Wiring truck for trailer
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wiring truck for trailer

Can I hook my my harness for the trailer wires to the main harness on the truck or do I have to do both left and right individually?Name:  A6E68342-B827-412F-936B-6D14DB718366.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  85.7 KB

Re: Wiring truck for trailer

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Can I hook my my harness for the trailer wires to the main harness on the truck or do I have to do both left and right individually?Name:  A6E68342-B827-412F-936B-6D14DB718366.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  85.7 KB
    Hopkins makes a direct plug in for the application. Go to etrailer.com and pick out the one that fits your needs. You unplug your harness, plug this into it, then reconnect your harness. Clean, watertight, and long lasting.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

That’s what I gotName:  4F174906-A5FF-43B4-86B9-8F1A92A5188E.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  80.6 KB

You have separate tail lights from the turn signals on the pulling unit, (truck) but tail/brake lamp combination on the trailer? There is an adapter for that but you can splice into the vehicle harness also.
    Slob

Lights and blinker are separate on the truck. I think trailer is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Lights and blinker are separate on the truck. I think trailer is the same.
    Yes, that is common and you do need a tail lamp converter for the two to work correctly together but both Hopkins, and Curt make ready made adapters that are plug in simple.
    Slob

Should be straight forward. One wire for ground, one for lights, one for brakes and the last two for left/right blinkers. Total of five wires. The one you got looks like it should work.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-09-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I've never had much luck with those 5 to 4 converters. I find they either flash all the lights at once or none after a couple of weeks. Your mileage may vary :-).
    I was lucky with my current, a Nissan Frontier, it's prewired for a trailer plug at the rear. All you need is a kit made for them which is three relays you install in the fuse panel at the right kickpanel and a harness that plugs into the truck harness at he rear and ur done. Was only $50 or so and saved a bunch of screwing around............Mike

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Should be straight forward. One wire for ground, one for lights, one for brakes and the last two for left/right blinkers. Total of five wires. The one you got looks like it should work.
    N2 I was wondering where to put the wires lol

Green is Right turn, Yellow is Left turn, Red is stop lights, Black is Tail/Marker, and white is frame ground. If the colors are standard.

Having done a fair number of truck and trailer wiring jobs I'd suggest adding a 7 pin (AKA 7-way) trailer harness to the truck in place of the planned 4 pin harness and using a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter to connect to your 4 pin trailer harness. That way you have the flexibility to pull trailers with 7 pin harnesses without digging into the truck harness again.

Another option is to change the part of the trailer harness that connects to the truck to a 7 pin harness which gives you a lot more options for trailer wiring. That gives you a 12 volt lead to the trailer for a charging an electric brake break away safety battery or a "house" battery for interior, work or porch lights, a 120 volt inverter etc. And it gives you the option of using the center pole that is energized when you put the towing vehicle in reverse for back up lights on the trailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
    Lance R

2012 Miller Bobcat 225
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC (x2)
    Lincoln LN-25
    Torch set

What kind of truck is it? If its anything normal you should be able to get a direct plug in adapter, it a universal like that. It will have factory style plugs to go into the harness, and then the trailer plug too. Quick and easy and water proof.