TIG stubby gas lense.......mine fell apart, grrrr.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

TIG stubby gas lense.......mine fell apart, grrrr.

Bought a gas lens kit from ebay..........a bewildering array available, but mostly all coming from China.

Even some of the USA sellers are importing china stuff and reselling it from the USA. That is what I bought......a stubby gas lense kit from weldingcity.com selling on ebay.

Bought the 3/32 stubby kit for use on a 17 series torch.
    Was using it on AC for an hour, then some DC at about 165 amps. In the middle of welding the end of the lens and cup fell off the torch?? The end that the cup screws onto is just press fit over the copper part that screws into the torch head. With heat.......the gap grew, and off it falls. Talk about a ****ty product! I pressed it back together, multiple attempts, but it no longer stays in place. Yes, the torch head was getting hot to the touch with use.

Anyone else had this experience?

Wondering why it is not silver soldered together?? Would the solder take the heat?

Anyway. now i need to buy new gas lenses. What to buy? Don't really want a repeat of that with more china stuff. It will have to be from an online source......non of the local welding shops carry any stubby tig torch parts.

Thanks for your thots fellas.
    Last edited by Spokerider; 09-09-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Re: TIG stubby gas lense.......mine fell apart, grrrr.

I had the same problem with those exact same lenses, ends would fall off, or the screens would fall out. I’ve got a new set from Arc-Zone that I will be trying out, they are pricier per unit, so hopefully the saying of “you get what you pay for” will hold true.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Yeah, pay once, cry once.

Let me know how the Arc Zone ones work. Are they soldered, or just press fit together?

https://weldmongerstore.com

That is Jody Collier's store (the guy from welding tips and tricks on youtube), just buy a CK brand kit. I have puddled with the Chinese kits, and most are crap. From falling apart, cups cracking and endless contamination, but it once and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200
    Lots of hand tools- NOTHING fancy

Yep that what happens with crap stubby gas lenses for aircooled torches.

At the recommendation of WeldTec I moved up to thier "Medium Stubby" gas lenses with the tellurium alloy collets. This medium is much more robust so no more burnout. Here is a chart but the PN is 45V26S for 3/32" tungsten. Problem is they are special order from your LWS.

http://www.tectorch.com/Rocker%20Tig...y_gas_lens.pdf
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Jody sells good stuff, I am sure the vendor Shovelon recommends is good, and I like the stuff from HTP America as well. That's all I use. I get my tungsten there too. http://www.usaweld.com/Gas-Lens-Kit-...gaslenskit.htm
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Lately my LWS (Delta Gas) has gone crazy on being a great CK dealer.
    Sure does make life easy for me.
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller 350P with Aluma-pro push-pull
    Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MigMax 215

Enuff power and hand tools to create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

Thanks guys. I'll look for some CK brand gas lenses.
    I only need the 1/6 and 3/32 sizes.....the other sizes I'll never use.

People need to stop buying sh*t from knock off suppliers and start buying quality.... aka CK Worldwide. Can't stand how everyone these days wants the absolute cheapest thing possible when they go looking for a product. Buy crap and you get crap. Buy quality items and 99% of the time that will be the last time you have to buy it. I guess im just different lol

2017 Everlast Powertig 210 EXT with a CK 20 and water cooler
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Quote Originally Posted by songer121 View Post
    People need to stop buying sh*t from knock off suppliers and start buying quality.... aka CK Worldwide. Can't stand how everyone these days wants the absolute cheapest thing possible when they go looking for a product. Buy crap and you get crap. Buy quality items and 99% of the time that will be the last time you have to buy it. I guess im just different lol
    I totally agree.
    The *tool* stores in my area pretty much carry chincom garbage. Not all chinese stuff is crap quality, they can and do make some good stuff........but, we choose to import the bottom of the barrel garbage.
    I can hardly find a tool made in Canada, the USA or UK / Europe in any store here. It's a piss off.

Why did I buy china gas lense? on the recommendation of tig welders on another site I visit.

Those cheap Chinese lenses probably would do ok for work less than 150A for short periods of welding. 17 series torches are normally rated for 150A after all , so perhaps if used within their specs they might have lasted.(longer anyways).

I got a new CK TrimLine which is a 200A 26 series Torch in a 17 series body. I frequently practice at 180A-200A on up to 3/8 steel plate, the increased cooling of the new torch and the new lenses I got from ArcZone are doing well so far.

I LOVE the new torch if anyone reading this is wondering. Absolutely awesome.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

I have been using Jody's stubby setup for quite sometime without any problems.
    I try to support his store because I constantly learn good ideas from his videos and he uses the money from the store to support his video's, no commercials
    Tom

I tried the weldingcity lenses.
    They effected the weld quality on aluminum at almost all amperage settings. I had bought so many it was hard not to try to use them. After proven in so many ways that they were junk, I simply had to throw them away because they were so hard to see the difference compared to quality.
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller 350P with Aluma-pro push-pull
    Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MigMax 215

Enuff power and hand tools to create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

Any of the major online retailers (MOST) of the time, im pretty sure will all carry CK or Miller products. But i would def consider supporting Jody aka the God of welding, aka Mr. Welding Tips and Tricks himself, aka www.weldmonger.com FIRST before anyone else to see if he has what you are looking for. AND he sells all CK products as well. I personally have purchased all the furick cups, gas lenses, collets and 2 tig fingers from him lol.

Side note, HTP/weldusa makes a ton of really good products and sells a ton of good products but when it comes to the gas lenses i would stay away. The quality seemed like it just was there and the argon flow was real unstable like.

Miller Multimatic 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Those cheap Chinese lenses probably would do ok for work less than 150A for short periods of welding. 17 series torches are normally rated for 150A after all , so perhaps if used within their specs they might have lasted.(longer anyways).

I got a new CK TrimLine which is a 200A 26 series Torch in a 17 series body. I frequently practice at 180A-200A on up to 3/8 steel plate, the increased cooling of the new torch and the new lenses I got from ArcZone are doing well so far.

I LOVE the new torch if anyone reading this is wondering. Absolutely awesome.

Interesting.
    Does it connect to a 17 series hose?
    Have you tried it on AC? How long can you weld until it's too hot to use?

All good comments guys, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by songer121 View Post
    Even the Ck small stubby gas lenses failed after long periods of alum welding at 200 amps. When the torch got too hot to hold I knew the small stubby gas lens was toast. And I hated the giant standard gas lens. Which is why I compromised and started using the medium stubby from WeldTec with the tellurium copper collets. They hold up so well that the thinwall teflon insulator is the weak link now. But I buy those in bulk and can stretch out the usage. Then I was burning up aircooled torches. Both Miller and CK cooked the silicon, and found that old school rubber solved that problem. Then my hands were getting cooked. So I found a 200 amp power cable that would fit my 17 rubber torch and not heat up. It has been a journey.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Interesting.
    I think they sell it as a complete package as well. I also am interested.

Yeah i can't really talk a lot about gas lenses for air cooled torches. Although i do have a 17, (for backup) ever since i got my water cooler and a ck 20 ive had not a single issue with heat... the only thing that gets warm is the cup itself. everything else is good and cool.

Miller Multimatic 215

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Interesting.
    I bought mine as an all inclusive package, torch, hose, and connector. All I had to do was put the end on and I was good to go, took all of 2 minutes.

Torch works awesome on AC, and DC. 200A @ 100% duty cycle on both I believe. My torch hasn’t gotten too hot to handle yet, even with nice skin tight gloves. Can’t say the same at all about the 17 series that was included with the welder. Sucker would have to go in the torch holder after a few T joints because it was too hot to handle all the way at the back of the grip.

As my first premium Torch, it’s definitely one of my most valuable additions TIG welding wise.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Even the Ck small stubby gas lenses failed after long periods of alum welding at 200 amps. When the torch got too hot to hold I knew the small stubby gas lens was toast. And I hated the giant standard gas lens. Which is why I compromised and started using the medium stubby from WeldTec with the tellurium copper collets. They hold up so well that the thinwall teflon insulator is the weak link now. But I buy those in bulk and can stretch out the usage. Then I was burning up aircooled torches. Both Miller and CK cooked the silicon, and found that old school rubber solved that problem. Then my hands were getting cooked. So I found a 200 amp power cable that would fit my 17 rubber torch and not heat up. It has been a journey.
    All this to avoid water cooling? Drop that air cooling like a rock and don’t look back.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    All this to avoid water cooling? Drop that air cooling like a rock and don’t look back.
    water cooled is not always an option or very convenient

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    Sure it is! I'll water cool a TV remote control if ya let me!
    1st person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    Millermatic 211 Inv. MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    Ur right it might not be sometimes. but if ur in a shop and constantly welding over 180 amps on ac or dc then i would try like hell to get a water cooler.... it will be the best money you ever spent on this hobby/job. PLUS the size of the torch body is sooo much better to work with, just makes life much more enjoyable! Literally the only neg i can think of is the price. Good thing is that once you buy it thats it.

Miller Multimatic 215

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Sure it is! I'll water cool a TV remote control if ya let me!
    I like your thought process... you could be a bad influence on me
    Tom