3 point winch/pole setup
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

3 point winch/pole setup

Has anyone built a winch/pole setup for the 3point on a tractor? I have the poles, winch, channel iron etc to fab it. Looking to get more lift capacity off the rear. Plus I could adapt it to fit the bucket on the FEL to place rafters or items where extend reach would be nicel Any pics or thoughts?

Re: 3 point winch/pole setup

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by brushtrooper View Post
    Has anyone built a winch/pole setup for the 3point on a tractor? I have the poles, winch, channel iron etc to fab it. Looking to get more lift capacity off the rear. Plus I could adapt it to fit the bucket on the FEL to place rafters or items where extend reach would be nicel Any pics or thoughts?
    In the mid 90's I built one for a farming outfit that fit the quick hitch on a 4850 John Deere tractor, Had an 18' boom made from 4"x6"x1/4" tube, used a 5"x36" cylinder to raise the boom from 0 degrees to 75 degrees. It had a set of feet that were used as outriggers when you set the 3 point down, had a 2500# hydraulic winch with a snatch block with 3/8" wire rope. They used it to setup and repair Center pivot irrigation machines. It was very easy to hook up and unhook, place the boom at zero degrees, drop a "kickstand" on the end of the boom and set the 3 point down til it sat on the outrigger feet. Pop the hoses and locks on the quick hitch and drive away. No, I have no pics from back then.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Welcome to the forum
    Thank you, I was registered as saltbranch here at one time. I cant recall the PW so after a few tries I created a new account. I think I would be classified as a hobby welder. I am not a pro by any stretch, but I do enjoy the fabrication side and learning from folks in the business.

farmersamm was starting a project on one but he got himself on a forced"sabbatical'" for now. maybe he'll return.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    farmersamm was starting a project on one but he got himself on a forced"sabbatical'" for now. maybe he'll return.
    Mike
    What the hell did Sam do now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

I did a forklift on a 3 point
    Works great in and shop

Dave

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Quote Originally Posted by jw3 View Post

Don't know for fact but I'm guessing he let the barleycorn start doing the typing.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Just look up AgCrane
    They come as close to doing it safely as can be done.

Relying solely on 3 point arms and the toplink once the boom goes above 45° gets very unstable, on the boom even if you don't flip the tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by jw3 View Post

What in Sam Hell !
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Usually curved for three point. If you have a front end loader, why the 3 point?
    As a teenager, I didn't have a loader, and my tractor was a Farmall Cub. I had a 1936 1-1/2 ton Dodge truck with an A frame off the front bumper. It was all come along work. I'd erect it laying two 20 foot trusses made from curved 2x1x1/4" channel on the garage roof. I'd pin the base of each to the truck bumper, then bolt them together on the roof. 2 comealongs were hung from the top, along with two cables. One went to the rear of the truck, I'd use it to hoist the A frame, then connect the cables to the rear corners of the truck frame. This was crude, but served as a means of lifting things too heavy for mortal lift.

When I first owned a three point tractor, I contemplated such a device, but found a loader to adapt to it. I was dumbfounded to find that although it came from a very different tractor, it bolted to mine.

I still have that tractor, 32 years later. #2 son removed the loader 'cause that day he believed it'd be slightly more convenient without. It never got put back on. These days it's the Case 580K multi tool, or a IH 385 with full hydraulic loader.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Usually curved for three point. If you have a front end loader, why the 3 point?
    As a teenager, I didn't have a loader, and my tractor was a Farmall Cub. I had a 1936 1-1/2 ton Dodge truck with an A frame off the front bumper. It was all come along work. I'd erect it laying two 20 foot trusses made from curved 2x1x1/4" channel on the garage roof. I'd pin the base of each to the truck bumper, then bolt them together on the roof. 2 comealongs were hung from the top, along with two cables. One went to the rear of the truck, I'd use it to hoist the A frame, then connect the cables to the rear corners of the truck frame. This was crude, but served as a means of lifting things too heavy for mortal lift.

When I first owned a three point tractor, I contemplated such a device, but found a loader to adapt to it. I was dumbfounded to find that although it came from a very different tractor, it bolted to mine.

I still have that tractor, 32 years later. #2 son removed the loader 'cause that day he believed it'd be slightly more convenient without. It never got put back on. These days it's the Case 580K multi tool, or a IH 385 with full hydraulic loader.
    There are things that my FEL does not have the power to lift. With the W/P setup I can get more leverage to lift heavier items.

There are things that my FEL does not have the power to lift. With the W/P setup I can get more leverage to lift heavier items.
    Have you checked how much Hydraulic pressure the tractor is putting out?

If it’s low you can shim The pressure relief valve spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Have you checked how much Hydraulic pressure the tractor is putting out?

If it’s low you can shim The pressure relief valve spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well?
    Till the Front Axle breaks!