Cutting Method / Tool Options - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Cutting Method / Tool Options

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I have one on one of my 4 1/2" grinders right now and it's been great, a friend used it the other day and he liked it too, wonder what's going on with yours?
    Someone on here posted a picture of someone using a BIG cutting wheel on a hand held grinder, but I wouldn't recommend it!

While I can't speak for the OP on his experiences with the diamond metal cutters I have several likes/dislikes pertaining to them

Tough almost unbreakable.
    They don't get smaller as you cut.
    They won't explode at you.
    Less dust and particles.
    Water and chemicals doesn't seem to affect them.
    When they get worn out you can use them as scrap metal for welding!!!

Dislikes:

They don't cut as fast.
    They load up easier
    They take way more force/energy to cut stuff so not too great with battery tools.
    They don't like thicker cuts very much.
    They bend when dropped from only 10 feet
    After the first dozen or so cuts they cut even slower.
    They do not cut as clean and cuts take more cleanup.

I'm sure there are a few things I forgot both ways but this is just off the top of my head, this is in comparison mainly to import 5" .045" cutoff wheels both flat or depressed.

I picked up a few of these--->https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pack-5-...s/121554504321
    in the last quarter and they worked well, you can find discs about 10-15 cents cheaper but these still out last them by 2:1... now if you start buying some of the good name brand discs at 2-4 bucks a pop sure they last longer but not even 3 times as long!!! so for now I'll stick with these and a few of the lenox diamond jobbies for where they work best.
    Last edited by ronsii; 09-09-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Looked into several metal spinning places locally, the real challenge is in tooling setup being a HUGE cost up front, so it's not worth it. On the plus side, I found out there's a place that manufactures tank heads locally, so I'm talking with them to see if they can supply me with the parts I need. Bonus is that they have several sizes as stock items and regularly sell in small quantities, so there's some promise there.

I have one on one of my 4 1/2" grinders right now and it's been great, a friend used it the other day and he liked it too, wonder what's going on with yours?
    Someone on here posted a picture of someone using a BIG cutting wheel on a hand held grinder, but I wouldn't recommend it!
    ronsii covered most of my gripes pretty well in his reply, actually. The quick-and-dirty answer is they were more work for similar or lesser results than just burning through traditional discs. And yeah, I've started buying "decent" ones in bulk for exactly what he said there, too.

We had a HUGE band saw in the machine shop, it would cut a 36 or 40" pipe or solid and hold less than .010 tolerance.
    Yeah, I know they definitely make them in all sorts of sizes. I've asked at a few of the metal yards around that have the bigger ones, but they're a little gun shy about chopping up propane tanks for some random guy, lol
    -Joe

Hobbyist Metal Monkey and Tinkerer
    Lincoln Electric 140hd

With that budget I would think 7 inch grinder, hope for a good deal to pop up on Craigslist plasma cutter wise, or..

There may be a reason no ones mentioned it... but what about an Oxy fuel torch? I assume that propane tanks are ferrous correct? You’ll have the paint removed.. so I don’t see any reason why one wouldn’t work. If you browse the Craigslist for a week or two you definitely should be able to find a decent one for 500 or less. I got my huge tank set, torch, regulators, hoses, striker and cart for $300. Torch and regulators are Victors too. Just make sure you get owner tanks.

Going down that road a simple roller Jig would be easy enough to make. 4 casters, some flat bar to put them on, and whatever support structure to put them on(saw horse, build a tubing frame etc.) Make a simple jig to hold the torch if you don’t want to hand hold it, light it, adjust to neutral, hit the cutting lever, pierce, and roll the tank until finished.

If you don’t want that, the best thing I can think to mention is the 7” angle grinder. Should definitely go faster than the 4.5 get one with good amperage.

The other option, that you seem to be aware of is the cheap plasmas, but I would get an oxyfuel torch before I went that route.

I doubt you’ll be able to find a bandsaw with a large enough throat size for a 20lb propane tank for your budget, but you never know I suppose.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Remove the valve, screw in a nipple for the center, tack a nipple on the bottom
    weld a rod across the frame
    use the grinders handle threads to mount a grinder to the rod and it would slide across the rod to cut anywhere you want it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country. ~Thomas Jefferson

Here is one situation where the lenox diamond blades cam in handy... had to do quite a few of these cuts and generally speaking a 5 inch wheel reaches in just enough to get through the bar. Had the chip out each cut location so the less time spent on chipping the quicker the job got done... ie... smaller opening than ideal which would make quick work of regular abrasive discs.

Name:  lenox-bar-crete.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  53.2 KB

And here is a pic of one brand (hoteche) of cutoff's I do NOT recommend!!! they last about 1/10th what any of the others do.

Name:  hoteche-wheel.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  94.7 KB

Go to HarbaFart and get 2 pairs of BIG casters. Bolt them end to end on each end of about a 4 foot piece of 2 x 12 wood. Now you have you a West Va barrel roller/pipe/tube cutting or welding contraption.Of its round,put it on there.Move the casters as needed/if needed
    Coconuts dad has one and uses his Milwaukee metal circle saw to cut barrels and propane tanks in half. Works pretty fair. You could use anything to cut on that rig. Sawzall, jigsaw, torch.....axe, whatever.