not particularly clear in what it does have to say.

I know there are many who love this helmet for it's great visibility, but the side windows alone have me worried. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Re: Speedglas 9100xx doubts

I'm a newbie myself in welding school now. I have the 9100XXI. My professor says its one of the best, comparing it to my classmates helmets I've tried, I love it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dealer must’ve been misinformed, the 9100xx as you said does have three, and if you bought it based on 4 sensors he should be good about taking it back.

I’ve been thinking about the 9100xxi, but the side windows have me wondering though. I’m not so worried about getting eye damage, as they are UV filtering shade 5. However it seems weird to me to have windows letting light into the hood and causing reflections off the main window.

I was gung-ho about getting one based on their reputation, but I will definitely be doing some welding with one before deciding to buy one. That’s a lot of money, and it better make one hell of a difference. I’m using Harbor Freights Vulcan Arc Safe Hood(Miller Digital Elite Clone), and its just as good as the real thing(using the digital elites at school). The digital elite is $215, the arc safe I got for 149.

Makes you think twice about spending all your pennies for the name... Speedglas is renowned though, wont pass judgement until I try one.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    ....the side windows have me wondering though. I’m not so worried about getting eye damage, as they are UV filtering shade 5.
    Surely if you need shade 10/11 on the front; you would need the same on the sides. It's not as if the side windows are at 90 degrees either.

I have a speedglass hood,really like it. I got it thru work for a maintenance school i took.

I think you'll find that the side lenses themselves, regardless of the shade, provide more than adequate UV protection. UV is where the eye damage occurs. The shade 5-to-13 thing is merely a brightness issue. For better peripheral view a lighter shade is probably better.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I believe mine is set to 10 or 11 on darkness.

I installed the side covers on mine... They haven't fallen off yet. I don't notice any light through them.

add what Sandy said and I think you will like the lid. ( UV / not shade #)

My biggest beef was the headgear.. but I just got used to it.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

And if all else fails......

Name:  16510e70-75c6-49a6-b5ee-9e8f8653b5e2_1000.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  56.2 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I installed the side covers on mine... They haven't fallen off yet. I don't notice any light through them.
    Can I ask why you decided to use the covers? And how on earth do you get them to stay on? Mine just have one long slit on the bottom but that doesn't hold them for more than a few seconds....I must be missing something.

See that's the thing.... you buy a helmet costing hundreds of dollars and you start off having to use duct tape to hold bits of it in place..that's just doesnt seem right to me and it's another reason why I'm doubtful about this lid.
    Last edited by MattFlinders; 09-08-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattFlinders View Post
    Can I ask why you decided to use the covers? And how on earth do you get them to stay on? Mine just have one long slit on the bottom but that doesn't hold them for more than a few seconds....I must be missing something.
    I found it annoying... Most times whatever I am welding is directly in front of me. All it offered me was a distracting light...

Maybe in a situation where you were crawling on your back and welding it a tight situation it would help?

now that I think about it, I may have put clear tape on the corners... I will take a look when this coffee cup is empty.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Speedglas 9100xx doubts

See that's the thing.... you buy a helmet costing hundreds of dollars and you start off having to use duct tape to hold bits of it in place..that's just doesnt seem right to me and it's another reason why I'm doubtful about this lid.
    Actually the plastic covers on mine fit really tight... with no tape or anything.

The only tape I used was around my cheater lens to keep it secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

JohnT, you can order a kit from Speedglas to hold the cheater lense. I can't figure why side lenses are needed, maybe just an extra bell or whistle for sales hype. My 100 is about 8 years old and, for their cheapest, has served me well as a hobbyist. Now if I had to use it in my pre retirement job, I don't know. It doesn't have a solar cell and I haven't had to change the battery yet.
    Mike
    Last edited by mla2ofus; 09-08-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

normally at work ive been using miller digital infinity for last couple months but i tried speedglas with side windows a few times and it was a bit distracting. maybe because i wasnt used to it. seemed like a good helmet other than i didnt care for the side windows but i would just cover them if i had to use it every day

Surely if you need shade 10/11 on the front; you would need the same on the sides...
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    ... you can order a kit from Speedglas to hold the cheater lens.
    The 9100 series has provisions for a cheater lens.

I have a 9100V (the smallest window) and have never had an issue with the side windows. I have never put the covers on. I don't really notice them.
    Tim

side windows can be a problem if your not used to them. nearly every helmet ive used didnt have the windows ,so they were quit a distraction for me. wether or not i could get used to them is hard to say because i rarely use that style of helmet

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    side windows can be a problem if your not used to them. nearly every helmet ive used didnt have the windows ,so they were quit a distraction for me. wether or not i could get used to them is hard to say because i rarely use that style of helmet
    I used to use an old FibreMetal non auto-darkening until the UPS guy dropped off the 9100V. I was curious as to if I'd like the windows or if I would have to cover them. As I said, I don't really notice them. It's probably an individual thing. Some will be bothered, others not.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pin2hot View Post

The 9100 series has provisions for a cheater lens.
    Yep. for whatever reason the lens was just a tad loose ... so I wrapped a little friction tape on each end.

works great now.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

I like the side windows. It takes a second or two for the weld to cool and the auto dark to shut off. So after stopping the arc I'll peek at the weld through the side window and can continue welding faster.

You don't notice the windows unless you want to.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post

You don't notice the windows unless you want to.
    Ridiculous.

Humans don't have the choice to shut off or ignore peripheral vision.... It is there and working (in most people)
    If you happen to lose your peripheral vision, that would be Tunnel vision. (a real medical condition)

You do NOT want that.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Ridiculous.

Humans don't have the choice to shut off or ignore peripheral vision.... It is there and working (in most people)
    If you happen to lose your peripheral vision, that would be Tunnel vision. (a real medical condition)

You do NOT want that.
    I do believe that humans have the ability to focus their attention and ignore outside distractions. They call it concentration.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

I used one with the side windows at work, (not a professional welder) we have 2 that have that write up. Anyway the side windows didn't hurt but they made it easier to see the stinger on set up. With someone welding about 10 feet away no eye strain.

I was filling in for one of our welders who was out on bereavement. Again not a professional welder, but they did pass xray certification. I also don't own a speedglass myself, but that's just because I haven't invested in on. Using a Miller Classic at home.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac