Keeping critters out of your shop!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Keeping critters out of your shop!

It is that time of year again and the local rodent population is looking for a place to setup housekeeping for the upcoming winter months. Anyone have any solutions for keeping them out of your stuff? Mothballs, fabric softener sheets, or ultrasonic emitters...do any work? I plan on getting a couple of lockers with tight fitting doors to store ppe in...other than that I am open to suggestions.

Re: Keeping critters out of your shop!

Big Cat... Seriously. I have a couple of roaming shopcats, both are fixed, male and female and nothing lives in my shop that is not meant to be there.

My welding coats and masks get hung on the wall racks. Mice never bother them there.

Would like to know how to keep them out of everything else though....

Terribly allergic to cats and dogs.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Big Cat... Seriously. I have a couple of roaming shopcats, both are fixed, male and female and nothing lives in my shop that is not meant to be there.
    Cut pieces of Irish Spring soap bars, and put them through out the shop. It works for cars, might work for a shop? People I know swear by it, even the Internet agrees with it working. Supposed to keep mice from chewing wires, etc, If nothing else, the shop will smell good. I keep some under the seats and in engine compartment of all my cars, so far, so good.

We use an exterminator, who puts out some kind of poisonous baits. Works great, and have not had any die in the house or in the walls.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I found something called Rodent Guards that go on the bottom of the weatherstripping on O/H doors. The mice had holes chewed at the bottom of the weatherstrip where they could sprint through and not break stride. I put the rodent guards on and plugged on mouse hole and haven't had a mouse come in the garage in 3 years, except for those that run in when the door's open.

Seeing the rodent guards, I'd have just made my own if I'd have know. Just a piece of sheet metal that bends around the bottom of the rubber on the weatherstrip. But everything else needs to be mouse tight. Now, if I could just make it fly tight. Annoying ba$tard$.

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies....al/WCSRG1.html
    Tim

Mine is constantly full of gas, grease, oil, solvents, paint spray, drill tailings, grinding tailings, dust dirt and welding smoke. Ain't healthy for them, they won't hang out there, they move over to the house and the wife deals with them.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

The one problem with my cats is they will occasionally set of the alarm (motion detector) That means a 25 minute drive to see the cat looking at me with that "what?" look on their faces. But I have no mice.

I have tried the electronic things.... fairly worthless IMHO, lately I got a couple dozen standard old school snap traps and just place them anywhere I think the little varmints might be commuting, I usually get a couple a week without using any bait and if I butter the traps up with peanut butter I can get double that number

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    The one problem with my cats is they will occasionally set of the alarm (motion detector) That means a 25 minute drive to see the cat looking at me with that "what?" look on their faces. But I have no mice.
    You should be able to "tune"your sensors so the cats dont set em off.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

good old mothballs will get rid of 90+% of mice and critters that chew up stuff....and some traps baited with peanut butter gets the rest...

Large glue traps.

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post
    Large glue traps.
    I like the good old standard mouse traps myself. Cheap and effective. Here’s another worry handed to us by the TreeHuggers , the new wiring in late model cars. Mice have been know to eat insulation from time to time before but that new environmental wiring some are using tastes like candy to the vermin. The Asian cars in particular. Just try to keep mice out of a car🤨

There's something So SICK about torturing-to-death a mammal, writhing & suffering, on a Glue Trap! (there's a Special Place in Hell for anyone who would do this.... )

Kill-'Em quick, Trap-'N-Release, or scare them away for Goodness Sake!!!

In my "out buildings" I scare everything away with Red Fox Urine Sent from Tinks (Mice, Squirrels, Rats, Raccoons, are All TERRIFIED at the prospect of livening around a Fox)

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    In my "out buildings" I scare everything away with Red Fox Urine Sent from Tinks (Mice, Squirrels, Rats, Raccoons, are All TERRIFIED at the prospect of livening around a Fox)
    I like this idea. Spray around the perimeter I'm guessing?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

So, this is after all, actual Urine And the rain probably washes it away pretty easily so you have to use it with that in mind and squirt it on the Underside of things to make it last (and even then it doesn't last that long, you use it at the right time of year when those critters are looking to "nest" for the winter). I have even soaked cloth/paper towel with it to act as a wick like thing. I'd say it works best Inside, in the rafters, sills or crawl space.

BUT, I have to warn you, this stuff is POTENT!!! It has a Very Strong stinky smell (when close it invokes your gag reflex...)

I use a needle & syringe to drawn in and spritz it out so I can be sure of keeping it off my fingers!
    Last edited by BaTu; 09-10-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Spray coconut oil in the critter trail. It's OVER. Really this idiot catches snakes, armadillos, butterflies,scorpoins, snap turtles